4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need Help ! Changed fuel pump- still hard to get started.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 10:30 PM
jeffm813
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need Help ! Changed fuel pump- still hard to get started.

Ok I have a 2011 Ram 1500 4.7L,
As a follow up from a previous post about the fuel pump.
I replaced the fuel pump with a new factory pump and I still have the same problem that seems to be getting worse.

Before if I cycled the key off then on for 5 seconds then off and another 5 seconds on- usually truck would start and run fine.
Now I have to cycle the key 5 -6 times and it might run or it runs very slow
and have to start the process of cycling the key all over again.
Now for an added HUH! some times if I cycle the key a few times then put it in natural it will start and run fine.
It use to be hard to start first thing in the morning or if it sat for at least 6 hours. now it is hard to start if it sits for more than 15 minutes.

Could really use some help on this one . ANY IDEAS??

Thanks
Jeff

Old 07-28-2013, 11:01 PM
Dodgeboy77
Veteran

usually on the fuel rail there is a "tire valve" that you can check the fuel pressure. borrow a gauge or ask a corner garage to check the pressure before you go any farther.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:15 PM
jaflowers
Professional

Warranty???? Take to dealer for diagnostic??? It's only a 2 year old truck, should not have to go through those problems without full support of dealership.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:36 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffm813
Ok I have a 2011 Ram 1500 4.7L,
As a follow up from a previous post about the fuel pump.
I replaced the fuel pump with a new factory pump and I still have the same problem that seems to be getting worse.

Before if I cycled the key off then on for 5 seconds then off and another 5 seconds on- usually truck would start and run fine.
Now I have to cycle the key 5 -6 times and it might run or it runs very slow
and have to start the process of cycling the key all over again.
Now for an added HUH! some times if I cycle the key a few times then put it in natural it will start and run fine.
It use to be hard to start first thing in the morning or if it sat for at least 6 hours. now it is hard to start if it sits for more than 15 minutes.

Could really use some help on this one . ANY IDEAS??

Thanks
Jeff
Jeff,

I would agree with Jaflowers and have to inquire about your warranty. If you would like assistance reviewing if there is any warranty on your vehicle please PM me your VIN# and I'd be happy to help assist looking into your concerns with a Dodge dealer.

It may save you time and money in the end, as they will be able to pin point your concerns.

Keep me posted, I'm here to help.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:16 PM
jeffm813
Amateur

Hi thanks to everyone for your replies.
I ended up taking my ram to the Dodge dealer, The tech that first looked at it came back after about a half hour and said the fuel pump was bad ?
I explained to him that I just replaced it 2 days before with a factory new pump, I asked him what the fuel pressure reading were he said it started out at 50 psi then dropped to 10 psi after it started. This was done outside. He never took it in to the shop at this point.

Now this is a common fuel rail and these fuel pressures should be correct.
I told him that I had the same problem before and after the pump was replaced.

He got it started and took it in side where someone (don't know if it is the same tech ) found that the TIPM was bad.

I had to bite the bullet and have them replace it. So far it starts like it should.

As far as the warranty goes I have a little over 83,000 miles on the truck.
However I feel that the TIPM should have lasted more than 2 years!!

I feel that Dodge should help out with this as I said it should have lasted more than 2 years.
My Ford explorer I had before this kept going for 13 years that I had it and 283,000 miles, all I ever put in to that truck in all those years was 4 batteries, I gave it to a family member who is still driving it with over 300,000 miles and just recently had to put on a new alternator.

Hi DodgeCACares let me know if you would still like me to PM you my Vin#
to see if anything can be done.

Thanks to all
Jeff

Old 07-30-2013, 12:57 PM
RAMULAK
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. 83,000 miles in two years? That is quite a commute....My wife drives about 35,000 a year in her job as outside sales. I thought that was a lot. But you got her beat, I guess!

Old 07-30-2013, 03:57 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow is right. I'd hate to need to pay the upkeep on a truck that required that many miles. Depending on how it is being used that could end up using something like $20K in fuel alone in those two years.

Rob

Old 07-30-2013, 11:15 PM
jaflowers
Professional

Three words........lifetime powertrain warranty........ Invest in one when you drive that many miles.

Quick Reply: Need Help ! Changed fuel pump- still hard to get started.