4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Red or white wine with crow

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 07:21 PM
MOPWR2U
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I understand it, Chrysler had their back to the wall and either had to "sell" to Fiat, or go thru a complete liquidation bankruptcy. So if Chrysler "sold" for zero dollars, why does that keep them out of bankruptcy? Seems to me they could have come up with the same zero dollars if no one bought them out? Anyone care to explain that one to me?

MOPWR2U

Old 06-14-2009, 12:10 AM
qicvick
Professional
Cool

Originally Posted by MOPWR2U
As I understand it, Chrysler had their back to the wall and either had to "sell" to Fiat, or go thru a complete liquidation bankruptcy. So if Chrysler "sold" for zero dollars, why does that keep them out of bankruptcy? Seems to me they could have come up with the same zero dollars if no one bought them out? Anyone care to explain that one to me?

MOPWR2U
they were promised more tarp money by Oboma if they let a foreign car company take over because Fiat's little standard shift no air conditioned cars they sold to Russia and N. Korea got good gas mileage which will allow them to start building cars that we want,( I thought I wanted a full size Hemi Dodge Ram but what do I know?) part of the redistribution
of wealth we voted for, I say Oboma because congress has not cast 1 vote either for or against about going into the car business

Old 06-14-2009, 02:36 PM
jram99
Veteran

I guess for me the honeymoon is over. I hate unions, I would never buy a fiat anything, and I can't stand govt intervention in the free market. Looks like I've bought my last chrysler/dodge vehicle. I would cry if it would change anything! Jeff.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:08 PM
zuiquan1
Professional

Originally Posted by jram99
I guess for me the honeymoon is over. I hate unions, I would never buy a fiat anything, and I can't stand govt intervention in the free market. Looks like I've bought my last chrysler/dodge vehicle. I would cry if it would change anything! Jeff.
Just replace your new 10' Fiat Ram with Dodge emblems!

Old 06-14-2009, 06:17 PM
seigell
Veteran

Obama orchestrated (forced) the Bankruptcy and Sale of the world's #6 Car Maker to the world's #7 Car Maker for a number of reasons - most of which will likely NEVER make sense for those of us who supported Dodge to the end (recent Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep purchasers) OR those of us who will be paying the tab for the next many years (US taxpayers).

Did he (and his policy team) do this because:
  • The European Car Maker who hadn't sold a "normal" car on American Shores in 20 years somehow has cars that the average American wants ?? And these cars would somehow fill holes in the catalog of Dodge Trucks and Jeep products that have held Chrysler's head above water since the Minivan Days ??
  • The American Car Makers needed another lesson in Quality from a European Car Company, this time by the maker rated worse than Chrysler ??
  • Obama wanted to improve (save) the situation of the Union, although the Bankruptcy ended up treating UAW quite roughly (and left them "holding the bag" with 58% ownership. Maybe the UAW will figure out how to help build up instead of kill a Car Company, this time.
  • The policy makers decided that the best way to reduce US conflict with the Middle East is to reduce our Fuel Consumption. And they somehow figure that because micro-cars work OK in the crowded cities and smaller geographic area of Europe, that it will work just as well in the larger USA. (Or may be part of a long-term plan to rebuild the Airline Industry because fewer folks will be able to drive long inter-city distances in glorified go-karts.)
  • The policy makers decided that the best way to reduce US conflict with Europe is to make progress on the European-favored Kyoto Protocols by vilifying SUVs and full-size Trucks of GM and Chrysler, and sell one of them to Europe and parts of the other to China. And in return, push for a transition to smaller vehicles (after all, what else does Fiat or the Chinese auto industries produce??)
Combine the facts and frustrations and rumors and general confusion that is flowing freely out there, any or all of these could be true.

Myself, I think that we could have done better if we'd forced AIG through Bankruptcy, and allowed some of the over-leveraged Banks get folded into the better ones. The basic public wouldn't have been hurt directly, because our deposits would have been guaranteed by the Feds. But the fat cats would have been killed by their bad investments - and We Can't Have That... The money handed to AIG could have funded massive investments in all sorts of US industries, including the auto industry and the renewable energy industry. We could have been looking forward to everything short of flying cars and zero-emissions trucks within 10 years.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:22 PM
seigell
Veteran

(wow, see what happens when TNT wraps a NASCAR Caution with long sets of boring commercials... sorry everyone... )

Old 06-15-2009, 08:13 AM
Brummo
Captain
Talking

Originally Posted by qicvick
I guess I will be eating a lot of crow for a while, reading some of my past post you will see that I am 100% buy America when I can, I have argued that even if your Honda or Toyoto was build here in the states and the local community benifited, the big money went to foreign countrys therefore hurting the US, I still believe that as I drive my new 2009 fiat laramie crewcab, now do I change my tune or eat crow for the next 3 years? does it taste better cold or hot,fried or baked!
You didn't say what wine you used. Did the crow taste like chicken??lol

Old 06-15-2009, 01:28 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by qicvick
I guess I will be eating a lot of crow for a while, reading some of my past post you will see that I am 100% buy America when I can, I have argued that even if your Honda or Toyoto was build here in the states and the local community benifited, the big money went to foreign countrys therefore hurting the US, I still believe that as I drive my new 2009 fiat laramie crewcab, now do I change my tune or eat crow for the next 3 years? does it taste better cold or hot,fried or baked!
I find that a large amount of Tennessee whiskey goes best with crow.

You are obviously pissed off about the predicament in which we all find ourselves, and I am right there with you. I despise the current administration and all that they stand for. It is purely un-American. Dr. Bill says that "We have some incredibly idiotic fools in Washington".
It took the same in kind to put them there. I gather you are from Texas, so most of your local politicians probably feel the same way you do. Perhaps you could write a letter to that elitist MF that lives in the White House instead of complaining about it here. I mean no offense by that at all. I complain about it all the time.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:03 PM
td_20
Default Why hate unions

Originally Posted by jram99
Why hate unions? Unions have raised quality of the work place for all.
The unions didn't do this to dodge, ford, and GM. (but things did need to change now)
The big three put more effort into fighting the government over setting minimal MPG standards then updating their 40 year old engine technology.
Cheap oil is dieing like the dinosaurs did, and if the big 3 don’t change, they will die to. A truck that get 13 mpg probably be worthless if oil go to 200 plus a barrel in 2 years time.

Have a good day.

Last edited by td_20; 06-15-2009 at 02:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-15-2009, 02:18 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by td_20
Why hate unions? Unions have raised quality of the work place for all.
The unions didn't do this to dodge, ford, and GM. (but things did need to change now)
The big three put more effort into fighting the government over setting minimal MPG standards then updating their 40 year old engine technology.
Cheap oil is dieing like the dinosaurs did, and if the big 3 don’t change, they will die to. A truck that get 13 mpg probably be worthless if oil go to 200 plus a barrel in 2 years time.

Have a good day.
40 year old technology? The internal combustion engine has been around since the 19th century. Today's engines are still a crankshaft, pistons, valves, etc. They have changed a lot, but Fiat and all of the others are still updating the same old design that revolves around 4 strokes/cycles. It is not just Chrysler. Chrysler chose to use the name Hemi, yet if you look at the heads of a new Hemi, they are a far cry from hemispherical.

The internal combustion engine is always going to be inefficient.

Quick Reply: Red or white wine with crow