4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

USB ports on 2011

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011 | 11:42 PM
Nate769
All Star

I have a (RHR) deck and when I first got the truck which was like 3 weeks ago I pluged a WD 160GB drive into the glovebox and it worked fine! Loaded some music unto the drive, stuck another usb drive into the deck (forgot about the drive in the glovebox) Now neither of the usb slots will recognize anything! Did I do something wrong by plugging both of them in? If so how do I fix it!
Oh and the drives get power in both the slots...I would assume they get the power from the same fuse as the radio...

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Old 08-15-2011 | 07:14 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Nate769
I have a (RHR) deck and when I first got the truck which was like 3 weeks ago I pluged a WD 160GB drive into the glovebox and it worked fine! Loaded some music unto the drive, stuck another usb drive into the deck (forgot about the drive in the glovebox) Now neither of the usb slots will recognize anything! Did I do something wrong by plugging both of them in? If so how do I fix it!
Oh and the drives get power in both the slots...I would assume they get the power from the same fuse as the radio...

Have you tried to 'reboot' the radio (it's really some type of dedicated computer-type device) by pulling the radio fuse for 10 min?

Rob

Old 08-15-2011 | 08:01 AM
Nate769
All Star

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
Have you tried to 'reboot' the radio (it's really some type of dedicated computer-type device) by pulling the radio fuse for 10 min?

Rob
sure have...pulled M12 fuse let it sit all night and still nothing! Just tried the same stick in a 2010 Caravan and worked like a charm...

Old 08-20-2011 | 04:05 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by briang
by your description it has the same function as the the port in the front of the radio, dose it offer any control of the ipod?
No you have to buy the 100 dollar cable that hooks up behind the radio and you can really put it anywhere they say glovebox but if you have the center console you can run that wire all the way back to under the armrest or inside the box. That is the only way to get control of the ipod or touch on the RER radio. RHR does it wirellessly.

Old 06-25-2012 | 03:25 PM
taylor10

Have a 2011 1500 and have the following issue:
The USB connection in the glove box it is hit or miss. I would say it works 1 out of every 10 tries or start ups. I have used my Iphone 3Gs and Nano both have worked, but they tend to not work and just get the message error occurred. I asked the dealership and they really had nothing saying turn the car off and unplug and replug in. Sometimes it works but most of the time it does not.
If anyone has a fix so that the USB port in the Glove box always works I would love to hear it.
Thanks!

Old 06-25-2012 | 06:07 PM
taylor10

Found the answer to the problem in a different forum. Worked like a champ!!!
Essentially it is a software update that apparently the dealership doesn't seem to know about, or have tech's that have no knowledge of their own product. Simple software update to the system that takes about 15 minutes. The link to the instructions are below.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/audio-v...ead-units.html

Old 10-24-2012 | 03:50 PM
vmal21

I noticed the same with my 2011 Ram..when i'm streaming audio it plays in fast forward...only if my iphone display is on,,,one i hit the button for my phone for my display to go away....the music fine,,Its fustrating because you want to select what you want to listen to....I hope there is an update that fixes that,,,,

Old 10-26-2012 | 01:51 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Nate769

Nate,

I checked in to your issue with our technical assistance group and having both drives in use will not affect your head unit.
That being said, we recommend you get your Ram in to your dealer to investigate the issue.

Let me know what happens and PM me if you need any help.

Old 11-02-2012 | 03:37 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by vmal21
I noticed the same with my 2011 Ram..when i'm streaming audio it plays in fast forward...only if my iphone display is on,,,one i hit the button for my phone for my display to go away....the music fine,,Its fustrating because you want to select what you want to listen to....I hope there is an update that fixes that,,,,

Vmal,

As stated above, this has been reviewed with our technical assistance group and having both drives in use should not affect your head unit.

If you are looking for further assistance feel free to PM me.

Quick Reply: USB ports on 2011