4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Chrysler to file Bankruptcy

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 09:32 AM
ShirtaDay.com
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94rt10ohio
Talked to my salesman today. All dealers got a message. I am not going into details, but lets just say the jist of it would be the subject is not true.
I wouldn't put it past Chrysler to mislead (lie to) dealers to keep them quiet and happy so that rumors don't spread as fast.

As a side note, if Chrysler does even file Chapter 7, warranties are a higher class of obligation than any other type of debt, so our warranties will somehow be honored. They may very well even be insured. They might have to setup a trust to take care of warranty claims if Chrysler completely went away, but we should be safe, so there's no need to cancel truck pickups.

And lastly, if Chrysler were to file Chapter 7 to satisfy debtors, the profitable lines will be sold off and will survive. Those include the Wrangler and GC as well as the Ram and the T&C. These vehicles will not go away even if Chrysler does. The Viper too may very well be sold off, but for pennies.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:50 AM
gonzo14
Default Fiat rules in Europe!!

Originally Posted by Dr. Bill
Fiat already cut and run on the US market before. The cars were such crap they would not sell. I cringe at the thought of Fiat being involved with Chrysler.

Dr Bill, I have to dissagree with you on this one. Fiat was known for its motto: "Fix it again Tony" in the 70's and early 80's, but has changed 180 deg's since then. They are one of the biggest companies in Europe right now and Chrysler can use their small car technology. I really hope this deal goes through (merger). Remember an Italian (Lee) saved Chrysler in 1982 (paying back a 10 yr govt loan in a record 2 yrs!!!), and now another Italian (Sergio) has the chance to take the helm and guide Chrysler past Ford and Chevy!! This man had a "movie" like career at Fiat, bringing the company from near Bankruptcy in 2004 to profitability in just 2 years!!! Fiat must be a great company at this time, since they are one of the few making a profit in Europe right now.

Gonzo (and yes, I am Italian--LOL)

Last edited by gonzo14; 04-25-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:27 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by gonzo14
Dr Bill, I have to dissagree with you on this one. Fiat was known for its motto: "Fix it again Tony" in the 70's and early 80's, but has changed 180 deg's since then. They are one of the biggest companies in Europe right now and Chrysler can use their small car technology. I really hope this deal goes through (merger). Remember an Italian (Lee) saved Chrysler in 1982 (paying back a 10 yr govt loan in a record 2 yrs!!!), and now another Italian (Sergio) has the chance to take the helm and guide Chrysler past Ford and Chevy!! This man had a "movie" like career at Fiat, bringing the company from near Bankruptcy in 2004 to profitability in just 2 years!!! Fiat must be a great company at this time, since they are one of the few making a profit in Europe right now.

Gonzo (and yes, I am Italian--LOL)
You have a great mastery of the Enlish language for an Italian. I think you are right. A merger can only help Chrysler, but they will never be profitable as long as the unions are involved.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:38 PM
gonzo14
Default Unions

Originally Posted by mopowar
You have a great mastery of the Enlish language for an Italian. I think you are right. A merger can only help Chrysler, but they will never be profitable as long as the unions are involved.

Your right about the unions Mopowar, they are the toughest to negotiate with, to say the least. But their is good news on this front also, if you havent heard yet; the CAW (Canadien Auto Workers) have agreed to cut wages by $19, to $57/hr, which is what Fiat was asking for. This is in order to be on the same level as the Jap's manufacturing plants in Canada. We have to wait for the UAW now. The Japanese dont have to deal with this crap, thats why they're so successful!! Dodge cars of today are every bit as reliable as most Japanese cars and trucks, its just convincing people to start buying them now. lets hope for the best....Its not over yet....

Gonzo

Old 04-26-2009, 12:32 AM
kxwhite
Professional

i just cant believe being paid $57/hr for working on an assembly line!!

i do believe that number also includes their pension and benifits but still that is crazy!

Old 04-26-2009, 09:15 AM
v8440
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShirtaDay.com
Also won't outrun a stock Tundra RC 5.7.
Perhaps not every time, but at least part of the time. Hell, even the tundra guys on one of the forums are saying it's a driver's race.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:15 AM
KeepOnTruckin
Default Customers are safe

I wish an attorney would log on and give us advice. But in that absence (I am not an attorney), here’s what I know.

If Chrysler files for bankruptcy, the court decides all measures against and for the company. Petitioner may ask whatever they want but the court makes final decisions. Biggest loser in this case is UAW. Customers should be protected.

Here’s a real life example of what happens from where I live: The City of Vallejo (CA) budget was 80% paid to fire and policemen due to bad contracting. Before the City filed and after many months of useless negotiation, Vallejo threatened bankruptcy.

The union reply was basically, “Aw, you won’t file for bankruptcy. Hrmph. No, we really like these generous contracts; we don’t wanna give up a dime. Go stick it, Vallejo.”

Vallejo wasn’t threatening. It had no money for anything besides union contracts, so with their back to the wall, it filed. Guess what happened? Vallejo got permission to fire their firemen and policemen and readjust these contracts. What did the union get? Nothing. Other fire and policemen resigned. Stations closed. Vallejo has less protection but somehow its citizens adjusted and seem to be getting along just fine.

The UAW must understand this and I think they do. It’s all positioning and bluster. UAW must publically say they’re protecting workers but behind closed doors they’re negotiating with Chrysler because if it doesn't, it loses members, new enrollment, dues and their own bonuses.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:38 AM
drober30
Veteran

I agree. This is not a company crying wolf. The UAW has no options other than to negotiate. Well the other option is unemployment which has an affect on more than just them.

Oh well... I did my part... 2009 Sport Crew Cab 4x4.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:55 AM
HEMI_ROM
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by v8440
Perhaps not every time, but at least part of the time. Hell, even the tundra guys on one of the forums are saying it's a driver's race.
Yes the lightning is slightly quicker due to its weight advantage but certainly not because it’s more powerful. Putting a supercharger on the 5.4L only renders 380HP? Among stock gasser V8 trucks the 09 Hemi produces more HP per CID than any other that I am aware of. Now if a programmer appears for the 09 Hemi that can unbridle the ubiquitous “torque management” the Ram can finally get more of that power to the ground where it belongs. The Tundra RCSB is one quick truck and I would agree it could go either way against a Ram RC, until that programmer appears anyway. Titans are still quick but no match for an 09 Hemi RC and the F-150………well it’s still hauling around a boat anchor of a motor. If Chevy ever puts the 6.2L in a RC that would be one sweet truck too!

Old 04-26-2009, 05:26 PM
RamAirman
Rookie

Quick Reply: Chrysler to file Bankruptcy