4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Last word on vvt vct and fuel saver

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 02:02 AM
usp45compact
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CampTbone
I disagree... I tend to want to know what my engine is doing when suddenly my RPMs boost up a little. Is it because the truck just shifted down a gear or is it because "fuel saver" just kicked in? I don't find the fuel guage or temp guage or any other guages too distracting.

For what it's worth, I've absolutely never been able to hear or feel the fuel saver mode kick in, so anything that that you're noticing is most likely just shifting.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:08 AM
mike2810
Captain

Has anyone other than CJDT had success in adding the fuel saver light to Ram hemi that did not have one from the factory? Seems like this is a lost cause. I have talked to two different dealerships so far and have gotten two different answers on what it will take to get the light. One said, can't be done. The other said it would be very expensive, new cluster, wiring harness and software update. In the end they recommended looking for an aftermarket gauge. The feeling I got is they were not interested in really looking into the issue. I have written to Dodge twice (one email, one snail mail) and basically got the same answer. Go talk to the dealership.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:08 AM
marchboom

I have a Ram with a build date of Oct 2008 and no fuel saver light displayed. If the light does not come on, is the MDS system working?

Other than the light (which I don't have), is there any way of telling when the MDS is ON?

Is there an aftermarket light or display made to indicate that the MDS is working?

Old 10-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Milez5858

I can't say that I actually "Feel" the MDS kick in or off, but I can tell ... there is no surge forward or back when it's on or off, but rather a slight feeling of lack of power when you make minute adjustments to the gas pedal.

I can also make the MDS come on by accellerating to 2 mph over the speed I want to cruise at and then very slightly relaxing off the gas pedal. 90% of the time it will kick on unless I'm on a hill or into the wind.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:13 AM
CampTbone
Default Yes and No

Originally Posted by marchboom
I have a Ram with a build date of Oct 2008 and no fuel saver light displayed. If the light does not come on, is the MDS system working?

Other than the light (which I don't have), is there any way of telling when the MDS is ON?

Is there an aftermarket light or display made to indicate that the MDS is working?
Marchboom,
I of course feel your pain, I have the exact same time produced truck. I search for an aftermarket light but never could find one, however, I did find some interesting ways of building your own. Here is a good one posted in this forum
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen...ht-how-to.html

I am going to eventually do this when I have time.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:32 AM
Dodge12345

There is a huge difference in exhaust sound when the MDS kicks in. I have the dual exhaust and I can tell when my Hemi changes from 8 to 4 cylinders. It makes the truck sound whimpy! The vibration level increases in the cab. My build date is 7/09 and I have the light of course. I have had the MDS kick in at 70+ mph on flat non windy days, I have actually seen the tach incease by 50-100 rpm when the MDS kicks in on the highway.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:34 AM
dz302469
Rookie

I'll be putting my scangauge in when I return home from my trip. That will positively show me when the MDS system kicks in.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:06 PM
topgun
Captain

You definitely can feel and hear it going in and out of MDS mode. Even more so with a Mufflex Magnaflow. Maybe the regular muffler is harder to tell but on my Sport, there is no question whatsoever what the engine is doing.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:33 AM
B.Kaiser1
Rookie

Originally Posted by topgun
You definitely can feel and hear it going in and out of MDS mode. Even more so with a Mufflex Magnaflow. Maybe the regular muffler is harder to tell but on my Sport, there is no question whatsoever what the engine is doing.
I don't think you can feel it switch in and out of the MDS mode with a tall final gear in it (3.55's) and I sure can't hear it with stock exhaust..

I didn't think mine was working (no light, Sept 08 build) I brought to the dealer they put the Star scan on it and said it was working and that it only came on when I was off the gas pedal.

09 4X4 Laramie 3.55's 20" wheels

Old 11-22-2009, 11:22 AM
topgun
Captain

Not true. It will come on with your foot on the gas. Not accelerating but when cruising under light throttle. I have also seen and heard it shut off when you let off the gas. Doesn't make sence as you wouldn't need the power of 8 cyls but it certainly does that.

There is a definite vibration difference when it kicks in not related to sound. Funny people feel their gas pedal that is connected to nothing engine related is vibrating but then they can't feel the shudder when the MDS kicks in and out which reverberates throughout the whole truck.

Quick Reply: Last word on vvt vct and fuel saver