4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Honestly, how bad is driving noise with mud tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:13 AM
CardinalsFan11
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honestly, how bad is driving noise with mud tires?

I'm thinking about throwing some 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers on my truck. How bad is the noise between 30 and 75? Who has experience with any kind of mud tires? If it is really that terrible let me know. All input is appreciated!

Old 08-04-2010, 12:21 AM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've read second hand that they are not really that bad! course the owner will be a little biased cuz of the money factor. But I tend too believe them. i've heard louder, and then hell my street tires make a noise. there is gotta be point where you just put up with it. i don't think the nitto's are at that point yet.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:23 AM
okaymatt
Professional

If you like the sound and noise from street tires, don't get them. But if your going to be a man and grow a set and compliment your truck with a sexy sound, get them. But honestly, its not bad at all, specially if you have your radio on.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:25 AM
ekgaudio
Rookie

Ive got Trail Grapplers and mine arent bad at all. Little howel on the express way but if the radio is on i cant hear them.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:31 AM
butch1581
Captain

Get the trail grapplers if you are worried at all about noise. I think they look just as aggressive as the MT and the road noise is minimal. They are louder than street tires for sure, but not bad especially if you have an exhaust you wont here them. I actually notice it more at slower speeds.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:43 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I have always heard it depends on the tread and the manufacture. Some are really loud and some are not as bad.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:29 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Loudest tires I've ever heard in my life are the Interco Boggers, followed by the Nitto Mud Grapps, followed by the Mickey Thompson Baja Claws.

If you want to listen to music or carry on a conversation without yelling at the top of your lungs, avoid those three... But all three are AWESOME mud and soft trail tires!!!

Old 08-04-2010, 09:26 AM
bensonjv

I ran Dunlop M/T's and while I loved the look and capability, I have to confess to wishing they were a little quieter.

Can't really give you a simple answer, it wouldn't be accurate or fair to you. Key variables to consider with responses are brand of tire, road surfaces, and tolerance of owners. Some folks really like the sound (or are deaf and can't actually hear it). Some are very sensitive to the sound.

Obviously its a trade-off. If you want more aggressive tread and off-road traction you will sacrifice ride quality and noise on surface streets. But, if you enjoy and will be spending a lot of time in the mud, the sacrifice is likely worth it.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:35 PM
ram man17
Captain

I have ridin in a few fords with 35" mud graps. They do humm loud but nothing that the radio or exhuast wont cover up. The only time when it gets a pain is when they run low on tread, thats when those babies will really sing

Old 08-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

My friend had super swampers on his ford. Sounded like a helicopter and the wore down really fast.

Originally Posted by okaymatt
But if your going to be a man and grow a set and compliment your truck with a sexy sound
mud tires = being a man? Sounds like you're trying to compensate for something

Quick Reply: Honestly, how bad is driving noise with mud tires?