4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Burning Music to Hard Drive From USB Device- 730N

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011 | 07:06 AM
kowalcs
|
Professional
Default Burning Music to Hard Drive From USB Device- 730N

Should I be able to burn music to my HDD from a USB connected MP3 player? When I plug both my iPod and my old Creative Labs MP3 players into either of the USB ports in my truck, they will play through the radio. But when I go to "My Files", "Add Files to HDD", I can only select "From Disc". The icon for "USB" is grayed out, so I can't select it. Any tricks to doing this or is there something wrong? My buddy told me he has only tried with a jump drive and it works and not an actual MP3 device. I have yet to try this method. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-19-2011 | 08:43 PM
jayman84
Captain

Two things you can try. First is to load music in your ipod by just clicking and dragging the files to it without using itunes

Old 08-19-2011 | 08:45 PM
jayman84
Captain

The other thing you can do is if you have a smart phone then hook your phone to your computer and use it as a hard drive to store your music on and then plug your phone e into your radio and transfer the music that way

Old 08-19-2011 | 09:43 PM
Nate769
All Star

As far as I know a device has to be a mass storage device in order to transfer. Because your MP3 is not considered a mass storage device it will only play not transfer.

Old 08-20-2011 | 02:53 PM
jayman84
Captain

If you just click and drag files to your ipod without using itunes then you are using it as a mass storage device. I know that when I use my droid x as a mass storage device then I can transfer music to my radio with no problems

Old 08-20-2011 | 06:29 PM
kowalcs
|
Professional

Thanks for the replies. I think I will transfer all of my music onto my external hard drive and then plug that into the truck. Sounds like I've got some work ahead of me, but once completed, it will be worth it.

Old 08-20-2011 | 06:41 PM
Nate769
All Star

Originally Posted by kowalcs
Thanks for the replies. I think I will transfer all of my music onto my external hard drive and then plug that into the truck. Sounds like I've got some work ahead of me, but once completed, it will be worth it.
You can also burn your music to a mp3 DVD...Just in case you want to back up your music at the same time. Im also told that a DVD does transfer a little faster, but I cant testify to that, just rumors. It all depends on how much music your transferring.

Yes you can set up an ipod or MP3 as a mass storage device, but the device has to be set up for it. Sometimes it also erases anything on it to make the partition, so I just think its easier to do it via USB stick

Old 08-20-2011 | 06:44 PM
Nate769
All Star

Oh and I do believe your hard drive has to be formatted in FAT format not NTSC...Most HUs dont recognize NTSC, but these new ones might be different. I know they read FAT so before you spend all that time transferring it might just be easier to format it just in case it doesnt.

Old 08-21-2011 | 08:43 PM
72combo
Champion

Just get the IPOD connection and you can use and charge your ipod thru the radio controls. For the RER its a cable you hook on the radio then the radio wiring then run the cable to glove box or somewhere in the center console if you have one,
but I am sure they must have something for the RHR.

Old 08-21-2011 | 11:55 PM
Nate769
All Star

Originally Posted by 72combo
Just get the IPOD connection and you can use and charge your ipod thru the radio controls. For the RER its a cable you hook on the radio then the radio wiring then run the cable to glove box or somewhere in the center console if you have one,
but I am sure they must have something for the RHR.
the RHR is all done just through your standard Ipod cable! (the one you get when you buy it) charging, playing...no converters necessary! Don't ask me how they have done it, but all I know is it works!

Quick Reply: Burning Music to Hard Drive From USB Device- 730N