4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thinking about selling my truck.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 09:44 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking about selling my truck.

So that is it. I put it on Craigslist and I will let everyone know if I get any replies.

I am back to driving long distances and don't want to pay for all of the gas along with the payment.

Then again, maybe I will change my mind.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:06 PM
sneeks
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that sucks!

I drive 60+ miles a day in my personal vehicle....and another 50-60 miles at work. Most of the reason i went from a sports coupe to a truck. A lot more comfortable.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Oosik
Professional

Atleast stick with a HEMI, like a charger...or even a challenger?

Old 11-05-2009, 12:45 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Sounds like a big money losing idea. How much gas $$ do you figure you're going to save in exchange for the big depreciation hit on a 1 year old truck?

Old 11-05-2009, 12:45 PM
crod
All Star

if you can swing it. keep the truck. buy a "beater". for instance i drive a reg. cab. 97 ford ranger. 4 banger stick shift. gets about 24mpg. air conditioning. power windows. plus they are cheap to insure. cheap to buy compared to compact cars. they run forever..... might be a good deal for ya. then you can keep the miles off of the ram, drive it for fun. etc...

Old 11-05-2009, 01:51 PM
HEMICrew
Rookie
Default Options

Just an example. If you drive 30,000 miles and use an average of 14mpg (very conservative assumptions here) at a price of $2.75/gal for unleaded fuel, you'll spend $5892.85 a year for gas compared to $$2750 a year for gas with a vehicle averaging 30mpg. That's a difference of a little over $3100 a year. You probably drive less than that and average better fuel economy than that so the difference would most likely be less.

In this example, you'd pay $261.90 more a month for gas than you would with the 30mpg vehicle.

If you drove half that number of miles and averaged 16mpg (EPA avg. for 4X2 Hemi), then you would spend $100.26 more a month to keep the truck. You really just need to look at everything. In other words, you'd have to compare your truck's average mpg and avg. miles driven per year to another vehicle you'd plan on buying and that avg. mpg and miles. Take into account insurance, etc.

Ultimately, you need to make the best decision for yourself. As far as miles are concerned, just pay the $1675 or so for the Maxcare Lifetime bumper-to-bumper $100 deductible warranty and you'll never have to worry about miles really because you have a lifetime warranty. That's why I bought the warranty to compliment my lifetime powertrain...biggest no brainer in the book if you plan on keeping your truck for more than 3-5 years.

Jason

Old 11-05-2009, 03:44 PM
AL68
Rookie

Yea your going to take a hit on trading in a one year old truck, you don't want to get a beater though either for something your going to be spending a lot of time in. My brother just picked up a nice used four year old Accord for like 8K to use for his long commute.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:02 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

So, I traded the truck. They gave me 26,500$ for it. I got a new 2009 Nissan Versa. I have a payment of 240$ a month compared to 550$ a month. I also can get at least 35 mpg highway in it. So, I am saving 310$ a month by not having the truck. It has a 3/36 everything and 5/60 powertrain warranty. For the next 2 years, I anticipate putting 15K a year on my vehicle.

Is getting rid of my truck what I wanted? Hell no!

Does it get me out of debt quicker? YES! By getting this car, I dumped 15K$ off of my total debt and over the next three years I will save 11k$ in gas and payments. I want to get in a house more than having a really nice truck. Before anyone says it, I was going to pay 14K$ in interest on the truck vs. 4k$ on this car.

By getting a lower payment and better gas mileage, I can put the savings onto a credit card and pay it off a lot quicker. Once it is paid off, then I can pay off other stuff quicker, etc, etc.

I got a really good deal when I got the truck and I was able to get a really good deal on the Versa. I mean, they made an offer and then dropped another 1000$ off. So in the end they moved 4100$ for a car they were asking 11,900$ for.

As far as a beater, I thought about it, but then if it broke I could spend the years worth of savings fixing it. I also thought about driving the wifey's car, but it only gets 20 mpg. The 550$ payment is what was killing me.

I have a service manual, a set of almost new HID fogs with a relay, and a set of Rain Ex windshield wipers that are brand new that I need to get rid of. If you want something, PM me.

I will still be around, but I am moving on to other forums now.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:26 PM
bigred3297
Record Breaker

Tough decision but a necessary one. It's been a pleasure Luke.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:40 AM
capsfloyd
Captain

I am sorry you have to give up the ride, but I always wonder why some people drive full size trucks. Did you use for work,towing[boat-atv's-pwc??] Or buy it for safety or sitting up higher?

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling my truck.