4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Aftermarket remote start

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 09:43 PM
RTCarlin
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket remote start

Just got a '10 Ram that came with basicly every option other than remote start... I've been shopping around for aftermarket units and they seem pretty affordable. Has anyone installed their own? If so, what brand and tips for the install do you have? Or should I just let the stealership install one? How much does the dealer generally charge?

Thanks in advance!

---Ron

Old 11-14-2009, 09:48 PM
sneeks
Professional

They want to charge me 500$ for the equipment and install for me. Dunno if you would get a better deal where u live. In the end, thats like 2 hrs labor @ 100$ per hr.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:08 PM
zuiquan1
Professional

Ive heard nothing but bad reviews from people with the stock RS unit, if I were I'd stick with an aftermarket system. Viper is pretty good I believe.

Last edited by zuiquan1; 11-14-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:24 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The factory remote start costs $235
Installation looks pretty easy and then you need the dealer to activate it with starscan
http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en-...=3347&pc=45056

Old 11-14-2009, 10:56 PM
sneeks
Professional

I'd have to say this is one thing i would let the dealer do. What happens when u set up your fobs...and u cant start the truck?

Old 11-15-2009, 08:24 AM
CJDTAUTOTECH
Rookie

stealership huh

Dealerships always are teh bad guys huh , funny I ahve seen so many people trust that back yard guy who replaces everything under the hood and never fixes the problem, but you trust him, then it come in and we fix it, but we are theifs.

go let some butcher cut your wiring harness up and insatll that aftermarket crap then come in and complain to the dealership about all the stuff that doesnmt work since they worked on it

People like me come in here to help our customers not to be insulted.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:08 AM
sneeks
Professional

I like the people in the service department.

I believe they are called stealerships because people fail at negotating prices, and end the end take more money than they should. Thats not the service department, thats the sales department

Old 11-15-2009, 11:30 AM
RTCarlin
Rookie

Originally Posted by CJDTAUTOTECH
stealership huh

Dealerships always are teh bad guys huh , funny I ahve seen so many people trust that back yard guy who replaces everything under the hood and never fixes the problem, but you trust him, then it come in and we fix it, but we are theifs.

go let some butcher cut your wiring harness up and insatll that aftermarket crap then come in and complain to the dealership about all the stuff that doesnmt work since they worked on it

People like me come in here to help our customers not to be insulted.
guess I touched a nerve with that one. I in no way intended to imply that dealerships were incompetent or dishonest, just that they are generally the most expensive place to get work done. $50 oil changes, $500 to replace a heater control valve, the rediculous cost to do xxxxx mile maintenance which consists of basicly an oil change and tire rotation plus a thourough once over of the drivetrain... I suppose you pay for techs certified by Mopar, and in many situations, I'd gladly pay for the piece of mind that comes with it. But with the horror stories I've heard about the oem reemote start kits, I'm just not interested.

Furthermore, I take offence to your implication that anyone working outside your Chrysler sanctioned environment is a "butcher". A lot of us out here are very good and highly qualified electicians, electronic techs, and mechanics. We just chose to work outside the Chrysler world.

My initial question was valid. Are there any special concerns when installing an aftermarket unit? The basic install is simple, but are there any quirks with the 4th Gen that make the job "special"?

Honestly, there wouldn't be much of a need for the forum community if we all just took our trucks into the dealer to get everything done, now would there?

---Ron

Old 11-15-2009, 11:40 AM
tombogue09
Captain

Originally Posted by RTCarlin
I in no way intended to imply that dealerships were incompetent or dishonest,
Imply it! I've been lied to and ran around by my dealer with this new truck till its made me sick. I'm not talking about the sales department either. Fortunately I found another dealer that isn't too bad soI guess it just depends on where you go

Anyway, the stock remote starter isn't all that bad. I've had my truck for a year and it has worked flawlessly despite one occasion where it shut off for no reason

Old 11-15-2009, 11:42 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest concern in having an aftermarket remote start installed is all the splicing into the stock harness of a brand new vehicle and being sure that whoever is installing it is going to stand behind it if they screw it up.

As for $50 oil changes, your dealer must be special - mine cost $35. Cheaper than taking it to the local Jiffy lube or Valvoline instant Oil change.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket remote start