4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

N08 Rear End Recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 01:18 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I took my '09 in to a dealership this morning to have this checked. They said until the parts are available (which they are not today) they are not even doing inspections.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:48 PM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
I took my '09 in to a dealership this morning to have this checked. They said until the parts are available (which they are not today) they are not even doing inspections.
I can see the dealers end of it, an inspection isnt going do anything at this point but waste everyones time. Until chrysler steps up with the parts, everythings at a stand still.

For those of you still waiting for parts, flood chrysler phone lines with calls... eventually they`ll do something hopefully, or they`re going to get awful tired of answering the phones in customer service.

Or you can call NHTSA and see what the hold up is and also report your vehicle not being fixed in ample time.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Old 09-21-2013, 09:27 AM
jimf5
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi All:
As the OP I want to thank all that replied and give an update. My worries of the rear end coming apart on the highway are over as I traded in the 09 for a new quad cab 4x4.
I will check the RAM owners web site and check VIN to see if there are any recalls for the new truck. Maybe I will have to start a new thread.

jimf5
In Nevada

Old 09-21-2013, 08:57 PM
james.dean999
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a search of the nhtsa web site for the rear end issue. it appears that some pinions were machined with undersized splines which allows the pinion nut to wander around and is causing the pinion nut to back off. the only way to fix something like this RIGHT is to replace all of the questionable parts. wanna bet they are trying to come up with another bandaid. (like the nut retainer)...

Old 09-22-2013, 05:48 PM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by james.dean999
Do a search of the nhtsa web site for the rear end issue. it appears that some pinions were machined with undersized splines which allows the pinion nut to wander around and is causing the pinion nut to back off. the only way to fix something like this RIGHT is to replace all of the questionable parts. wanna bet they are trying to come up with another bandaid. (like the nut retainer)...
Bandaids are cheaper instead of doing the right thing. Thats the way it is today... stick it with a bandaid, get`m out the door, then they`ll hope you`ll be out of warranty before it breaks, or maybe hopefully find "YOU to blame" and not do anything at all for you. To bad companies dont figure out that we as buyer`s dont go for that BS to long before finding some other place to spend our hard earned cash.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just returned form my yearly long road trip, this time it was relatively short, only 2,100 miles. While I don't worry about the pinion nut coming loose around town, I was somewhat concerned while on vacation. I drove from San Pedro, CA to Williams AZ, to Monument Valley Utah, to Telluride Colorado (look out for the speed trap just before town), to Black Canyon of the Gunisson NP, then back to Ouray, Silverton and Durango, Colorado. Proceeded to Farmington New Mexico, Gallup New Mexico, Williams AZ then home. I kept crawling under the truck every so often to look for signs of the rear end leaking as I was driving through some desolate places and did not want to be stranded with the family and dog. I must say, the specter of the rear end failing so far from home was on my mind. To put this in perspective, last year I drove to Yellowstone (towing my trailer) and in the middle of no where in Utah, the exhaust bolts broke (after they had performed the recall) and I had to alter our vacation, we had to find a dodge dealer with the parts (found one in Preston, Idaho), find a place to spend the night, change the driving route, alter reservations, etc etc, a real pain in the butt. So to say not to worry about the pinion nut coming loose is not a good answer.

I just spoke with my dealer and got the same ole answer, just drive it, we'll call you when the parts come in, there is nothing to worry about. I'm thinking of contacting the NHTSA and complain about the delay.

Last edited by Pedro Dog; 09-26-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:00 AM
blazinNC
Default NO8 Recall Fixed

I did not see a thread on this but I was just letting everyone know that I was able to finally get this recall fixed. I received an email from Chrysler on October 1st advising that the parts were in and I could take my truck to the dealer to have the retainer installed.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:16 PM
sottis
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yeah I got that letter months ago and my dealer still doesn't have the parts.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:42 AM
blazinNC

Originally Posted by sottis
yeah I got that letter months ago and my dealer still doesn't have the parts.
I think you may misunderstood, On 10/01/13 I received this email

Thank you for your patience while waiting for the part to become available for your vehicle under the N08 recall. We are pleased to inform you that the parts are now available and can be ordered by your dealer. Please contact your dealer to confirm your part is ready for installation and schedule an appointment to complete the recall.
We value your business and appreciate your understanding.

Sincerely,
Customer Care Recall Team

I had this resolved last week and this is what my invoice stated concerning the recall. " Checked pinion nut torque, pinion nut did not move, installed supplied retainer"

Old 10-07-2013, 01:08 PM
jawsdc
Veteran

i got the same letter last month but no parts at my dealer.

Quick Reply: N08 Rear End Recall