4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

An animal (freaking cat) done ruined my hood !

Old 07-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Arrogant Assclown
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An animal (freaking cat) done ruined my hood !

Something got up on the hood and got sick. The fluid ran down the passenger (right) middle of the hood and a little off the passenger (right) right but did not get on the fender.

After washing and two waxings over the affected areas, the fluid trail is still obvious with intermediate damage (cracked or oxidized pattern) to the clear cloat in places.

Just wondering if it can be buffed out? Can a lite abrasive sanding be done on the hood and another coat of clear coat added? Or do I just need to punt and have the whole hood stripped and repainted?

Never had anything happen like this before and do not have a clue about possible remedies. Any advice from the board would help.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Arrogant Assclown; 07-29-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:43 PM
RamPhreak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Arrogant Assclown
Something got up on the hood and got sick. The fluid ran down the passenger (right) middle of the hood and a little off the passenger (right) right but did not get on the fender.

After washing and two waxings over the affected areas, the fluid trail is still obvious with intermediate damage (cracked or oxidized pattern) to the clear cloat in places.

Just wondering if it can be buffed out? Can a little abrasive sanding be done on the hood and another coat of clear coat added? Or do I just need to punt and have the whole hood stripped and repainted?

Never had anything happen like this before and do not have a clue about possible remidies. Any advice from the board would help.

Thanks in advance.
Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear it. Sounds like some really high strength stomach acid prevailed and sat way too long. I would advise you to take it to the local body shop for PRO advise. Maybe they can give you a remedy and if it doesnt work then plan B?

Old 07-28-2009, 10:01 PM
MMMMRice
Veteran

Where are you located? I may be able to help you out. Post some pics so we can see what it looks like.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sucks man, sorry to hear it. Just curious, if you take it back to the dealership will the warranty cover it?

Old 07-29-2009, 06:09 AM
sbolinger2

My poor truck has been through alot of paint abuse it's first two months: Cat claw scratches on the hood, 3 bad door dings, and acid damage from fireworks(literally 100's of tiny holes mainly on the hood and roof). Since my truck is black I purchased the http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,4,28 Black box made by turtle wax and have been happy with the results.

It does take time to do the steps, especially with a vehicle as big as a truck. It's worth it in my opinion since warranty only covers defects, not environmental effects(cat ****). Also, the body shop cost probably won't go much over the insurance deductible, so you get hardly any benefit from an insurance claim and a higher future premium.

After my experiences so far, if there's anything but dirt on my truck (bird poop, etc.) I wash it off first chance I get because 'fixing' it takes too much work and time.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:22 PM
DodgeRam09
Professional

Try using a clay bar and use some elbow grease on it first before you do anything else. You'd be surprised. Light sanding should be your last result.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Arrogant Assclown

Thanks for the info guys!

Going to whip by an body shop this afternoon to get an "experts" opinion on the amount of damage. Luckily I live in South Austin so there is a body shop every other block on Congress and First streets. So maybe I can get two or three assessments in a short period of time.

I think I will try the Meguire's route first and see if I can do anything myself. If not, then off to a detail shop or body shop to find someone proficient in deep cleaning or wet sanding. I have to get it out or have it redone because if I know the spot is there I will never be at peace.

Been driving over 30 years and never had anything damage the finish but just sun and age. My truck just turned two months old and I may have to take it to a body shop.

On the "if life gives you lemons, make lemonaide side" if I do have to repaint, anyone have any good hood modificaton ideas?

Last edited by Arrogant Assclown; 07-29-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:25 PM
bigred3297
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Arrogant Assclown
Thanks for the info guys!

Going to whip by an body shop this afternoon to get an "experts" opinion on the amount of damage. Luckily I live in South Austin so there is a body shop every other block on Congress and First streets. So maybe I can get two or three assessments in a short period of time.

I think I will try the Meguire's route first and see if I can do anything myself. If not, then off to a detail shop or body shop to find someone proficient in deep cleaning or wet sanding. I have to get it out or have it redone because if I know the spot is there I will never be at peace.

Been driving over 30 years and never had anything damage the finish but just sun and age. My truck just turned two months old and I may have to take it to a body shop.

On the "if life gives you lemons, make lemonaide side" if I do have to repaint, anyone have any good hood modificaton ideas?

Zaino has some really good products that would be able to help you out, hands down i think they're the best. They have a black vehicle kit which is what you're looking for. On the other hand, Texas body shops are cheap so see what they can do

Old 07-29-2009, 03:54 PM
MMMMRice
Veteran

Originally Posted by bigred3297
Zaino has some really good products that would be able to help you out, hands down i think they're the best. They have a black vehicle kit which is what you're looking for. On the other hand, Texas body shops are cheap so see what they can do
Zaino or adams. Luckily adams has a forum. If you go there pm junkman2008 and tell him what youve got and he'll be able to walk you through anything.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Arrogant Assclown

Again. Thanks for the guidance guys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: An animal (freaking cat) done ruined my hood !