4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bilstein 5100 DIY Install (Pic Heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 10:10 AM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RAMeister
Nice write-up and look.
Would this be the same procedure on a 2011 1500 Laramie 4x4?

Thanks again...
As far as I am concerned yes it would be, I haven't heard anything changing on the 2011's...maybe someone w/ a 2011 can chime in. I am pretty sure it's identical.

Originally Posted by crod
i want to level my truck so bad, but im afraid of the shudder/wabble that 99% of everyone on the boards has got.... regardless of these shocks or plain spacers.

dont know if it changed at all, but i have an early build 09 sport..
I was cautious about doing it as well, but said screw it...I don't use 4x4 a lot....it's not that bad of a wobble that some people claim....maybe it's worse on others? But then again these people that claim this use there 4x4 on dry pavement..that's mistake #1...I tried it on a dirt/rock road and could feel it but it wasn't that noticeable....

Old 12-19-2011, 10:28 AM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jayman84
I will share my story for those of you concerned about wobble. I put my bilsteins on the 1.5 setting and instantly had the wobble. I had ordered a set of the kore high angle cv joints and planned on installing both at the same time but the cv joints took a while to ship and I didn't want to wait for them. Once they arrived I installed the high angle joints thinking that would help with the wobble. It did eliminate about 50% of the wobble but it was still very noticeable. Then I got a letter from dodge about my front tie rod ends being recalled so I went and got that done and the new tie rods completely solved my wobble problems and they have been gone now for around 8k miles. Also for those of you who want to tow trailers and not worry about coon hunting going down the road then I would go with the 1.5 setting. It really changed the look of my truck.
I had my tie rod ends done before I installed these and I personally don't think that it's that bad of a wobble...Would you recommend installing the High CV Joints?

Originally Posted by LU229
Excellent Job Mike...!!!! Truck looks awesome too bro...!
As for adjusting the height, is this done by adding or taking away any spacers under the spring seat on the shock body itself...?
Forgive me buddie, i`m not up to speed on lifting trucks. I had an old 74 powerwagon years ago that i lifted (4"body lift & 4"spring lift) but i havent messed with lifting another truck since. (and to think, that was 32 years ago when i lifted that truck....LOL LOL LOL) Anyhow, i`m just curious how those shocks you have on your truck now, can change to different ride heights.
Thanks bud, I love the look of the truck now...really changes the WHOLE look of it.

Well on the strut itself it has 4 cut outs that you put this retainer clip in (it's a pain to pop out and move it up or down, using a scribe worked best for me) then the OEM spring seat rest's on that right on the body of the strut. The four settings are (.7", 1.5", 2.0", 2.75"). If you go back to my pics (step #10) and look at the OEM spring seat you'll see the grooves where that retainer clip sits. So that's how it raises the front end of your truck. You do not use any spacers w/ these. Also it has stiffened up the ride a LITTLE bit but I personally think it rides better than stock. I also added a .75" spacer in the rear w/ zero ride difference.

Originally Posted by Darek117
I hear that over time the nuts loosen and the hight comes down a bit. Has any one had this issue, solved this issue or noticed this issue? I herd you can score the threads but what if you want to adjust down one day?
Darek, which nut loosens? The only nut on these struts are the one that connects to the strut rod itself but that would not affect the ride height. The height is adjusted on using a retainer clip (forget the actual name of the part haha) that the OEM spring seat sits on. I personally haven't heard any issues of this yet.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:03 PM
jayman84
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had wobble so bad that my wheel would shake back and forth going down the road in 2wd. I did not even try it in 4wd for the first week since I was worried that it would break something. It was so bad that it would shake both of my arms while i put a death grip on the wheel trying to hold it still. I'm not going to come out and tell you that spending $$$ on the kore high angle joints will fix your slight wobble but at the same time it cant hurt since your stock cv joints are not designed for the higher angle they are under now. But I will tell you that my truck now drives as smooth as it did when I first bought it and I do have both the kore cv joints installed and the tie rod end recall done.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

Wow thats crazy... I have zero wobble in 2wd, which I didn't think you wpuld since the forward differential isn't engaged... Maybe I'm wrong. I'm going to look into these higher angle cv jointsjust for the 4x4 use, i don't use it that often...how much did they run you?

Well atleast you got your truck back to riding smooth!

Old 12-19-2011, 09:36 PM
jayman84
Captain

The Kore performance ones that I bought list at $799. I got mine on special for $700. They are pricey but they are heavy duty. I don't skimp on any parts that go on my truck, I like to keep it as reliable and capable as I can.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:48 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

Jayman I hear yah about skimpin out on parts, do it RIGHT the first time. I am going to be looking into these CV Joints, thanks for the advice. Btw sweet color truck!

Old 12-20-2011, 06:29 PM
RAMeister
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply... I see that they have swapped part numbers around on the shocks.
Which Part # did you install?
Did you swap the rears also? Or leave them stock?
Exactly what spacers do you add?
Any suggestions on a reputable place on-line to buy them?

Thanks again for all the info and your efforts.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RAMeister
Thanks for the reply... I see that they have swapped part numbers around on the shocks.
Which Part # did you install?
Did you swap the rears also? Or leave them stock?
Exactly what spacers do you add?
Any suggestions on a reputable place on-line to buy them?

Thanks again for all the info and your efforts.
Alot of places are pretty even on pricing... I ordered mine from TireRack.com and save your time and spend the few extra $$ and buy from someone else. They sent me the wrong struts, I emailed them and I had to send them back, drive to fedex to return them. They paid for the return label but I had to pay to re-package them b/c the boxes they shipped in were trashed, not the UPS box but the actual bilstein box. They claimed they'd send me $50 in return to put towards my next purchase, still haven't received....I don't and won't take my business back to places like this....sorry for the LONG RANT haha. Just check around online and make sure they have them in stock before ordering b/c some guys on other forums said they were on backorder for sometime.

Back on topic...

I left my rears alone..decided to save the $$ until it's time to replace them, they only have 24k on them. When they go bad I will put the bilstein's on.

I used Manufacture P/N:24-187367

I put a coil spring spacer in from Top Gun Customz (TGC) here's the link to there site...I called them to ask a few questions and there Customer Service was EXCELLENT!
http://www.topguncustomz.com/Store/G...view=250230797

Old 12-20-2011, 09:01 PM
jayman84
Captain

I will have to get an updated pic taken of my truck to show off the 1.5 lift from my bilsteins and also my bull bar and post here possibly tomorrow. And yes mikeyyy816 I was gonna compliment on your color also. It was my favorite at the time and my chrome accents make it look even sharper in my eye.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:54 PM
Darek117
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikeyyy816
Darek, which nut loosens? The only nut on these struts are the one that connects to the strut rod itself but that would not affect the ride height. The height is adjusted on using a retainer clip (forget the actual name of the part haha) that the OEM spring seat sits on. I personally haven't heard any issues of this yet.
I haven seen a set of self adjusts so idk how they work but a buddy was telling me about this issue a fella had with his truck. Who knows if there is any truth behind it? Maybe it was a different brand. I also want to know how is it the original CV cant seem to handle a couple inches? I could understand 4"+ but just 1" or 2". Is it really that much more strain on the the CV Axle?

Quick Reply: Bilstein 5100 DIY Install (Pic Heavy)