4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Update on Diablo Tune

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:26 AM
FL09RamSport
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HEMI_ROM
Maybe I'm slow but it’s hard for me to get a handle on the status of this thing. For the 09 Ram :

Does it or doesn't it turn off TM and/or ESP - if so to what degree?

What are the HP/TQ gains on 93?

If I have just missed this somewhere, my apologies. This is certainly not a reflection on you FL09RamSport, I appreciate your reports and am convinced you are reporting as precisely as possible considering the info from Diablo appears as a moving target. It looks to me like Diablo might favor rushing this thing to market over being thorough. I too am like a kid in the candy store and anxiously await any info as soon as available, keep us posted sir.

You are not slow (at least I don't think so). When I signed up to be the test truck I was hoping for more insight on what this tool can do for my truck since I am not very mechanical or really understand the inter workings of the engine. I have not walked away with much more than when I started.

The only dyno I have seen was for the 87 octane. They did not use my truck for the 93 octane tune. The gains where substantial on 87 but compared to Doc Fluty's dyno they were not impressive. DS claims that there is a huge difference between the dynos which were used. I don't know.

I was told we would have control or the option to turn of ESP, we do not. Johan made some changes on my tune but he said there is a lot more reseach which needs to be done.

We do not have much of the control the 09 LX models have. In my opinion this is due to the fact that DS has an employee with a LX model always available.

They have their plate full with the 09 ram, the charger the new new 2010 coming out. I know that there have been multiple complaints from other gen rams that they have been left on the back burner with no tunes, I hope this does not happen to us and we see many more updates.

I have the advantage that every time I upgrade or change something on my truck they want to tune it again and see the difference if any. This is great for all of us but I think what they have is entry level just to get to market.

It works, I am happy with the 87 tune I have but feel there is quite a bit more power to be released. This may come from the independent tuners out there which may uncover the true potential and not directly from DS as time passes and others test out different tuning parameters.

As soon as I feel more comfortable with changing some of the settings I will begin doing so, but for now I am waiting for my next tank of gas and try the 93 octane tune.

Then take it to the track.

Last edited by FL09RamSport; 10-01-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:41 AM
mopowar
Record Breaker

That's the whole point. We now (or very soon anyway) have a way to tune our trucks. I know from experience that the torque management that Chrysler/Dodge puts on their vehicles is severe and deeply embedded in multiple ways. If they manage to get rid of that and give us control of fuel, timing and transmission shifts/line pressure then, as far as I'm concerned, they have done thier job. I am a loyal Mopar guy. That being said, they sure do make it hard being such when they are so tight assed with their PCM code.
chebies always get this stuff first because the programming is so easy to decipher. Diablo, for example, has already released stuff for the 2010 chebies. In the past, I have known people who have switched to other manufacturers simply because they are more aftermarket friendly.

Edit:
This is why some of the 3rd gens got left hanging in the breeze. It's not because no one tried. Diablo and Superchips have been working on it for years. The blame lies with Chrysler hosing the code to the point to which it was or near impossible to get to. If they would beef their trannies up a bit, they wouldn't have to play that game.

Last edited by mopowar; 10-01-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:36 AM
drap660
Rookie

Hey FL I have the perfect idea. I live 5 minutes from you. My truck is bone stock hemi, 392 gears but runs good. We can just run them and see exactly what the gains are. From a dig, on a roll. This is the best testing method. Then we can post the results.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:01 AM
FL09RamSport
Professional

Lets go!!!!! Do you have a place? Not may open roads out here.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:18 AM
daprincipal
Professional

What part of FL? My inlaws have a place in Bonita/ Naples area. Go tonight so all of us in the midwest where it is cold and rainy can be jealous that you are out running your trucks. If you are close to Naples I will buy the beverages when I come down in March.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:20 AM
drap660
Rookie

We stay further south than naples. Sent you a pm FL.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:19 PM
FL09RamSport
Professional

This is from Mike @ Diablo:

Anyone who wants to try the new 09 Ram test crom for Trinity or Predator, please email me at mlitsch@diablosport.com

Old 10-05-2009, 03:20 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by FL09RamSport
OK this is what can be adjusted:

Idle
MDS on/off
Part Throttle Upshift
RPM Shift Points
Rev and Speed Limiter
Tire size
WOT Fuel
WOT Spark

No ESP control!!!!!!!!

Now if I knew anything about the above adjustments I would know what this thing is capable of.
In my 05' I have adjusted most of everything you just listed.

Idle - Adjusting the idle in drive with the AC On/Off (helps if you have a high stall converter or if you feel like the truck is bogging down with the AC on
MDS on/off - No Mds on the 05's but this is basically standard on all the tuners now, from what i have heard from the 3rd gens with MDS taking it off is a very good thing
Part Throttle Upshift - Part throttle shifts are BY FAR the BEST thing diablo has going for them. Fortunately I was able to do the part up/down shifts and I can tell you first hand they make a heel of a difference in daily driving!!!
RPM Shift Points - Adjusting the WOT shift points, agian standard in most tuners and helps a lot in dialing in your shifts for better times.
Rev and Speed Limiter - Rev limiter on mine can go up to 7500rpms, Speed Limiter goes up to 190mph. Personally I have the rev limiter set to 6100, and the speed limiter set to 150mph (not that I will ever drive that fast on a stock suspension though)
Tire size - Another standard for mot of the tuners, if you go with a larger/smaller tire than stock you'll need this function to readjust the speedo
WOT Fuel & WOT Spark I haven't messed with these functions but after a few big mods if you find yourself running rich or lean this is where you can adjust for that, you can also adjust for knock and timing too if Im not mistaken.

Once they have all the kinks worked out, if it is anything like the way the one for my 05' is working, you guys who get one will LOVE this thing!!!

Last edited by truckin151; 10-05-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:10 PM
1954Radio
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets hope we can adjust the shift pressure as well as shift points, adjust throttle ratio, and hopefully have something for the crappy traction control issues

Old 10-05-2009, 09:43 PM
gaorenst
Rookie

FL09RamSport have you seen an increase in performance?

Quick Reply: Update on Diablo Tune