4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2015 Ram rust & flaking paint on pinch weld

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 04:16 PM
moze229
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just keeping the thread going guys.

Here's one for you. Truck build = 4/11/2015. Mileage = 323. Crew cab driver's side rear corner. Was crawling under there to attach my step bars and this is what I saw.

2015 Ram rust & flaking paint on pinch weld-img_1055.jpg

The rust problems on these trucks seems to fall in line with the lower areas of the body, suggesting that this is because they know that most will not see it. My case looks like a pinch weld that didn't get pinched all the way. Not really sure how to fix this. I'm sure Chrysler will do nothing about it.

I have other areas of paint issues that I'll post pictures of later. They are not rust related, but involve trash in the paint and clear coat bubbling. I'm currently gathering my data to keep all of my ducks in a row. Once I get to the dealer about this and find out that they will do nothing about fixing the problems (I'm going to give them a chance) then the fun will begin. I'll post a new thread when that happens.

I just sold a 2001 and had ZERO problems with the paint on that truck. The top all the way down to the rocker panels was a nice, thick layer of two-stage paint, like there's supposed to be. Manufacturers now seem to be blaming the new water-based requirements of the paint, but I think this just all comes down to cutting corners to compete. Warranties are longer and the interiors are nicer, so they have to cut the budget somewhere.

We need to get a sticky out there and make it COMMON KNOWLEDGE to take these trucks to a certified body shop and have them look over the entire painted panels and possible problem areas BEFORE purchasing. It's a shame too, because they have the best looking trucks. The 2nd gens they stuck everyone with KNOWN plenum issues and reprogrammed the computer to run the vehicle at unadvertised specs, now they can't get the paint right. Not a good company. I'm sorry to say this, but maybe instead of bailing these guys out a few years ago (All of them, not just Chrysler) we should have just let them fall and be rebuilt into what the companies should be. I feel ashamed that it's no longer prideful to have an American vehicle.

No more Rams for me. Period. I'm done.

Last edited by moze229; 08-23-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:26 PM
dwaldmann
Professional

Originally Posted by moze229
No more Rams for me. Period. I'm done.
Have you driven a GM, lately? You'll be running back to Ram, let me tell you.

I'd rather have a truck that functions pretty darn well for a few years, than one that functions like junk for 5 decades.

No comment on Frods, never had one, don't plan to.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:52 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dwaldmann
Have you driven a GM, lately? You'll be running back to Ram, let me tell you.

I'd rather have a truck that functions pretty darn well for a few years, than one that functions like junk for 5 decades.

No comment on Frods, never had one, don't plan to.

They're all the same and it's not just the American makes. I've been in and out of the restoration/parts/mods part of the industry over the last 30 years and ain't one much better than the other. It's all about cutting cost & maximizing profits so upper management can be paid their ridiculous salaries. Not uncommon for upper level officers to make over $100 million salary and stock options.

It seems every maker feeds off the other in what they can get away with. My '04 had perfect paint and with a little elbow grease about 4-6 times a year, you could shave off the reflection of the paint when I sold it last year. In '08 my buddy's '05 Ford had peeling clear and faded paint all over it. Lived 2 miles from me in south Georgia, both trucks outside 24/7. In 2012 I was seeing some '09 Rams pretty rough paint and rust problems. Hell, my old man has a 2001 1500, lives in a winter salt state and is just now showing rust in the usual places.

Hell, they even following suit on warranty. Ford goes to 5/60, so within 2 years GM reduces from 5/100 and now FCA announces reduction from 5/100 to 5/60 powertrain!

I know guys are saying "never a Ram again", but because I was management at a restoration company, I'm on all forums and there are just as many GM and Ford guys saying the same thing...

Old 08-26-2015, 10:44 AM
moze229
Rookie

I was likely a little harsh that day when I made my last post, and I shouldn't have said what I did. I definitely don't want any companies to go under, especially American vehicle companies. That's only going to hurt those who have no say in the decisions made at these companies. I don't want anyone to go hungry or be without work to take care of their kids.

But, I guess I'm just not happy with what I'm seeing here. If they are all the same, then we are pretty much screwed. If there's no one stepping up the game to make competition tougher, then that's it. I don't have a problem paying $45,000 for a truck that I like. I could've spent $25,000 and got a truck, but it wouldn't have been one that I wanted. Me being someone who knows that any vehicle is the worst investment on the planet, since I'm at a point in my life where I can do nice things sometimes, I thought I'd by myself what I wanted. I don't do it often. My wife MADE me buy a newer truck (via nagging) because my 2001, with no problems, with NO PAINT FLAWS, was getting "old". Whatever.

I crawl under my truck and see what I did, and it just infuriates me. Why should I have to crawl under a brand new truck to inspect it before I buy it? Not acceptable.

I'm not keeping vehicles 15 years anymore. It's the smart thing to do if there's nothing wrong with it, but life's just too short to stick with vehicles that long. (In my opinion.) I'll keep this one for 6-8, then move on. Next time, no matter what manufacturer I go with, I'll just pad body work and paint into the price of the vehicle. Which means I'll be spending less.

Way to go auto manufacturers.

My wife buys BMWs. They don't have these problems. They have small problems here and there, but not crap like this. You know why? Because BMW has a least some pride in the products they are producing. You can tell when you open the car door and get in it that someone was proud of the design. They use quality paint procedures. Even the dealers are better to work with. It's just a different environment and culture. And overall, BMWs really don't cost all that much more than other vehicles! It's just a perception. Too bad they don't make trucks.

Hell, they even following suit on warranty. Ford goes to 5/60, so within 2 years GM reduces from 5/100 and now FCA announces reduction from 5/100 to 5/60 powertrain!
Leapfrog is the name of the game. And you are correct. There are too many high paid people walking around with a piece of paper and acting like they are working all day.

[Off topic]Reminds me of Hollywood and the Actor's Guild. The reason it costs so much to make movies and shows isn't because of the cast. It's bloated staff that gets stuffed onto the credit list because they are "next in line" to get a job. Fifteen different types of producers, fifteen different writers, coffee fetchers, floor sweepers, etc. etc. And for all that, a 30 minute time slot is filled with 19 minutes of show and 11 minutes of advertising.[/Off topic]

Old 08-26-2015, 05:40 PM
dwaldmann
Professional

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
They're all the same...
As far as quality, I think I probably agree.

However, as far as features, performance and driveability, I sold my 2014 GMC with less than 5k miles on it so I could buy a Ram.

Maybe in 2500s and bigger there is less difference, but for a 1500, GM can't touch a Ram in performance. I didn't consider a Ford, because their mid-size cab doesn't have a true 4 door.

Granted, I haven't had any trouble with my Ram, but it would take a LOT to push me back to GM.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:28 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt.fefe
i just purchased a 2015 ram 1500 special edition blacked out And I just noticed I have rust problems as well. I called the dealer and the salesman who I purchased the vehicle from told me all their vehicles are like that.

These locations you took pictures of, the driveshaft, cab mounts, and counterweight stablizer, are meant to "rust". Look up weathering steel. Its an alloy that forms a patina which acts as a protectant.

As for the pinch welds, that's a bit crazy. The paint is defective for sure. I mean they will be the spot where corrosion begins because of the stresses in the steel, but they shouldnt be showing this on a fresh truck.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:30 AM
Jsboening

Maybe the best thing to do with these pinch welds is cover them with a piece of weather striping or something to protect the paint from stone chips. It's inevitable that the paint is going to get chipped off down there. Maybe some 3M paint protection or the like. Its too bad you have to deal with this on your brand new truck, but the first thing I do when I buy a new vehicle is protect the obvious stone impact points with plastic paint protection. I buy a giant roll of it from my local sign company and go to town with it. Here are some photos off my Grand Cherokee's rocker panels. I cut some clear plastic to protect the paint from shoe scuffs and my kids backpacks. The film is barely visible unless you look very close. I also use it to protect the paint under the mud flaps on my Chevy pickup. It has held up well for the past 6 years without rubbing through.

A lot of this stuff could be dealt with at the factory, but unfortunately the masses don't complain.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:01 PM
kmgrubbswvu
Default Pinch weld issues too!

im having the exact same issue now. Hopefull that Chrysler will do the right thing here. I've had the Ram 1500 for one week.

Originally Posted by RamRust
I purchased my Ram 1500 on Jan 30th 2015. 2 weeks ago I noticed it had a rust spot and paint flaking on the passenger side pinch weld. The dealership (Fields Chrysler Sanford Fla.) and Chrysler corp. will not repair until it becomes "a rust hole" They claim it is from a rock chip. I found several other new trucks on the lot with the same issue. I have photos and video at www.ramtruckproblems.com
I would like other potential buyers and new owners to be aware of this manufacturing defect.

I'm having the exact same pinch weld issue with a brand new Ram. Noticed it the day after purchase, about 100 miles on the truck. Have had photos taken at the dealership the following week and awaiting a response from Chrysler now. Hopeful this won't be a huge fight to cover.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:49 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pictures Ive seen in this thread on the rust, doesn't look like a paint issue.
Even the video is the same thing.

It looks more of a trim issue. It looks like the plastic guard is wearing thru the paint, water gets in and rusts and then its flaking off. Seen it hundreds of times on anything with trim that wears into the paint, especially here, since we use lots of salt in winter.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:23 AM
kmgrubbswvu

Originally Posted by Reject
The pictures Ive seen in this thread on the rust, doesn't look like a paint issue.
Even the video is the same thing.

It looks more of a trim issue. It looks like the plastic guard is wearing thru the paint, water gets in and rusts and then its flaking off. Seen it hundreds of times on anything with trim that wears into the paint, especially here, since we use lots of salt in winter.
I would agree and say your correct except the other side had a small rust spot pretty far away from the plastic. I know some may say this is from a rock chip but again, had the truck for a day before rust was noticed.

On a separate note I had some paint bubbles in the door jam as well that they are reviewing. Fun times!

Quick Reply: 2015 Ram rust & flaking paint on pinch weld