4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Last word on vvt vct and fuel saver

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009 | 10:11 AM
joe68

Thanks. After reading this over once more I think you're right. My sticker says its a VCT, but it probably doesn't matter.

Old 09-02-2009 | 10:55 PM
72combo
Champion

I got mine done today and still have no fuel saver light nor a place to turn one on. Who knows if they even flashed it correct they couldnt get my uconnect working after 7 hours

Old 09-05-2009 | 05:43 PM
mike2810
Captain

Had the flash done yesterday. No such luck. The hemi does seem to run better after the update. I asked the service manager what it would take to get the fuel saver light. He said it is not just a software update to get it. Something about the early production Rams don't have the same wiring as the later production models. Not sure I buy that answer.

Old 09-06-2009 | 05:47 AM
sneeks
Professional

I'm personally glad i don't have the light. There's already enough weird stuff to deal with on the road.

Old 09-06-2009 | 08:46 AM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by sneeks
I'm personally glad i don't have the light. There's already enough weird stuff to deal with on the road.
Me too but it is not really a light its just the same colour as any of the other text in EVIC while you are driving. Not like it comes up yellow or red and flashes but I think things coming up while you are driving tend to make you look so ya I glad I don't have it and it didn't flash as others said it does.

Old 09-07-2009 | 12:36 PM
hemimike
Rookie

you are right it isn't a light it is words just like the messages you get and it doesn't distract you at all you don't even notice it unless you look for it.

Old 09-14-2009 | 12:17 PM
CampTbone

Originally Posted by 72combo
Me too but it is not really a light its just the same colour as any of the other text in EVIC while you are driving. Not like it comes up yellow or red and flashes but I think things coming up while you are driving tend to make you look so ya I glad I don't have it and it didn't flash as others said it does.
I disagree... I tend to want to know what my engine is doing when suddenly my RPMs boost up a little. Is it because the truck just shifted down a gear or is it because "fuel saver" just kicked in? I don't find the fuel guage or temp guage or any other guages too distracting.

Old 09-15-2009 | 12:43 PM
mike2810
Captain

After having the flash done and talking to two different dealers, I have come to the conclusion that those of us with early build dates without the fuel saver light will not be getting help for it from Dodge. Not sure why it worked on a the OP truck, but the rest of us are SOL. Sending emails to Dodge gets a basic reply to contact your dealer. The dealer says there is nothing they can do. It just does not make any sense to me since the parts seem to be same in the 09.

Old 09-16-2009 | 01:08 AM
Spring Hemi

So after reading everyone of the posts I am still confused (imagine that!)

Is the "fuel saver" indicator that comes on in the bottom right hand corner what all the fuss about?

Old 09-16-2009 | 03:42 AM
stvsherrod
Professional

i have an 09 Sport 4X4. bought it around June 1st. i can't get the build date from it right now but i never seen a fuel saver light on it.... i don't even know if the truck goes into fuel saver mode! never felt any differance going between 8cyl and 4cyl (which is the way it's supposed to be).. and the mpg sure didn't look like it was going into saver mode.. i don't really care if there is a light that comes on or not. it's not going to change the way i drive it.
i just jump in and drive! it took me a while to figure out why sometimes there would be a "5" where the "D" is supposed to be! i was just playing with the shifter out of bordem. I had no idea you could shift it manualy.. i didn't buy the truck cause it's a dodge or has a hemi. never even considered dodge until the day i bought it. i went to the dealership to buy the all terrain gmc.. the lifetime warranty made me choose the dodge (and the only all terrain they had was black). first dodge i have ever owned.. so far i like it and hope i don't regret it.

Quick Reply: Last word on vvt vct and fuel saver