4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Speaker info

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 07:34 PM
wellstep
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speaker info

So I am looking for some opinions I am looking for some more clarity a little more bass I was going to simply replace the 6x9 front and rear with some mid grade pioneer 6x9 and then the dask 3.5 with some kicker 3.5 and that was it looking for some opinions or if anyone has done thus and it is worth the effort and the few hundred bucks. Thanks for any input.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:40 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can read opinions on this site until your eyes bleed and still not get a solid recomendation.

There are a few things you need to keep in mind before even making a move on tearing into the audio in your Ram. The first thing you need to consider is how much you want to spend and the second is how much mod work do you want to do? Do you want to get into modding the interior to allow for larger speakers, or do you just want replace factory speakers?

Honestly, you need to go into an audio store and listen to what they have. Keep in mind that the speakers you buy will never sound as good as they did in the store. Stores will have the speakers tuned in to fit the area in which they mount them to make them sound as good as possible.

Generically, I have a few brands that I enjoy more than others and I have them listed below.

Speaker brands that are worthy of looking at:
Infinity
Hertz
Alpine
MacIntosh
Polk

Brands to stay away from:
Sony
JVC
Kicker
Kenwood
JL
Pioneer
and any other paper build speaker.

If you have the Alpine system in the truck already, you might be happy just by adding in an amp to the factory speakers.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:33 AM
Ross -in-Georgia
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with Boston Acoustics speakers, 3 1/2 in the dash and 6 1/2 in the 4doors... I also added a JL Audio 175 watt RMS monoblock amp with a matching JL Audio 10" sub... What an inprovement over the stock setup... I did not have the upgraded system in my 2010 TRX4. Originally I was going to swap out the head unit... No need now. Boston Acoustics are great speakers. I order all from www.sonicelectronix.com at about 40% lower then Crutchfield. It cost less then $600 for all plus my time

Old 06-06-2011, 07:23 AM
Lie2me
Rookie

need more info to give you a solid answer. Regular cab? What head unit are you running? I went thru Crutchfield when trying to figure out what I wanted to do.

I completely revamped my stereo in my 2010 RC and then pulled it all out and bought a CC with the Alpine system.

Personally, I am a huge fan of Polk audio when it comes to speakers and Kenwood Excelon for the head units.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:00 AM
wellstep
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info and feed back I am looking to keep it very basic so I would really only want to replace the factory speakers without any modification to mounting locations. I also have a factory REN head unit with a Lockpick on it. I am happy with the head unit so no changes there for now. Just looking for a little deeper bass and some clearer highs that aftermarket speakers can provide. As for the truck I have the regular non-Alpine system and I have a Crew Cab so 6x9 in front and rear doors and the 3.5 in the dash.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Ross -in-Georgia
Amateur

The reason I went with Boston's is they are very shallow. I purchased the speaker mount kit, wire harness. So easy to do.. I was finished in about 1 hour... As for the amp and sub, I used a converter for the RCA's... Mounted the amp under the drivers seat.. Sub under the rear seat.. The sound clarity is amazing..

Old 06-06-2011, 02:58 PM
eclipsems
Professional

Originally Posted by wellstep
Thanks for the info and feed back I am looking to keep it very basic so I would really only want to replace the factory speakers without any modification to mounting locations. I also have a factory REN head unit with a Lockpick on it. I am happy with the head unit so no changes there for now. Just looking for a little deeper bass and some clearer highs that aftermarket speakers can provide. As for the truck I have the regular non-Alpine system and I have a Crew Cab so 6x9 in front and rear doors and the 3.5 in the dash.
If you want to improve your stereo, the stock speakers should not be your focus.

The stock speakers are better than most people realize.

If you want to improve your audio experience, install a sub, secondary the amp and subsiquently the head unit. The stock speakers are the last items I'd replace in my system.

I've been upgrading audio in my cars for 20 years with high end components, spending more money than I care to remember. The stock speakers are better than most sub $500 dollar component speakers out there.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:03 AM
hemirae
Amateur

stock speakers perform beter with stock HU/amp because they are rated 2 ohms. Most aftermarket speakers are 4 ohms.

Quick Reply: Speaker info