4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Chrysler to file Bankruptcy

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 05:54 PM
jhedger
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They either forgive some of the debt or lose it all when/if they file bankruptsy...it's that simple.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:42 AM
gonzo14
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jhedger
They either forgive some of the debt or lose it all when/if they file bankruptsy...it's that simple.
Looks like benz is now realizing this, breaking news: Daimler, which this week closed the final chapter in its volatile and expensive relationship with Chrysler, the carmaker now seeking a partnership with Fiat to help it avoid bankruptcy. Read more here: http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/28/dai...ity-autos.html

Now, like I said before, its up to the major debt holders to forgive some of the Chrysler debt, if not, then its questionable whether Fiat will merge before the deadline. It will probably wait and get what it needs in Chap 11 after the 30th. We'll see....

P.S. I did my part----Purchased a crew sport 4x4 on 03/27/09 (first dodge ever purchased), and believe me, IT WAS HARD!! I've been a chevy man all of my life, and still own a fully restored '68 vette.

Gonzo

Last edited by gonzo14; 04-28-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:28 AM
gonzo14
Default creditors and Treasury come together!!!

Another breaking story as of this morning: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...042801241.html Now its up to Fiat to go through with the merger!!!

Gonzo

Old 04-28-2009, 11:01 AM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are going to make it, IMO. They needed three things to happen, with two of them down.
1. Get the unions to make a deal. They did. The UAW will hold 55% stake in Chrysler.
2. Drop their debt down. It has gone from 6 billion to 2 billion. The banks realized with a chapter 11 they would lose more money.
3. Get Fiat. It is in the works.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:35 AM
spoon
Professional

Restructuring debt and reorganizing any busy is often best done under extreme duress and under threat of Chapter 11 or worse. Any company will emerge healthier, leaner and more efficient. Lets just hope the production and quality dont suffer in the process. I also am of the opinion that they will make it but at the same time also hope that they do away with some of the quirckier small cars that Chrysler and Dodge make.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:52 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Here's a good article:

http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/28/news...ney_topstories

Things aren't finalized yet in regards to the unions, but it looks like there is hope.

If Fiat joins Chrysler their small cars will be replacing the current Chrysler small cars. I wouldn't mind driving an Alfa Romeo.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:19 PM
gonzo14

Originally Posted by Sobomaster
Here's a good article:

http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/28/news...ney_topstories

Things aren't finalized yet in regards to the unions, but it looks like there is hope.

If Fiat joins Chrysler their small cars will be replacing the current Chrysler small cars. I wouldn't mind driving an Alfa Romeo.
Yes, the alfa spider is a great car. Hopefully Fiat will include Alfa Romeo's on the same lot as the Rams, and Challengers!! That would be different!! LOL LOL. How about selling Ferrari's on a Dodge lot!! LOL LOL I guess it isnt too far from humerous, after all, Vipers are in a catagory that compares to Ferrari (although the Viper is a LOT cheaper, or less expensive).

Gonzo

Old 04-28-2009, 03:50 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by mopowar
It seems that Chrysler is doing it's best to honor the prior commitments like pensions
and health insurance for retirees, but I think that bankruptcy would allow them to do whatever they want going forward, but restructuring going forward is doomed to fail as long as the UAW is involved unless they make major consessions. The whole thing; the union contracts, thier pension structure, etc. has made for one **** poor business model.
If they were wise, they would model it after toyota.

Unfortunately, you are dead on with the 40% thing. I was in a union back in the 80's that had to make consessions in order to get work, and this was the attitude with most.
What we need is a panel of shrinks to figure out where this sense of entitlement started in this country, and how to get rid of it.
Toyota is suffering too, do let them fool you. They are just not so stupid as us North Americans and blabbing all our weaknesses to the media. That is our biggest problem, big mouths. They asked last month Mar 3 to be exact http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001028,00.html

Old 04-28-2009, 03:52 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by sarguy01
They are going to make it, IMO. They needed three things to happen, with two of them down.
1. Get the unions to make a deal. They did. The UAW will hold 55% stake in Chrysler.
2. Drop their debt down. It has gone from 6 billion to 2 billion. The banks realized with a chapter 11 they would lose more money.
3. Get Fiat. It is in the works.
CAW is on board too!

Old 04-30-2009, 05:02 PM
Dr. Bill
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It looked like Chysler was getting enough concessions to avoid the filing, but I guess not. They filed chapter 11 today. That is what Obama's team wanted and that is what they got.....control.

Quick Reply: Chrysler to file Bankruptcy