4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wheel Shake 4th Gen Ram

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 12:58 AM
Brandloyal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed a bit of shimmy in mine the day I got it, but figured it was just the two lane road that has a lot of truck traffic use. Today I got on a newly paved straight road and felt a vibration through the seat at 40-45 mph. then again at 60+. The steering wheel has no obvious shimmy, and when braking it is very smooth. All the wheel weights seem to be in place, and tire pressures are even. I have to get a piece of trim replaced this weekend, and will have the dealer check it out. I will update after the weekend what the service dept. finds if it fixes the shake.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:13 PM
JLUI
Default My "Bad" Experience - 2009 Wheel shake

Hey guys - I'm a first time poster and I thought I would share my experience.

I apologize for the long note but I have a story to tell.

Where am I from - Edson, Alberta, Canada
Previous Vehicle - 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (quad cab 4.7L) - everything was stock (17"wheels - went though 3-sets of tires - Last set was Goodyear Silent Amors). 135,000 km (83,125 miles) ------> VEHICLE RIDE WAS PERFECT NO WHEEL SHAKE. 99% of my miles were highway so my travel speeds 110-120 KMPH (68-75 mph). Same highway for the last 5-years.

New Vehicle - 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Crew Cab 5.7L) with 20" Aluminum wheels. purchased end of Feb 2009. Steering Wheel shake problems since Day 1. I thought I was the only one or that I was too picky (I feel better knowing i'm not alone!!)

All my problems occur at highway speeds (60-75 mph). My steering wheel shakes and the truck feels like it's vibrating.

Here's the story
Visit # 1: U-joints and front end inspected. Dealer found no issues. Gave me the truck back. Problem not solved.

Visit # 2: Wheel balance. Took one of the mechanics for a ride and he's certain the problem is just a wheel balance. Problem not solved

Visit # 3: 6100 km on vehicle. Oil change and TIRE rotation. Problem not solved. See the trend starting to develop.

Visit # 4: Dealer sends truck to a 3rd Party shop (Kaltire) for another balance. Sticky weights are changed. moved ect. Problem not Solved.

Visit # 5: Dealer find's bulletin about tire flat spots and i get a brand new set of tires @ 7900 km. New tires are mounted and balanced. Problem not solved.

Visit # 6: At this point I'm fed up so I bypass the dealer and take it back to Kaltire. They put the truck up on the hoist and spin the tires in the air. 2 of the 4 tires are vibrating side to side, indication of some bent rims? Maybe. Not bad but still not straight. Move 2 "BAD" tires to the back. Problem not solved

Visit #7: Take it back to Kaltire. Their mechanic takes it for a drive. informes me that the alignmen is all wrong. "Toe" is off and that the truck is drifting off the highway. Steering wheel is off center as well. So I leave it there for alignment. They try to perform an alignment but CAN'T!! They don't have the 2009 specifications!! They call 3-dealers from neighbouring towns to find the specifications with no success.

Visit #8: I drive into Edmonton (The nearest city - 2 hours away). Speake to another dealership and obtain the specifications for the 2009.

Visit #9 (June 3, 2009): Take it back to Kaltire for alignment with 2009 Specs. Alignment done. Problem still not solved.

Visit # 10: Next week I'm going down to Calgary for work and I'll try it one more time at a different dealership. At this point I'm totally fed up!!

I love everything else about the truck but this Wheel Shake Issue is starting to make me regret my decision.

Sorry for the long note again but if anyone has found a solution or can offer up some advice I'll take anything at this point.

Jason.

ps. A coworker has the same truck (Laramie 20" rims with chrome cover) and had some of his weights fall off - resulting in a very bad vibration/wheel shake. He got his tires rebalance at KALTIRE yesterday as well. He's on a road trip today but it sounds like he might have the same issues.

pps. I just remembered - I test drove the same truck way back in September 2008 when they first came out. I noticed a small wheel shake on my brief test drive. I didn't think much of it at the time. I guess I should have paid more attention.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:23 PM
JLUI

Same issue.

Originally Posted by hottdogg
I also experience the violent shaking after hitting a bump at speeds 55 and faster. It feels very unsafe especially after driving on the same stretch of road for years and never experiencing anything remotely like this. It really caught me off guard the first time when I only had one hand on the wheel. Im not sure if its a tire issue or in the steering linkage or independent suspension. I also notice if you go over a hump at slower speeds the steering wheel seems like it binds up.

Last edited by JLUI; 06-04-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:25 PM
JLUI

Second Problem -- Mine does the same.

Originally Posted by jnakers
I bought my 09 ram about 5000 miles ago. I've had 2 specific wheel shake issues.

-At about 60 mph and faster the steering wheel would begin to shake/vibrate, which sounds very similar to what you are experiencing. The dealer told me that dodge released a bulletin stating the tires on the 09 vehicles have been prone to form flat spots caused from sitting in one spot for a period of time prior to the truck being sold. I thought this sounded like a load of crap but I must admit that a few thousand miles later the problem appears to have lessened.

-My second problem I am very concerned about. I've had problems from day 1 with the wheel shaking violently after hitting a bump in the road. At slower speeds it is not very noticable but at about 70 mph and faster it gets considerably worse. On a bumpy stretch of highway road it can be very distracting and feels unsafe. I'd be very interested to here if anyone else has experienced this specific problem.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:31 PM
JLUI
Default Mud in the rims

One more thing:

Everytime that I've been at the dealership they ask if there is any "MUD" in the rims. I do drive on some gravel roads for work but I would say 95% on my miles are on a dual lane highway.

I'm **** when it comes to how clean my vehicles are and since this ordeal started I've tripled my efforts to ensure that the tires are "MUD FREE". So for guys out there with the same problem don't let the dealer play the "MUD" card.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:48 PM
06hornstar
Red face

I had the vibration described on my 06 and according to Dodge factory rep "..aware of problem, but no fix yet" . Traded in my 06 in April on an 09 Sport Crew 4x4 with 20's. So far with 3k miles no vibes yet. Build date on vehicle is 3/9. :knocking on wood:

Old 06-04-2009, 09:18 PM
DEGOINS
Rookie

sounds just like the bad driveshaft I had on my dakota. They didn't find it until they had to buy it back.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

So is this a continuous shaking? Or is it for a few minutes and then it goes away?

This has just developed for me in the last few weeks (currently at 6,600 miles). I get really bad vibrations at 75 when cruising to/from work on a brand new super smooth highway (so I know it's not the road) and it happens at different points in the road (not always the same place), but it only lasts for a few minutes and then magically goes away. It's bad enough to where the steering wheel shakes a good inch in each direction and the passenger seat is vibrating at least 2" in each direction.

I don't know if I want to take it in to get it looked at since I can't always replicate it. It happens for about 3 - 4 minutes of a 30 minute commute. Any ideas?

Old 06-05-2009, 09:55 AM
depunz
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Comes and Goes

Mine comes and goes. Sometimes it's smooth and sometimes it shakes alot. I would think if it was tires it would be consistent. I'm leary of mentioning it to my dealer since I'm sure I'
d get the aftermarket wheel BS but I've had the rims for 3600 miles and it didn't start 'til after I had it in for it's first oil change at the dealer. That was at 2998 miles on the ODO. Hope we find something out, cause it's rather annoying. I wouldn't say I feel unsafe as it's not that bad but I just don't like it. About 70 it's not bad at all, but it gets worse as speed increases.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:56 AM
wmichell227
Veteran

On my 03 and on my 08 the drive shafts had balancing weights on them. Is it possible that the weights could have come off your DS? My 09 has 8500 miles on it and no vibration at all.

Quick Reply: Wheel Shake 4th Gen Ram