4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Should you Overpay to get the last RAM

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 06:58 PM
HEMICrew
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shumdit
I do not think dealers are getting $3500 per truck now, and at least according to Edmunds it's only $2500 for the rebate and another $1000 for the dealer, which means $3500 total. You can add the $1000 if you own a Chrysler product, but statisically most people do not. The same applies for the $500.00 military rebate. Not many people will qualify. The credit union $1000 is a much better chance to qualify for. Still that means $4500 plus the $4000 or so markup ($5000 is a close to best case scenario since a ST RC won't have near that built in margin) they have puts you at about $8500 if the dealer is willing to sell at invoice.

Also, DAVIDNM posted the F-150 is the best selling truck and has been for years. I disagree with that statement. If you add the Sierra and Silverado numbers up (and they are the same truck), they outsell the F-150 regularly. To me, it's always been odd that GM did not claim that title since it's clearly theirs in a reasonable person's viewpoint.
Edmunds shows $3500 for Dealer Cash, $1000 for Green Dot and $2000 for Red Dot (Based on invoicing date). We've had a GM on here confirm $3K rebate at least for Southwest Region in addition to $1000 Credit Union and $500 military if you qualify. It's really confusing and I'm not sure even the dealers really know. Dodge's site only shows the $1000 Owner Loyalty Rebate.

Come on Chrysler...for the sake of your dealers and the rest of the people looking to buy your AWESOME Ram truck...GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!!

Jason

Old 05-07-2009, 10:44 PM
LouisianaZJ

Need some help on a 2500 purchase

09 2500 4x4 sxt CTD
Sticker $45.56k
invoice ~41.5

dealer cash $4k
owner loyalty $1k

Last offer was 37k +ttl from the dealer.. kept them hanging

Is it reasonable to get down to 36,000 +ttl.. I figure lowest possible is 35,100 if you take out 3% holdback and all incentives, leaving min profit $900

Last edited by LouisianaZJ; 05-07-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:11 AM
segwyo

Originally Posted by LouisianaZJ
Need some help on a 2500 purchase

09 2500 4x4 sxt CTD
Sticker $45.56k
invoice ~41.5

dealer cash $4k
owner loyalty $1k

Last offer was 37k +ttl from the dealer.. kept them hanging

Is it reasonable to get down to 36,000 +ttl.. I figure lowest possible is 35,100 if you take out 3% holdback and all incentives, leaving min profit $900
WOW!! Are you sure you want them to make the entire $900???? That's REALLY generous! Let's see, we pay about $200 to $240 a month to have the truck sitting our our lots so you can come and drive it and look at it. But I guess we still have all that "secret" dealer money everyone likes to talk about! Pay the dealer a fair profit. You go and pay 50%, 75%, 100% markup on electronics, ***elry, furniture, etc and then want to negotiate the 5% to 7% in the most expensive vehicles. What do you do for a living? Does someone make a profit from it? But I agree, keep 'em hanging! Hopefully they'll sell the truck.

Last edited by segwyo; 05-08-2009 at 03:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-08-2009, 03:40 AM
stmfttr05
Amateur

Originally Posted by segwyo
WOW!! Are you sure you want them to make the entire $900???? That's REALLY generous! Let's see, we pay about $200 to $240 a month to have the truck sitting our our lots so you can come and drive it and look at it. But I guess we still have all that "secret" dealer money everyone likes to talk about! Pay the dealer a fair profit. You go and pay 50%, 75%, 100% markup on electronics, ***elry, furniture, etc and then want to negotiate the 5% to 7% in the most expensive vehicles. What do you do for a living? Does someone make a profit from it? But I agree, keep 'em hanging! Hopefully they'll sell the truck.
"FAIR PROFIT" since when is it fair to charge $45k for a pick up with 18 mpg if your lucky? should i feel bad for you sales people? No i wont, and this is why. I priced out a '09 Ram on the dodge website 3 weeks ago and it was $34,543. Then i called a dealer in my area and he told me that theres no way that the truck i wanted is gonna sell for under $37,352. i emailed him a link to the website and never heard back again. dealers should make money, but when they start charging more than the dodge website says is the price and calling you a liar about the price, thats when i get upset. i'm trying to do my part and buy american, but if the dealerships are gonna dick me around, guess what i'll buy a german car with a better warranty and better standard equipment.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:41 AM
DavidNM
Rookie

Originally Posted by segwyo
Hey - you all put this system into place years and years and years ago - not us! How many people went in to negotiate a fair price on an automobile and found themselves sitting in a back room getting worked over by Skip the manager and Chip the assistant manager? Getting told we can't leave because you've got our trade-in out on a test drive. Being told to 'just take the car home tonight' only to be told the next day we had to come back with another 2K down payment.

How many people walk away after buying a car scratching their heads and wondering what the hell they just negotiated? $3k dealer incentive holdback cashback rebate -- $1K loyalty discount -- $2K regional SouthWestern United States discount? What the hell is all of this?

One time in the past I had to call the POLICE and threaten to file kidnapping charges to get a car dealer to give a girlfriend back her trade-in and let her leave a dealership. One time in the past I was called back to the dealership and told that they 'made a mistake' and I needed to come up with another 2K down payment and that they had sold my trade-in and they couldn't get it back.

There are millions and millions and millions of these stories where the automobile industry has abused buyers who were just trying to negotiate the labyrinth that the American automotive industry has put together to 'work over' and abuse the buyer.

You talk like the American auto buyer owes the American auto dealer something - really?

Shame on you!

Shame!

Old 05-08-2009, 05:29 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

IF, and I mean IF, this guy is a GM at a dealer in Alaska he should understand having an attitude towards customers, his or otherwise, is not only bad for him, but bad for Chrysler. Wonder what they would think about it.

The customers are not the issue....

Old 05-08-2009, 08:57 AM
jram99
Veteran

OK, I've stayed away from this thread because I am an extreme conservative and believe in the free market system 100% and in personal responsibility, and sometimes it gets me into trouble even with people I consider as friends.

To the original question "Should you over pay to get the last ram?" Hell no, you should never over pay for anything. Should the dealer be allowed to make a profit? Hell yes and as much profit as they can! All this talk about dealers having you in the back room and test driving your trade is crap. If you don't like the deal walk away. As consumers, it is our/your responsibility to determine what you are willing to pay and stand by it. If a dealer can't get to where you want them to be then walk away, it's a simple concept. You are in charge, not the dealer. With that said, why is it that every person believes that they or their company is the only ones that should be allowed to make a profit. I hear this crap from my brother all the time and it's sickening. Not making a profit and the largest profit you can defeats the whole purpose of being in business. Why do sports stars make millions for playing games? I never hear anyone bitching about that, why do movie stars make millions for acting? The answer is because people are willing to pay hard earned money to watch. We bitch about the cost of healthcare and how lawyers are ruining our county, but nobody wants to bitch about the cost these professionals have to incure to learn their trade. The debt that most of them carry for years after they are done with school. I'm getting off track here but my point is if you own a business then it is your right to try and make as much money as possible, if you are a consumer then it's your right to say "screw that" I'll go somewhere else. Bottom line is don't over pay if you can help it. And remember, deals are different in different parts of the country. Maybe a sticky thread can be started that shows what people paid for their new truck by state. Something simple but informative, like state, model, options that cost extra only, list and the deal you got before TTL or any dealer add ons, and the dealer you went to. I consider the dealer hold back to be built in profit for them direct from Chrysler Corp. I think of that as their money and it's non negotiable. I will fight for every other penney they get, but not that.
OK I'm done, let the flaming begin!! Jeff.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:32 AM
DavidNM
Rookie

Originally Posted by jram99
All this talk about dealers having you in the back room and test driving your trade is crap.
Actually all of this really happened - and it happens today.

This isn't about being a conservative, or a free marketer, or a republican or a capitalist or anything like that. That has nothing to do with this discussion.

This has to do with the fact that the automotive industry in the US has created a system of purchasing that is, in many ways, a phycological mind-F--k and the 'average joe' buyer needs to be prepared. 1/3rd are prepared, 1/3rd are kind of prepared, and 1/3rd get totally fleeced.

Here's a great article: http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...2/page001.html

Old 05-08-2009, 12:17 PM
segwyo

Ok. which part of FAIR profit did you all NOT get? That is what I said. But like I said, look at what you do for a living? Anybody in a construction trade of any kind? Why is it I can get different bids on the same exact job and the prices can vary wildly? Hmmmm, sounds like someone else in America is trying to run a FOR PROFIT business! Is it shame on them? Look at whatever business you are involved in, does it make money? I would assume so since they employee you and probably others. It is not a good business model to sell your goods or services for LESS than what you pay for them. Is it? You have NO IDEA what it cost us just to keep the doors of our dealership open every month. The cost that ANY business has and has to recover somewhere. And just like in ANY business, there are shady people and they will screw you around. I'll be the first to tell you, if that's the type of dealer you're buying from, DON'T. They will be the ones closing their doors.
And just to address the situations that can happen with more money having to be put down the next day and all those types of situations, that is very likely the bank screwing the dealership around. Just getting a deal financed for a customer is a flipping nightmare these days. And it doesn't matter if your a 800 on the credit bureau's. Chrysler Finance is so worthless we can't even use them anymore. We now have GMAC as a captive lender, who knows how that's going to work.
So I'll again just say pay a FAIR profit to the dealer. They cannot give up very nickel they can find and stay in business. The amount of time consumers invest in this process is crazy! What's your time worth?
And yes 94rt10ohio, I'm exactly what I say I am.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:56 PM
spoon
Professional

Man, this caru buying system is so screwed up here!

A new car buying experience should be transparant to the buyer and the price paid should not depend on how well you negotiate. I just hate it that two people can end up paying a price that varies by literally thousands of dollars, all because one is better in negotiating than the other or has done more homework. The one that didnt do the homework will get screwed and that certainly isnt fair as I believe that all the facts should be put on the table for everyone to see.

Buying a used car is a different story of course.

Quick Reply: Should you Overpay to get the last RAM