4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can we read the check engine codes without a code scanner on a 2012 Ram 2500?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 02:46 PM
TrailBlogger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Thanks for following through with an update! I'm happy to hear they got it taken care of quickly for you.
To continue my story where I had left off, the check engine light came back on again a day later so I sent it back down to the Dodge dealer again.

This time they found out the fuel tank actually had a crack in it which is why the truck was throwing a check engine light due to vapor loss.

The tank somehow got cracked when the previous owner had a 5th wheel hitch installed in the bed. So this time they replaced my fuel tank with a brand new one but then they told me not to use the 5th wheel hitch mount ever again because it was "unsafe". When I got the truck back I noticed one of the mounting nuts wasn't even reinstalled. So now I have a truck with a 5th wheel mount in the back I can't use. At least the check engine light hasnt come back yet ...

On top of having a worthless 5th wheel hitch mount I can't use now I am also about 99% sure this truck has a header exhaust leak. I have a ticking, whistling sound coming from the front of the truck that I can hear when I have the windows down and it is under load like going up a hill.

Anyone else have that kind of a noise coming from their Hemi 5.7L on a 2012 Ram 2500?

Considering taking it back to the dealer a third time or having a mechanic look at it because the whistling/ticking is driving me crazy. I can hear it every time I accelerate and have the window down.

Last edited by TrailBlogger; 09-15-2015 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:12 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TrailBlogger
To continue my story where I had left off, the check engine light came back on again a day later so I sent it back down to the Dodge dealer again.

This time they found out the fuel tank actually had a crack in it which is why the truck was throwing a check engine light due to vapor loss.

The tank somehow got cracked when the previous owner had a 5th wheel hitch installed in the bed. So this time they replaced my fuel tank with a brand new one but then they told me not to use the 5th wheel hitch mount ever again because it was "unsafe". When I got the truck back I noticed one of the mounting nuts wasn't even reinstalled. So now I have a truck with a 5th wheel mount in the back I can't use. At least the check engine light hasnt come back yet ...

On top of having a worthless 5th wheel hitch mount I can't use now I am also about 99% sure this truck has a header exhaust leak. I have a ticking, whistling sound coming from the front of the truck that I can hear when I have the windows down and it is under load like going up a hill.

Anyone else have that kind of a noise coming from their Hemi 5.7L on a 2012 Ram 2500?

Considering taking it back to the dealer a third time or having a mechanic look at it because the whistling/ticking is driving me crazy. I can hear it every time I accelerate and have the window down.
I'm sorry to hear this, TrailBlogger, but, like you said, it is good that the CEL is off. Were you hearing this noise prior to the fuel tank repair?

Old 08-27-2015, 09:28 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The sound could be one of two things. Does the truck have a CAI? Often when you lose the plastic "Hemi Hat" (baffle), you'll hear the EGR opening and closing. You wouldn't believe how many guys run back to a shop after having a CAI put on thinking the install was screwed when it's just the EGR that the plastic baffle was made to silence...

OR

You've got sheared exhaust manifold bolt(s)...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-27-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:08 AM
TrailBlogger

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
I'm sorry to hear this, TrailBlogger, but, like you said, it is good that the CEL is off. Were you hearing this noise prior to the fuel tank repair?
Yes. Truck has made this hiss, ticking sound from day 1. I did not notice it during the test drive because the windows were up.

A few years ago I replaced the exhaust manifold on a 2005 Dakota that had busted manifold studs and it was making a pretty similar sound. I was told the hemis "just sound like that" but i am not convinced. Need to take some time to examine it closer but i am currently in the process of moving this week. I might mount my gopro under the hood so you all can hear it too.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:14 AM
TrailBlogger

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
The sound could be one of two things. Does the truck have a CAI? Often when you lose the plastic "Hemi Hat" (baffle), you'll hear the EGR opening and closing. You wouldn't believe how many guys run back to a shop after having a CAI put on thinking the install was screwed when it's just the EGR that the plastic baffle was made to silence...

OR

You've got sheared exhaust manifold bolt(s)...
Appreciate the tips. I am going to have to look up CAI. Not familiar with that. Truck looks pretty stock besides the messed up 5th wheel connection.

Found out at the last minute during the buying process that it was a rental truck in a previous life. I am thinking someone got it stuck at one point (its a 2wd) and then overheated the engine trying to get it out. I see a lot of mud on the underside they missed at the dealer which would confirm this theory.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:56 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

CAI = Cold Air Intake.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:59 AM
TrailBlogger

CAI = Cold Air Intake.
Oh that. Thanks.

No the air box appears to be the stock one.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:45 PM
TrailBlogger

watching some of the gopro videos I just recorded and although its hard to make out in the video it is definitely louder on the passenger side of the truck.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:18 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Rear two manifold bolts on passenger side are typically the first to shear the heads off...

Old 08-27-2015, 07:04 PM
TrailBlogger

Rear two manifold bolts on passenger side are typically the first to shear the heads off...
Thanks for the info. That seems to be the side making the sound.
Here is the video from the gopro I had riding on the airbox looking down towards the header.

Quick Reply: Can we read the check engine codes without a code scanner on a 2012 Ram 2500?