4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Honestly, how bad is driving noise with mud tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 02:39 PM
jk360
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had pro comp xterrains and the noise made me wanna turn into a tree at 65mph! now i have toyo m/t's and they are extremely quiet!

Old 08-04-2010, 03:25 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Toyo M/Ts and Nitto Trail Grapps are very similar in tread pattern (Toyo owns Nitto btw), and they musta hit a home run with them cause just about everybody is starting to offer that same basic tread pattern. Look at Goodyear MT/Rs, Pro Comp Xtreme M/Ts, Cooper STTs to name a few...

Of course if you are using your truck as a daily driver with weekend trails, camping, hunting, etc. and limit yourself to light mud, the Nitto Terra Grapps are VERY quiet and have about the best wet pavement/ice rating on the planet...

Old 08-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run Firestone destination M/T's. When I first got them they not bad at all, at any speed, then I let get over worn during last winter, when the pavement finally dried, they sung CRAZY, got them rotated and they've worn back to a low hum, even at high speeds 65+. The tread pattern makes all the difference, and keep them rotated.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:44 PM
disturbedgator
Captain

i had mud graps, and although i cant compare them to anyother mts, they were extrememly loud. they look badass, and i loved them in the mud. but alas i had a son and the ball and chain said they had to go. if you are worried about sound, than go with the toyo mts or trail grapplers. and its insane to judge peoples masculinity by the "coolness" of their tires.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:47 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

What tires you runnin' with now, Gator?

Old 08-04-2010, 07:53 PM
luckydt
Veteran

i have the nitto trail grapplers on mine and love them. If you have the radio on really can't hear them at all.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:50 PM
disturbedgator
Captain

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
What tires you runnin' with now, Gator?
im runnin hankook atm's right now in 35s. they were free brand new from my boss so i figured id sell the mud grapps and get a huge jump start for my cam and heads fund. they have a tread really similar to the terra grapps and i gained almost 1 mpg with them. havent had them in the mud yet but since the kid came out i have no time for wheelin anyway. super silent and give a great ride.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:34 PM
4X HEMI
Professional

I've heard that the Nitto Mud Grapplers are noisy, don't get me wrong I liked the Nitto Terra Grapplers I use to have on mine.

IMO ... The Toyo M/T's are very quiet, I have the 37's on mine and there is no noise at all, I know several other people that have them and they can't believe how quiet they are for a mud terrain tire.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:32 AM
05Hemi4auburn

It all depends on what you're used to. To some people A/T's are loud, to others, mudders aren't bad at all. What have you run in the past so you can have a basis to compare to?

I'd have to agree with Hammer about the Interco Boggers. Had those on my hunting truck and they were the loudest I've ever heard. But, IMO, they are the best on the market when it comes to mud tires, at least for back tires; they don't have much steering control for fronts. Based on the Mud Grapplers tread pattern, I'd guess they are pretty loud.
You've got to look at the tradeoff: what do you define as loud, how much do you go off road, and if the ladies where you live like awesome looking mud tires, then definitely get 'em!!

Old 08-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Hemi Ram Rod

I have 35" mud grapplers and they are not as bad as you would think. I cant here them at all over the straight pipes lol.

Quick Reply: Honestly, how bad is driving noise with mud tires?