4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ESP / BAS light stays on?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 10:37 PM
Aspenrt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESP / BAS light stays on?

Sometimes this light is off but most of the time it is on. If it is off when I start driving it will come on after 5 - 10 miles?
Is this just a quick re-set at the dealer?

Aspen R/T

Old 10-20-2009, 07:55 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the traction control kick in at all when the lights come on? There is an ABS computer reflash that takes care of a problem like that. Mine was just done after 3 trips to the dealer for inttermittant ABS/traction control issues and so far it seems to have fixed the problems

Old 10-20-2009, 10:13 AM
B.Kaiser1
Rookie

OK, I just had this problem.
I brought my 4X4 1500 Larime into the dealer to have the oil changed and to have the ABS flash done.
After the ABS flash, the ESP / BAS warning would start showing up intermittently. After about 300 miles it just stayed on.
I brought it back to the dealer and also asked about the TSB 18-019-09 if it applies to my truck. The dealer called me back and said it was a good thing that I asked about that TSB. Apparently The original dealer that sold me the truck added a flash that was for a 2WD truck instead of the 4WD one and because of that they now have to replace the Drivetrain Control Module.
The original ESP / BAS problem supposedly was caused by an internal leak in the master cylinder.
The truck is still at the dealer and is suppose to be ready today.....I'll update this post when I get it back.
I never had a problem at all until the ABS flash........Go figure!

Last edited by B.Kaiser1; 10-20-2009 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 10-21-2009, 10:45 AM
B.Kaiser1
Rookie

Originally Posted by B.Kaiser1
OK, I just had this problem.
I brought my 4X4 1500 Larime into the dealer to have the oil changed and to have the ABS flash done.
After the ABS flash, the ESP / BAS warning would start showing up intermittently. After about 300 miles it just stayed on.
I brought it back to the dealer and also asked about the TSB 18-019-09 if it applies to my truck. The dealer called me back and said it was a good thing that I asked about that TSB. Apparently The original dealer that sold me the truck added a flash that was for a 2WD truck instead of the 4WD one and because of that they now have to replace the Drivetrain Control Module.
The original ESP / BAS problem supposedly was caused by an internal leak in the master cylinder.
The truck is still at the dealer and is suppose to be ready today.....I'll update this post when I get it back.
I never had a problem at all until the ABS flash........Go figure!
Got it back from the dealer. They replaced the PCM, Master cylinder, Booster and the abs brake switch. They said the reason the ESP /BAS Light came on was because the brake fluid was low....There was an internal leak and the fluid was draining into the booster.
The PCM had the wrong flash in it and could not be corrected. It never gave me any problems that I noticed in 6200 miles. Maybe it would of in 4wd.

So I guess if those lights come on....CHECK THE BRAKE FLUID!
I never even opened the hood!

Old 10-21-2009, 01:47 PM
ictsean
Amateur

I had an intermittent probelm with that light and two others... three trips to the dealer yeilded.. first trip.. flash the Controller... second trip... replace some hydraulic thing.. guessing it was the mastercylinder, but I am not sure... third trip and it seems to have done the trick.. replace rear wheel sensor..

Old 10-21-2009, 06:15 PM
oldjeep
Champion

I take back my previous claim. After 2 days, my ABS issue is back again.

So far it's been in 3 times.
1) They thought that there was a damaged wire to the right rear sensor so they spliced in a chunk of wire
2) Replaced part of the harness
3) reflashed the abs controller

Called them up and they are going to get ahold of their factory tech contact to see what they should try next

Old 10-22-2009, 08:49 PM
jiffer
Rookie

This just happened to me. The ESP/BAS light comes immediately after start up. Airbag light comes on shortly after that. HVAC blower inop as well as rear windows, outside temp display is also off. After 3 days the blower, airbag light, rear windows and temp display now work intermittently.
Took it to the dealer for J12 recall(HVAC,) MDS flash(complained about surging and idle issues,) and issues related above.
They did the recall, MDS flash(still no fuelsaver light,) flashed the ABS and said I needed an ABS controller(will arrive in a couple of days.) They said the blower and other issues were taken care of with the updates. My wife picked it up so i was unable to check it out at the dealer.
So, I try to get into the truck and the keys are not working, had to use the blade key. I start it up and the headlights come on and the all of the intermittent stuff starts happening again.
My concern at this point is that my HID installation 2 weeks ago screwed something up. The lights work perfectly fine. It doesn't appear to be related completely to the lights being on or off. Does anyone else with this problem have HIDs installed?

Old 10-22-2009, 09:00 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Mine is going back in Monday for 2 days. Factory tech told them to check the resistance on a bunch of wiring and possibly replace the whole harness. Hope the loaner is nicer than the piece of crap I got last time.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:56 PM
iskybantilus
Professional

now i am scared. i have intermitantly the abs, esp/bas, serv 4wd, and truck with skid marks lights coming on, then going out after a short while. dropping at dealer monday but it sounds like this might take more then a day?! any advise from these experiences to tell the dealer to look for? i am seeing brake fluid here. i kinda figured it was maybe a wheel sensor for the abs.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:42 AM
B.Kaiser1
Rookie

Originally Posted by iskybantilus
now i am scared. i have intermitantly the abs, esp/bas, serv 4wd, and truck with skid marks lights coming on, then going out after a short while. dropping at dealer monday but it sounds like this might take more then a day?! any advise from these experiences to tell the dealer to look for? i am seeing brake fluid here. i kinda figured it was maybe a wheel sensor for the abs.
That was my first thought...a wheel sensor, but it turned out to be other issues.

I've noticed that with the new PCM it seems to idle faster. Now it's about 750 RPM in gear. If I recall, it use to idle at about 500 t0 550 in gear.

Good luck with your truck.

Quick Reply: ESP / BAS light stays on?