4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Should you Overpay to get the last RAM

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 08:42 PM
utour
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should you Overpay to get the last RAM

Hey folks,
Thought to post another question as I value your advice, at least some of you.
The truck that I've ordered did not get produced on time, factory closed last Friday or so. We all know that it's gonna be 30-60 or who know when it will reopen, if reopen at all.
I got a good deal on my order, basically 14k off the sticker.
There is a nearby dealer that got 100% match to my order in stock. My dealer called him to get that truck and was told NO. Dealer wants to retail it not whole sale it.
I have only one option if I want it, go to that dealer and negotiate the deal.
I know (assume) I would not get as good of a deal with that dealer as I got on my order. Question! Should I overpay???
What would you do?

Old 05-03-2009, 08:51 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No. Just wait for your truck and get your deal in writing. I did the same as you. When all hell broke loose last week I went looking. Found 3 possible trucks, of which, in the end, only 1 was in play. Not exactly what I ordered, had a few extras and was missing the rear slider. Anyhow, I called that dealer and worked a deal, but I am not going to take it (it was only 8K off sticker, told them 10, they are going to call me back). Even if they do 10 I made up my mind yesterday I am not going to do it. The clincher was this truck was a early 09 build (been sitting there for a while), I want a late build.

If my truck did not make shipping (I will know Monday) I will wait for the lines to re-start. 1-4 more months means 1-4K more down payment. If they decide not to build it, then I will take my money elsewhere. A Z06 in place of the TA will do just fine.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:04 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

UNDERPAY, desperate dealers gotta dump inventory. They're just waiting for the axe to fall along with Chrysler consumer confidence. Don't count on ordered units to get built.

Last edited by bountyhunter; 05-03-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:52 PM
drober30
Veteran

If you do go to the other dealer my advice would be to tell them your interested in two models of vehicles one being the Ram (pick the other model it dose not matter). Then let them show you what they have but don't let them know you came in to the dealer looking for "that truck" or the dealer will have the advantage.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:52 PM
v8440
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What lots are depleted? Around here they're stacked up like lincoln logs. Seriously, as much as we like these trucks, they're like the turd that won't flush to many of the dealers. I've seen trucks at several lots that have been there for months.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:40 PM
utour
Rookie

Originally Posted by bountyhunter
UNDERPAY, desperate dealers gotta dump inventory. They're just waiting for the axe to fall along with Chrysler consumer confidence. Don't count on ordered units to get built.
BountyHunter please more details on your thoughts about "ordered units won't be build" Where did you read/hear this? Any links?

Also, thanks to all for advice/reply. We do not have too many of these trucks around. Especially with all of the stuff I want on it. If there is no RAM Box - I won't take it. if, there is no Navi - I won't take it. I'm very specific to what I want and that's why I'm saying, there is not much for me to chose from. I am also specific about the color. Yeah almost like a girl...
So, the one that is available from another dealer is 100% my truck. The only thing is, will they drop 14k on it too??? I don't know.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:43 PM
Nine-Oh-Slide

to be honest id wait and try to find a deal I found a dealer in the next town over that was swamped in trucks and ended up getting over 10k off the list price and they even put the 20's on it from the truck next to it because I said I would rather have the 20s then the 17s!.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:52 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by utour
BountyHunter please more details on your thoughts about "ordered units won't be build" Where did you read/hear this? Any links?

Also, thanks to all for advice/reply. We do not have too many of these trucks around. Especially with all of the stuff I want on it. If there is no RAM Box - I won't take it. if, there is no Navi - I won't take it. I'm very specific to what I want and that's why I'm saying, there is not much for me to chose from. I am also specific about the color. Yeah almost like a girl...
So, the one that is available from another dealer is 100% my truck. The only thing is, will they drop 14k on it too??? I don't know.
Nothing is set in stone about orders, well other than if you are not in shipping by now you are on hold. There was a rumor that no more 09s will roll off the lines, but if the fire back up in 30 days, of course 09s will be rolling off the lines. What was the last status you had on your truck? I assume it was in St. Louis since it had the Rambox.

Bottom line is until the Fiat deal is done and all 4 new owners get in a room (Chrysler, Fiat, UAW and the government) everything will be speculation. Although I do believe most, if not all of the plants slated to be closed will be closed.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:03 PM
utour
Rookie

My last status was paint (F), it turned to that status Friday morning last week. My truck was supposed to roll out of the factory on May 4th tomorrow. Well, I really don't think that's happening. The plant is closed. So either go and pay extra $$$ for the truck the other dealer's got on the lot, OR wait (for what?) or chose something else, like Ford...

Old 05-03-2009, 11:03 PM
Hdcowboy
Professional

I would think the ball would be in the buyers hands right now and there ought to be some hellacious deals out there. I really dont think most folks are going to buy a new truck right now knowing Chrysler is in bankruptcy. I have a feeling vehicles are going to be sitting in lots without much selling going on and dealers are soon going to get desperate with low sales. I would say stick to your guns and dont overpay whatever you do, right now the future of Chrysler is not 100% certain and the dealers know that, make it work for you!

Quick Reply: Should you Overpay to get the last RAM