4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can you get a trailer hitch with a R/T?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 10:27 PM
nchockeyfan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you get a trailer hitch with a R/T?

Anyone know if there is a reason not to put a trailer hitch on the new R/T?

I have been drooling over the new R/T, even though I already have an 09 SLT RCSB. I do tow occasionally, and I have not been able to locate a R/T with a trailer hitch on a dealer lot.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:05 PM
jhedger
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It shouldn't be a big deal to have the dealer add a class III reciever.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:12 PM
jdustu
Veteran

Mine came with the tow package.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:35 PM
nchockeyfan

Thanks for the responses.

jdutsu, that is reassuring that yours came with the tow package.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:05 AM
jdustu
Veteran

Originally Posted by nchockeyfan
Thanks for the responses.

jdutsu, that is reassuring that yours came with the tow package.

No problem! Are you seeing R/Ts out there then? I've been trying to get some production numbers, and a guy at St. Louis said it looks like right around 400 total got made for '09. I still haven't seen any in the Detroit area.

The other R/T where I bought mine from also had the tow package, it sold within the last couple weeks though.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:38 AM
nchockeyfan

No, I haven't seen any around where I live yet. Heck, I live in a pretty rural area and have only seen 2 other 09 Rams on the roads near me.

I have found only 3 R/Ts within a 200 mile radius of where I live. 2 Black and 1 Blue. The Blue one is about 100 miles from me and is the closest.

I might go drive it if they would be willing to deal on it.

Just went to the Dodge website and their body building feature to find out the tow rating on a R/T...5050 lbs. That is surprising to me, considering it has the 4.10 gears. Gonna have to do some thinking now, I would like to have more tow capacity than that.

Last edited by nchockeyfan; 07-20-2009 at 03:35 AM. Reason: found the tow rating
Old 07-20-2009, 09:18 AM
jdustu
Veteran

Originally Posted by nchockeyfan

Just went to the Dodge website and their body building feature to find out the tow rating on a R/T...5050 lbs. That is surprising to me, considering it has the 4.10 gears. Gonna have to do some thinking now, I would like to have more tow capacity than that.
Where did you find that? They took R/Ts off the build feature back in the spring...I just went on and still can't build one on dodge.com? When I bought mine there wasn't anything that said it's tow capacity was any different than the regular rc trucks. I don't really tow, so I wasn't really looking at it, but I'd be interested to see if it actually is different.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:12 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It wouldn't suprise me. If the R/T has a sloppier convertor, that would decrease the tow rating quite a bit. The slop in the convertor is going to cause heat.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:20 AM
jdustu
Veteran

Originally Posted by oldjeep
It wouldn't suprise me. If the R/T has a sloppier convertor, that would decrease the tow rating quite a bit. The slop in the convertor is going to cause heat.

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me either if it was less than the regular truck's 9100 or whatever it is. 5,100 is pretty weak though, it's not that big of a stall and even in stop and go driving in the heat it doesn't really get that warm. I'd like to see where the info is, I can't find anything on it.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:26 PM
nchockeyfan

Alright, I can't figure out how to copy a pic of it to here but I can guide you to the webpage on dodge dot com.

http://www.dodge.com/en/2009/ram_150...owing_payload/

scroll down and look on the left side of the webpage and you will see a hyperlink to the Dodge Bodybuilders Guide. Follow the link and click on the 1500 4X2 120.5" wheelbase. Look for the last combo with the 4.10 gears.

jdutsu, I too cannot figure out how to build a R/T on their website...maybe they don't allow us stupid consumers to actually try to get exactly what we want.

Last edited by nchockeyfan; 07-20-2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: corrected the hyperlink

Quick Reply: Can you get a trailer hitch with a R/T?