4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5 Year Lifetime Powertrain Inspections

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 12:35 AM
pil03001
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
You are correct about the axles, need to change the gear oil only for taxi, off road or frequent towing. The coolant is due at 60 months or 102k miles.

If it was me, I'd take the truck to a radiator shop and pay them to do the coolant service. After that I'd go back to the dealer and speak with the manager and demand the inspection, if they refuse, go to Chrysler.
Well I read over their description after I got home from work and they claim all my fluids (front/rear diff transfer case tranny and coolant) are low and dirty. I find this almost impossible to believe since I rarely use the 4x4 and tow occasionally. Anyone have any input? Guess I will be checking all the fluids myself my next day off

Old 02-22-2014, 11:38 AM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you've never done any of the fluids, you should do them. Even though you have some wiggle room, it's a good idea to have the maintenance done anyway. Look at it this way, if you break down and the dealer says that the fluids are dirty, they will deny the warranty repair. It's an investment for the next five years. The dealer is very expensive for most of the work but you'll get some goodwill it they do the work. I do most of my own maintenance except for the tranny.

If you don't want to pay the dealer, go to a local transmission shop for everything but the radiator and you'll probably get the transfer case, both diffs and the trans for about $500 bucks or less. The coolant flush and refill can't be more than $100.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:54 PM
1954Radio
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Limited Warranty

I would like to share my opinion about what the word limited means in lifetime limited warranty or limited lifetime warranty. For those asking about what happens when you get 300,000 miles on your truck I think you will be sol on that one, lol. I think limited means just that, they only warranty defects or malfunctions because of faulty material or assembly sort of speak. High mileage engines that go out naturally because of high mileage wear will most likely not be repaired free. Common sense tells me that you will have to pay for parts or labor....one or the other of their liking. I do not think they are going to give you a new engine at 300,000 miles or new parts for free...just my opinion of course.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:06 PM
1954Radio
Captain

Originally Posted by mike2810
Mine is not due till Feb 2014 +- 60 days. I looked at the warrenty book. It gives no information on what is going to be done. It states the inspection is free.
Guess I will find out in Jan or Feb.
Can someone please explain what he means by +60 days? My five year purchase date anniversary is March 5, 2009. So does this mean there is a 60 day grace period after the five year date of purchase to get your truck inspected?

Old 02-26-2014, 07:01 AM
iskybantilus
Professional

yes, it means you can bring it in up to 60 days before or 60 days after your 5 year anniversary date, so roughly january 5 to may 5 2014 is your window of time to get the inspection done.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:22 AM
jawsdc
Veteran

Originally Posted by 1954Radio
I would like to share my opinion about what the word limited means in lifetime limited warranty or limited lifetime warranty. For those asking about what happens when you get 300,000 miles on your truck I think you will be sol on that one, lol. I think limited means just that, they only warranty defects or malfunctions because of faulty material or assembly sort of speak. High mileage engines that go out naturally because of high mileage wear will most likely not be repaired free. Common sense tells me that you will have to pay for parts or labor....one or the other of their liking. I do not think they are going to give you a new engine at 300,000 miles or new parts for free...just my opinion of course.
The "limited" portion of the contract deals with the repair value exceeding the value of the truck. If your repair costs more than the trucks worth they have the option of voiding the contract and cutting you a check for the established value.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:18 PM
1954Radio
Captain

Originally Posted by iskybantilus
yes, it means you can bring it in up to 60 days before or 60 days after your 5 year anniversary date, so roughly january 5 to may 5 2014 is your window of time to get the inspection done.
Thanks for the info. I called my dealer yesterday and couldn't get a straight answer from anyone.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:32 PM
1954Radio
Captain

Originally Posted by jawsdc
The "limited" portion of the contract deals with the repair value exceeding the value of the truck. If your repair costs more than the trucks worth they have the option of voiding the contract and cutting you a check for the established value.
I saw that mentioned earlier in this thread but with all do respect I don't think they will do that. Some people put 300,000 miles on a truck in two years if they drive or transport for a living. That could wear any engine internal parts down to zero and eventually fail. With all do respect I don't think they would give someone a check for the value of their 2 year old truck with high mileage. Is this limited warranty as you say in writing somewhere? If that's the case one would have to be an idiot to get rid of their 2009 truck. Good thing that I plan on keeping my 09 for as long as I can. Anyway, when I bought my truck I was told exactly what I quoted but I could have been told wrong. Or it could have been a democrat that sold me my truck and he simply just misspoken, lol.

The following users liked this post:
qicvick (10-29-2019)
Old 02-26-2014, 04:55 PM
mike2810
Captain

G. Inspections
In order to maintain the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty, the person or entity covered by this Powertrain Limited Warranty must have a powertrain inspection performed by an authorized Chrysler, Dodge, or Jeep dealer once every 5 years. This inspection will be
performed at no charge.

The inspection must be made within sixty (60) days of each 5 year anniversary of the
in-service date of the vehicle. You must have the inspection performed to continue this coverage.

For your convenience, powertrain inspection logs have been provided. You should use these logs tokeep track of each 5 year powertrain inspection interval.

The above is quoted from my 09 Manual. To be on the safe side I basically look at it as 30 days on either side of the in service (day I bought the truck).

Old 02-27-2014, 10:28 AM
iskybantilus
Professional

Originally Posted by 1954Radio
Thanks for the info. I called my dealer yesterday and couldn't get a straight answer from anyone.
just to update, i looked at my book at it says within 60 days, so that would mean 30 days before or 30 days after. i was responding earlier to someone who said it was +/- 60 days. i wouldnt take a chance and would bring it in as close as possible.

in response to your other statements about replacing a high mileage engine and such that is worn from age and use i am also curious to see how they will hold up over time. the factory powertrain warranty does not list any exclusions, however my lifetime maximum care add on warranty does have the disclaimer buried in it "the plan will not cover, or apply to loss or expense resulting from: ....Repairs required as a result of other than a manufacturing defect (such as a design defect or normal wear);"

with that said i think that they are also gambling that not many original owners will keep the trucks, keep up with all maintenance, and perform the 5 year inspections. hopefully in the name of good customer service they will make good on the few who do hold onto the trucks that long.

Quick Reply: 5 Year Lifetime Powertrain Inspections