4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What's the best oil/filter? '09 Hemi

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Beerme
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best oil/filter? '09 Hemi

Change oil message just came on,right at 2500 miles.Whats the best oil (brand) to use.Regular? Synthetic? How about oil filter? Thanks-

Old 09-07-2009, 06:39 PM
464jet
Rookie

mobil1 5-20 and wix filter

Old 09-07-2009, 06:55 PM
renos09
Veteran

I use a Pure One with Valvoline Synpower synthetic or Penzoil Platnium

Old 09-07-2009, 07:02 PM
tombogue09
Captain

If your willing to spend the money then royal purple or amsoil is probably the best. I use mobil 1 with a mopar filter

Old 09-07-2009, 08:38 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a K&N filter with Castrol synthetic or Mobil One.

I have an oil sample after 6000 miles using Castrol synthetic and a K&N filter. Everything looked normal and the oil had additives left.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Beerme

Don't mind spending the money,but isn't oil, oil? Amsoil is diffently the best,saw the test in person,put it in,(lawnmower) drained it,then ran the lawnmower for awhile! with no oil! Old freind was a dealer-but is that available in stores or online only?

Old 09-08-2009, 01:59 AM
RamPhreak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beerme
Don't mind spending the money,but isn't oil, oil? Amsoil is diffently the best,saw the test in person,put it in,(lawnmower) drained it,then ran the lawnmower for awhile! with no oil! Old freind was a dealer-but is that available in stores or online only?
Then why did you ask if you already have an opinion??? LOL And any engine, especially a "lawn mower", can run for "awhile" with a slick oil coat....until the oil can no longer stay cool, cokes and warps/destroys the metals and freezes up.

Personally I don't think Amsoil is the best, nor is Royal Purple any better or worth the cost. (I have seen other oils destroy RP in other tests too. I used to have a sponsorship from ENEOS oil from Japan who were the first and I believe still the only company producing a high grade 0W-50 oil I used in my turbo cars when I used to road race. They supplied us with numerous test charts showing results "claimed" for various oils, including used oils, and found many of the "A" brands were not holding up-As I didnt witness the actual tests I will not vouch for them either but the oil was good.)

I am currently using Valvoline Synthetic with Purolator Pure One filters. The best thing about the Valvoline is the 300,000 mile warranty they also give which helps in addition to the "lifetime" warranty of the powertrain. The Pure One Filter is one of the best multi-pass filters out there at 99.9% efficient. The Mobil 1 is also pretty good.

Bottom line...Change your oil no matter what type you use!

Old 09-08-2009, 02:12 AM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RamPhreak
Then why did you ask if you already have an opinion??? LOL And any engine, especially a "lawn mower", can run for "awhile" with a slick oil coat....until the oil can no longer stay cool, cokes and warps/destroys the metals and freezes up.

Personally I don't think Amsoil is the best, nor is Royal Purple any better or worth the cost. (I have seen other oils destroy RP in other tests too. I used to have a sponsorship from ENEOS oil from Japan who were the first and I believe still the only company producing a high grade 0W-50 oil I used in my turbo cars when I used to road race. They supplied us with numerous test charts showing results "claimed" for various oils, including used oils, and found many of the "A" brands were not holding up-As I didnt witness the actual tests I will not vouch for them either but the oil was good.)

I am currently using Valvoline Synthetic with Purolator Pure One filters. The best thing about the Valvoline is the 300,000 mile warranty they also give which helps in addition to the "lifetime" warranty of the powertrain. The Pure One Filter is one of the best multi-pass filters out there at 99.9% efficient. The Mobil 1 is also pretty good.

Bottom line...Change your oil no matter what type you use!
I agree, the Purolator Pure one is a great filter, the textured finish makes them easy to grip as well and they don't break the bank. I also agree that RP is overrated and overpriced. I typically run Mobil 1 in my engines, Amsoil in my diffs and I've got Redline in my tranny.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:21 PM
72combo
Champion

Well for the first few oil changes I am gonna let the dealer do them in fact I have 4600km and 2 oil changes already just because of time. 3 months or 5000km that is my method. I think that as long as you do a proper maintenance schedule then your oil is probably coming out clean like mine mostly looks. Just the first one at 2000 was dirty. This one the dealer did by accident Ididn't ask them to it was in for recalls and rrts and getting my uconnect working.
I think when you have the dealer do it, they keep a record so you don't even have to. They call me if I forget to come in, although the schedule in the book says 10000km or 6 months, with this 5w20 water we have to use I can't imagine going that long.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:14 PM
TheRiz
Amateur
Default Best oil + filter

Did first oil + filter change at 500miles with M15w20+ pureone filter.A friend gave me Amsoil 5w20 for second oil change,engine did not like it,too thin,had valve noise. Now only use M1,thicker oil.

Quick Reply: What's the best oil/filter? '09 Hemi