4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Chrysler to file Bankruptcy

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 02:35 PM
spoon
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone considered not picking up their truck? I assume that all that was required was a small deposit to order it and that no papers were signed?

Old 04-24-2009, 02:40 PM
v8440
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm beginning to think my particular body style and drivetrain combo will have better resale value than most. It probably wouldn't actually appreciate anytime soon, but a rcsb hemi 2wd '09 isn't easy to find in most areas, and it will outrun just about any stock pickup truck except for an srt-10 or blown lightning.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:52 PM
j-rod82
Rookie

Originally Posted by 94rt10ohio
It is possible it will not be allowed and they will be liquidated. That has been the talk all along... No deal with Fiat means it will be sold off.
The way I understand it is that Chrysler will file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

Under Chapter 11: The debtor usually remains in possession of its assets, and operates the business under the supervision of the court and for the benefit of creditors.

Now if they had to file Chapter 7 Bankruptcy then that is when all is lost.
A Chapter 7 filing means that the business ceases operations unless continued by the Chapter 7 Trustee. A Chapter 7 Trustee is appointed almost immediately. The Trustee generally sells all the assets and distributes the proceeds to the creditors.

A quick google search helped me with that.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:28 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

94rt10ohio is right. They can file anything they want, but it still has to go before a judge, and in this case there will be forces pulling in different directions. Thier creditors might prefer to cut and run asking that they be liquidated, while the government may not want them to file at all, or at the very least file in a way that protects thier investment and union obligations. The only reason that I can see for Fiat to even want to become involved in this whole fiasco is to get some of that free US gubment cheese being thrown around.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:42 PM
spoon
Professional

Fiat is looking for a cheap way to break into the US market. Chrysler, or parts of it that survive, may be the perfect engine to achieve this.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Dr. Bill
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Fiat already cut and run on the US market before. The cars were such crap they would not sell. I cringe at the thought of Fiat being involved with Chrysler.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:41 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by qicvick
http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...rumor-floated/

this site is not buying it
sounds like a plug to sell papers, rewording something as news that is old news
thats the same site that has reported such profound ideas as the challenger rt being launched with an msrp of 20 grand...

Old 04-24-2009, 06:03 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Talked to my salesman today. All dealers got a message. I am not going into details, but lets just say the jist of it would be the subject is not true.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:27 AM
ShirtaDay.com
Banned

Originally Posted by mopowar
It seems that Chrysler is doing it's best to honor the prior commitments like pensions
and health insurance for retirees, but I think that bankruptcy would allow them to do whatever they want going forward, but restructuring going forward is doomed to fail as long as the UAW is involved unless they make major consessions. The whole thing; the union contracts, thier pension structure, etc. has made for one **** poor business model.
If they were wise, they would model it after toyota.

Unfortunately, you are dead on with the 40% thing. I was in a union back in the 80's that had to make consessions in order to get work, and this was the attitude with most.
What we need is a panel of shrinks to figure out where this sense of entitlement started in this country, and how to get rid of it.
Chrysler would LOVE to get rid of all of their commitments, contracts, etc. with the UAW an pensions. And Chapter 11 bankruptcy can very well do that and allow them to bring in new labor if the UAW does not make concessions. Once Chrysler is in bankruptcy, the UAW will have little power, so it would be wise for them to make concessions now if that can save Chrysler.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:28 AM
ShirtaDay.com
Banned

Originally Posted by v8440
I'm beginning to think my particular body style and drivetrain combo will have better resale value than most. It probably wouldn't actually appreciate anytime soon, but a rcsb hemi 2wd '09 isn't easy to find in most areas, and it will outrun just about any stock pickup truck except for an srt-10 or blown lightning.
Also won't outrun a stock Tundra RC 5.7.

Quick Reply: Chrysler to file Bankruptcy