4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hard start after sitting for a couple hours

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2022, 04:21 PM
Niakon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard start after sitting for a couple hours

2014 ram 1500 3.6l
Truck has to crank hard after it sits for about 2-4 hours, but if it sits overnight it starts fine. Pretty sure gas is draining back out of the fuel line. Just changed my fuel pump out(had a bad ethanol sensor) thinking the check valve in it was shot. Had this same problem before I changed the pump out. Was hoping that would fix both issues. Only thing I can thing to change is my fuel injector pressure sensor, or vapour sensor maybe cause a vacuum in the tank. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

edit I have already changed out fuel injectors

Last edited by Niakon; 12-04-2022 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-04-2022, 07:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Is it hard to roll the motor over? Or long crank time when heat soaked?

Old 12-04-2022, 08:02 PM
Niakon

Long crank time and sputters during start up, while the engine is still warm. Sound and feels like there is no fuel in the line. But once it starts it run just fine.

Was doing some research on fuel vaporization. Then realized that about a year ago I changed out the oil cooler and left the foam piece out that goes between the upper and lower intake. I am now wondering if that also keeps the heat from cooking the fuel line near the engine.

Old 12-04-2022, 08:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Fuel vaporization is a lot less of an issue on a fuel injected engine. Fuel pressure is somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 to 50 PSI, so, any air in the system gets purged right quick. If it were a check valve problem, you would certainly see the issue after the truck sat overnight..... Try cycling the key twice (not starting on the first try) and see if that doesn't improve anything at all. If the issue persists, it probably isn't a fuel system issue. More likely a sensor that is mis-reading.

Old 12-04-2022, 09:17 PM
Niakon

Thanks for the info I am leaning more toward the fuel injector pressure sensor. Will probably change that one out and see.

Old 06-26-2024, 03:00 PM
jus43438

Did you ever get it sorted?? I'm having similar issues!

Old 06-27-2024, 09:06 AM
Niakon

Originally Posted by jus43438
Did you ever get it sorted?? I'm having similar issues!
No I never did get it sorted. We have just learned to live with it for now. One thing I did notice was that when it is hard cranking the butterfly valve in the throttle body slams totally shut. Tried the throttle relearn sequence with the key and that didn’t do anything. Will need to get a computer hooked up and do a proper relearn to see if that works. Otherwise have not really figured anything else out.

Quick Reply: Hard start after sitting for a couple hours