4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bakflip vs Mopar Tonneau

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 07:38 AM
Frouburg
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bakflip vs Mopar Tonneau

2010 Sport is on order and should be coming in within a month... the question that I have is which tonneau to purchase? I have decided that I want a hard, fold-able tonneau, and now it is time to make a decision. Looking for some opinions about the options out there and experiences anyone has had with either option.

I read the post about the Bakflip cover that was dented during a hail storm and it has me extremely reluctant to order a Bakflip product, but after talking to the dealer, the mopar one is pretty pricey so I thought I'd reconsider.

I'm looking for the pro's and con's of each and here is what I've come up with so far.

Mopar

Pro's - dealer installed and warrantied for 3 years, 36,000 miles
- able to lock the cover to safely store gear
- easily removable?

Con's - price - ~$900, plus labor to install
- unable to fold up the last section to give you full access to the bed
- not much feedback on the site about what people like/dislike

Bakflip

Pro's - price, thought I saw people talk about price of only $600
- able to fold up the last section, allowing you full access to the bed
without removing the cover

Con's - company's position on customer service
- "Act of God" excuse to get them out of standing behind their
product.
- i don't see any mention about the ability to lock the cover?
- the F1 cover costs more than the Mopar option, and the description
sounds more in line with the construction of the factory option
than the G2.

So, you can see that I'm about 95% decided that the Mopar option is the way I'm going to go, based mainly on the price and the post about Bakfilp's customer service policy, but thought I'd gather some input before I pull the trigger.

I'm open to other hard, fold-able options, so feel free to suggest other options. Please, no soft covers or solid one piece models, as I will be regularly hauling stuff and need full access to the bed at any moment.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:36 AM
jaflowers
Professional

I've got the Mopar folding cover, it's made by Fold-a-Cover. It's really nice and if you just gotta use the whole bed it comes off the truck in roughly 5 minutes or less depending how fast you are with a rachet. Only 4 bolts keep it on. Nice thing is it's covered by the Dodge warranty and I think since I got the lifetime bumper to bumper it ought to be covered by that too. It is the Fold-a-Cover LS series cover, not their newer G4 Elite.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:36 AM
slthemi10

Just ordered the bakflip g2. it should be here this week. i got it for $850can. like you, i didnt know what to get. i didnt want to get the one piece because of your same reason. i went with bakflip because of its price and its ability to be folded all the way. plus i was reading alot of reviews and every seems like they have something good to say about the product. i'll let you know more once the g2 arrives.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:45 AM
NEVRL8

I believe with the Bakflip the tailgate has to be open to open the first panel. So if you have a locking tailgate, your cover and things under it would be secure.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:10 AM
War Horse
All Star

Originally Posted by NEVRL8
I believe with the Bakflip the tailgate has to be open to open the first panel. So if you have a locking tailgate, your cover and things under it would be secure.
Exactly.

I labored over the same question for a long time. In the end I was on the verge of buying the Bakflip based on pretty much everything you've listed.

However, a few weeks ago I just fell in love with Leer's 700 hard cover. Yea, it's pricey as sh$%t, but the looks and features just sold me. I really wanted a cover to where I could easily use the full bed if I wanted. But since buying the truck I've become the default guy for anything when it gets moved since my co-workers drive a Civic, Sentra, Corvette, Camary, and an Elantra. While I don't mind computers and the ocassional box, I was getting more and more taskings to move server racks, UPS units, and A/C units. Of course if I was getting paid for this, or even at least getting a little gas money, then I wouldn't really mind. I'm hoping that the Leer and being a pain to remove will help deter them from calling me, at least for the big stuff.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:31 AM
dodgewasp

I have had the BakFlip G2 for a little over 6 months. I have been very please with it so far. Extremely easy to install. We have had some real heavy rainfall within the past 6 months and the bed stays dry. Bought it for $585.00 delivered price. Time will tell how good it holds up.....however so far so good. Good luck, I don't think you can go wrong on any of your choices.

DodgeWasp

Old 11-03-2009, 10:31 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make the dealer install it for free, and you can almost always find a 10% or 20% discount off mopar accessories. My dealer offered me 20% off anything I bought the day I picked up the truck.

There's a huge markup on the Mopar stuff and they will deal on the pricing - especially when you are buying a truck.

And I think everyone knows what I think of Bakflip

Old 11-03-2009, 05:02 PM
sneeks
Professional

I love my G2. Its been on the truck for 3 months now. Zero problems. But, of course, never seen the Mopar version.

And yes, if the tailgate locks, you cant get inside the G2.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:26 PM
Frouburg
Professional

thanks everyone, i really appreciate everyone's responses.

the discount of 10-20%, is that a coupon or is it something they just offer you at the dealership to entice you to buy stuff?

Old 11-03-2009, 06:38 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frouburg
thanks everyone, i really appreciate everyone's responses.

the discount of 10-20%, is that a coupon or is it something they just offer you at the dealership to entice you to buy stuff?

Sometimes they will just tell you a percentage, othertimes you will find a coupon by going to the dealer website and clicking on parts specials. They will deal on the price, especially if you tell them that you're comparing price against aftermarket parts.

You loose a little leverage by ordering the truck, but a discount on already over market up accessories is an easy way for them to sweeten a deal without loosing any money.

Quick Reply: Bakflip vs Mopar Tonneau