4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

N08 Rear End Recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 09:46 AM
NoMoreGMsForMe
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was at my dealer for service yesterday and asked about the NO8 recall , was told there were still no parts available but that they now do a pinion nut inspection , they dropped the driveshaft and put a special tool on the pinion nut then test it with a torque wrench mine tested ok as the nut never turned was told that if the nut was out of torque they would rebuild the rear end , they replaced the drive shaft and put lock tight on the bolts also my unit was built in 08. 08 and does not have the ZF axle ,I will now have peace of mind well driving now .

Old 09-14-2013, 05:59 PM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ketleone
I called the dealer the other day to check on this recall since I figured there was no way they did not get the parts yet but still no parts. This is crazy. Why did they even bother sending out the notice!
The gov`t forces them to send out a "notice" due to federal recall regulations. As long as they send you the "notice", they can take their good ole time doing anything they want about it. All they have to do is tell uncle sam that they`re workin on it... the good ole famous get out of jail free status. Even if they take the next ten years developing the fix, it meens just that, they`re "workin on it". Last step in a recall, your vehicle gets fixed finally. I had my truck done couple months ago, all they did with mine is install a pinion nut lock over the pinion nut. Ten mintues later i was back on the highway.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:13 PM
oldjeep
Champion

As I've said before. If you are freaked out about this particular problem then just peen the pinion nut. Take 10 seconds and a monkey can do it. Myself, I've got just under 90K on mine and the nut isn't going anywhere. Sounds like a pretty isolated bunch of axles that are actually having the problem.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:20 PM
jimf5
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi All:
I would like to think that a fracture to the nut causing a driveline failure and resulting in major injuries would put a priority on replacement parts being made available. But after almost 69 years on this planet I understand the meaning of "COLLATERAL DAMAGE".

What is a few million dollars in compensation compared to several million in parts cost?
JIMF5

Old 09-14-2013, 07:34 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by jimf5
Hi All:
I would like to think that a fracture to the nut causing a driveline failure and resulting in major injuries would put a priority on replacement parts being made available. But after almost 69 years on this planet I understand the meaning of "COLLATERAL DAMAGE".

What is a few million dollars in compensation compared to several million in parts cost?
JIMF5
The recall isn't for fractured nuts. It is because they didn't apply the Loctite to the nuts and some of them have vibrated off.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:16 PM
james.dean999
Default pinion nut b.s.

i too am still waiting for my dealer to get the parts, or kit, or procedure to take care of this issue on my '10. i bought this truck in order to have a large enough vehicle to haul the family and gear and kids' crap while towing my boat, my camper, my sled trailer, or my quad/cycle trailer. i am so paranoid after reading what can happen if this nut/pinion fails while driving down the freeway that i have taken to towing stuff with my 230k mi jeep and having the family take the mini van when going on trips. it is just not worth the slim chance of something going wrong to put them in harms way.i have to spend double the cost in fuel and maintainence but what else can i do? i now have a brand new truck that has spent almost a year in the garage collecting dust while chrysler continues to collect it's monthly payment and not come up with a fix? my old man is lifetime chrysler employee and i have owned nothing but since i was 14 years old but now...why can't they just have the dealers remove the pinion nuts on the units that have not loosened up and apply some loctite? that WOULD fix it if that was the real problem. i suspect there is more to it than we are being told. i asked my dealer if i could just clean up the nut and apply some green loctite (applied to already assembled parts)and he told me if i did and chrysler found out all warranty would be void. this is the kind of baloney that has me questioning my my purchasing another chryco vehicle again...

rant off...

Old 09-17-2013, 07:42 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by james.dean999
i too am still waiting for my dealer to get the parts, or kit, or procedure to take care of this issue on my '10. i bought this truck in order to have a large enough vehicle to haul the family and gear and kids' crap while towing my boat, my camper, my sled trailer, or my quad/cycle trailer. i am so paranoid after reading what can happen if this nut/pinion fails while driving down the freeway that i have taken to towing stuff with my 230k mi jeep and having the family take the mini van when going on trips. it is just not worth the slim chance of something going wrong to put them in harms way.i have to spend double the cost in fuel and maintainence but what else can i do? i now have a brand new truck that has spent almost a year in the garage collecting dust while chrysler continues to collect it's monthly payment and not come up with a fix? my old man is lifetime chrysler employee and i have owned nothing but since i was 14 years old but now...why can't they just have the dealers remove the pinion nuts on the units that have not loosened up and apply some loctite? that WOULD fix it if that was the real problem. i suspect there is more to it than we are being told. i asked my dealer if i could just clean up the nut and apply some green loctite (applied to already assembled parts)and he told me if i did and chrysler found out all warranty would be void. this is the kind of baloney that has me questioning my my purchasing another chryco vehicle again...

rant off...

1) Paragraphs, learn what they are and use them
2) You can't just remove and reinstall a pinion nut in a diff that uses a crush sleeve

Old 09-17-2013, 09:46 PM
james.dean999
Default ?

Wow! that's a helpful response.

RE: 1.) I did not realize we were in compositional writing and we would be graded...

RE: 2.) If you READ my comments about using GREEN loctite you would realize that no dis-assembly is necessary. You merely clean and degrease the part and apply to ASSEMBLED parts. I did have a typo in sentence 7 where i typed "remove pinion nut". I meant to say "clean pinion nut" as i did in sentence 10. I realize you cannot remove a pinion nut on a crush sleeve pinion without replacing it. I apologize for typing tired after a 16 hour shift, but i digress.

I would love to just "peen" the pinion nut to make sure it would stay put, but once again doing so puts you in the denied warranty coverage corner. I know because i worked in a dealer service dept all thru high school and college and saw claims kicked back for customer/independent shop repair work. A rear end is a little pricey to take the chance on. But thanks for the grammar help.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:47 AM
JohnVI
Veteran

FWIW
The service manager at my dealer is a friend of mine and said to "Bring the recalls on", as I guess the dealer gets close to $2k if they have to replace any parts (speaking from a non technical perspective). To echo what's been said, my dealer is ready and again, just waiting on Chrysler for the part. .What do you guys think, if they open things up and the axel is locked up, are the replacement parts the same, better, or worse..

Old 09-18-2013, 01:34 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by james.dean999
Wow! that's a helpful response.

RE: 1.) I did not realize we were in compositional writing and we would be graded...

RE: 2.) If you READ my comments about using GREEN loctite you would realize that no dis-assembly is necessary. You merely clean and degrease the part and apply to ASSEMBLED parts. I did have a typo in sentence 7 where i typed "remove pinion nut". I meant to say "clean pinion nut" as i did in sentence 10. I realize you cannot remove a pinion nut on a crush sleeve pinion without replacing it. I apologize for typing tired after a 16 hour shift, but i digress.

I would love to just "peen" the pinion nut to make sure it would stay put, but once again doing so puts you in the denied warranty coverage corner. I know because i worked in a dealer service dept all thru high school and college and saw claims kicked back for customer/independent shop repair work. A rear end is a little pricey to take the chance on. But thanks for the grammar help.
People who read here are mostly speed readers, as am I. Lots of pages to cover in a limited time. Don't take OldJeeps comments the wrong way....after all he did wink at you. You'll see in time we're one of the best forums in the world.

As far as the claims kicked back comment, it's so much more of a rectal exam now that we have to submit digital imaging on soo many things. They would be nuts to peen the nut.

Quick Reply: N08 Rear End Recall