4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wheel Shake 4th Gen Ram

Old 05-28-2009, 02:27 PM
John 09
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it's going to the dealer tomorrow for side step install and they are going to check out the wheel shake. Just to confirm my sanity I had someone else drive it today. It's really odd in that we headed one way on a highway and his remarks were the truck rode nicer than his Acura (car). We looped around heading back the other way and right at about 66-67 mph the shaking started. Good news is it's wheel shake, the truck isn't shaking.

All four tires have the wheel weights intact on the inside of the rim, so I don't think it's the weights.

Definitely just shook me up a bit because it's identical to the shake I had on the 06, which didn't seem to be balancing or the tires.

Last edited by John 09; 05-28-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:40 AM
WVU Fan
Professional

It could simply be a wheel balancing issue. If that's the case, try to find a place that does the road force balancing. It's the most accurate balancing you can have done and if that doesn't solve the issue, then it's definitely not a balance issue. The dealer would probably even agree to pay for you to have it road force balanced if they are a good dealer and they don't do that themselves. Just something to consider. Good luck with the truck!

By the way, I kind of chuckled when you mentioned your friend said it rode nicer than his Acura. I had a friend of mine drive my truck and he commented it rode as nice as his Audi.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:33 PM
jnakers

I bought my 09 ram about 5000 miles ago. I've had 2 specific wheel shake issues.

-At about 60 mph and faster the steering wheel would begin to shake/vibrate, which sounds very similar to what you are experiencing. The dealer told me that dodge released a bulletin stating the tires on the 09 vehicles have been prone to form flat spots caused from sitting in one spot for a period of time prior to the truck being sold. I thought this sounded like a load of crap but I must admit that a few thousand miles later the problem appears to have lessened.

-My second problem I am very concerned about. I've had problems from day 1 with the wheel shaking violently after hitting a bump in the road. At slower speeds it is not very noticable but at about 70 mph and faster it gets considerably worse. On a bumpy stretch of highway road it can be very distracting and feels unsafe. I'd be very interested to here if anyone else has experienced this specific problem.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:02 PM
72combo
Champion

Mine sat since October in fact I called the dealer asked him how long he had the truck he said he had it for 4 months, I asked why he had not sold it, he said he didnt sell any till the sales started then he was getting them from other dealers that were overstocked.By the way rides like a Cadillac or better and my over 6 foot son has more room in the back then he ever has. Funny we recommend this dealer to a friend who makes a dealer now this guy is an hour ride from use and our friend, so he doesnt have what he wants but gets with other dealers and finds one . The one he found was actually 40 miles the opposite way we live. So the truck takes a 100 mile drive to get delivered. What a laugh. He at first was getting static from the other dealership but then he called who ever is head of sales and says he has a buyer and this guy wont sell so they force him. Most dealers do not own the stock if they do then they can do that but if another dealership pushes the issue they can get the truck, We got a charger with what we wanted 400 miles away. You think the guy who drove it stayed under 50mph for the first few hundred miles? Ya right he tested everything in the vehicle including ashtray which pissed me off. I did not want one and the salesperson argued its in all and not charge. funny window sticker was unavailable till i pulled it up on my phone from their website LOL 75 bucks smokers package....off the price plus all kinds of freebies and the complete desmelling of smoke...leather seats man. Almost didn't take care but needed it and they were just giving us money off to take it since they didn't even want it...I really played the smoked in card. Got a 2 year lease no money down and can't even say the price I paid cuz the new dealer took it and leased it for almost twice as much and the person still thought they got a deal.

Last edited by 72combo; 05-29-2009 at 07:03 PM. Reason: forgot the tire issue
Old 05-29-2009, 08:45 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

No wheel shake issues here, but I did ditch the stock tires pretty fast.

Also, a bunch of my coworkers love my truck and they always make me drive at lunch. It's more spacious in the back than any car or SUV in our lot.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:14 PM
John 09

I'll keep you posted. My dealer is sending the truck out to be road force tested. They did let me know that the tech had it on the highway and said it was really shaking at 75mph. I've noticed mostly at speeds a little less than that more like 60-65mph. Otherwise rides like a dream.

I did check out the tires and I will say they are the sloppiest I've ever seen. I wonder if Goodyear outsourced it's manufacturing....there was some stuff from the mold that really needed a trim.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:55 AM
hottdogg
Default wheel shake

Originally Posted by jnakers
I bought my 09 ram about 5000 miles ago. I've had 2 specific wheel shake issues.

-At about 60 mph and faster the steering wheel would begin to shake/vibrate, which sounds very similar to what you are experiencing. The dealer told me that dodge released a bulletin stating the tires on the 09 vehicles have been prone to form flat spots caused from sitting in one spot for a period of time prior to the truck being sold. I thought this sounded like a load of crap but I must admit that a few thousand miles later the problem appears to have lessened.

-My second problem I am very concerned about. I've had problems from day 1 with the wheel shaking violently after hitting a bump in the road. At slower speeds it is not very noticable but at about 70 mph and faster it gets considerably worse. On a bumpy stretch of highway road it can be very distracting and feels unsafe. I'd be very interested to here if anyone else has experienced this specific problem.
I also experience the violent shaking after hitting a bump at speeds 55 and faster. It feels very unsafe especially after driving on the same stretch of road for years and never experiencing anything remotely like this. It really caught me off guard the first time when I only had one hand on the wheel. Im not sure if its a tire issue or in the steering linkage or independent suspension. I also notice if you go over a hump at slower speeds the steering wheel seems like it binds up.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:04 PM
Secret Agent Man
Captain

Is this like the 'death wobble' phenomenon experienced in the old Jeep Cherokees?

Old 06-03-2009, 04:58 PM
c0mf0rt
Captain

So any update??? Mine's got a shimmy on the ride home everyday and it worsens with different speeds. Wheels were just put on so I'm guessing the balancing is not to blame.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:20 PM
DEGOINS
Rookie

It could be an unbalanced driveshaft. Had that on a 2001 dakota quad cab and it took them two months to find it. I ended up getting my truck bought back under lemon law because of it and several other problems that were never resolved. Good luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel Shake 4th Gen Ram