4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

Who has used a throttle body spacer on their Hemi?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 12:05 AM
DesertHemi2500
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has used a throttle body spacer on their Hemi?

So I know many of you have heard of these mythical devices that claim to sound killer and add power but has anyone here actually used one on a 4th Gen Hemi? I'm strapped for cash but when it comes to horsepower I can always find an excuse to shell out a few extra bucks so heres my question. Has anyone here actually used the Airaid throttle body spacer or any brand for that matter on a 4th gen Hemi and did you feel any difference? And I really don't care about gas mileage which I know they claim, I drive a truck so I don't expect to get good gas mileage..... I have heard they make a whistling sound which actually sounds pretty rad to me but does it really make a difference in power that's worth $120?
http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta...A1851A0A0.aspx

Old 03-04-2010, 12:55 AM
TorRedOrv0436
Veteran

Snake oil...save your money!

Old 03-04-2010, 12:58 AM
DesertHemi2500
Rookie

Looking for first hand experience or facts here....

Old 03-04-2010, 09:11 AM
JohnVI
Veteran

Obviously this is not the exact scenario your looking for, but I did have one on a chevy, and i honestly didn't see a difference. I did hear the sound, and i believe a CAI/SRI might attribute to the sound, but IMHO i would put this money towards a tuner which will add RWH you might be able to feel more.

Just adding my experience

Old 03-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Thatmarkguy
Veteran

Tell you what, send me half the money they want for that spacer and I'll put a magical spell on your truck that will give you ungodly amounts of horsepower and gas mileage so good you won't ever have to fill your truck up again.

Don't believe me, but you believe that putting a metal spacer between your throttle body and the intake manifold will help do anything? On a carburetor or throttle body injection set-up this will help because it will help atomize the air/fuel mixture (very little, unless you run a tunnel ram manifold). But the fuel injection in our trucks takes place on the intake manifold just above the intake port on the head. How would adding a 1/2" of length of space to the air ducting do anything at all? Think about it.

Like it's been said before - Snake oil!

Old 03-04-2010, 01:00 PM
DesertHemi2500
Rookie

Thanks guys I will put my money elsewhere. If only there was a power tuner available for the 2010 2500 Hemi..... Well I can dream for now. I can only imagine how much hp a 91 octane tune would add, On my 2001 mustang gt I gained 16rwhp and a nice chirp between gears with an automatic. With the 400 Hp Hemi I bet it would work wonders.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:14 PM
bohrman44
Professional

I had one on my HEMI.....the sound in town is kinda cool, but on long trips, the constant whistle is annoying!!!!!

Old 03-04-2010, 06:38 PM
09RuffRam
Veteran

i always read they did nothing but figured for a couple bucks why not try it out. never noticed a thing. sounded like a wheel bearing was just howling. only a certain rpm range actually sounded good

Old 03-04-2010, 10:20 PM
ROMAN09

WOW...it seems that there are a lot of people out there that are unaware of what the little thing can do to your engine. We all know that a little thing can screw it up...well, it can also make it better. The tbs is designed to spiral the air into the cylinder to HELP create a more complete burn. (Without detonation, hot spots and/or valve wear) The idea is to increase the ability of the air sucked into the cylinder to burn better. It is designed to spiral the air to cause a type of vortex of swirling air on the top of the piston. When the air burns cleaner, hotter and more evenly, you can get better throttle response, low end torque and possibly better fuel milage. I don't think that a tbs by itself will do anything other than make a cool noise, you'll probably have to do the intake as well.
The intake helps your truck breathe, the better it can breathe the better it will perform.
I've got one on mine. With an airaid mxp intake and a magnaflow exhaust, I've also had the dealership increase my performance tune so it's still under warranty.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:30 AM
rjc799
Veteran

How did you have the dealer increase your performance tune?????

Quick Reply: Who has used a throttle body spacer on their Hemi?