Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Wiring By The Book Trouble.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 08:52 PM
Dodgeboy328
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring By The Book Trouble.

I know I've just about beat this forum to death with my problems and here I go yet again. I have a 4-channel amp and two 10"s. I have had a lot of trouble with the wiring. At first I used the wiring setup in my Rockford amp manual. It's the one that is supposed to give me the most power to my subs (bridged for 225W+ per sub). The book says run RCA's to the front amp input, set the amp to 2 channel mode, and bridge each sub ( one to the front terminal and one to the rear terminal). I do everything by the book and it sounds terrible. The subs are out of sync with one another and no matter how you adjust them they just sound BAD. But when I wire everthing up like my friend suggested they sound really good. What he does is pretty much the same thing the book says, he just twists both the positives together and both the negatives together and bridges them to the front terminals. When it's wired like that both subs are in sync and they hit pretty good, but when you run them with rap it throws the amp into protection mode. I hate that. I don't understand why the book setup does not work like it should. I got the idea to run two y-splitters to split my one set of RCA's and make them two pair. Then run one to the front and one to the rear amp inputs and see what happens when I wire it up like the Rockford manual says. I can't test this idea until the splitters come in at about the end of the week. Anybody have any idea why the Rockford setup won't work right. Thanks.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:07 PM
marionso14
Professional
Default RE: Wiring By The Book Trouble.

first can the subs handle the power the amp is pushing?

your RCA should go from the rear output (or Sub Out if there is one), to the input on th amp. if you are bridging the subs, twist both positives and negatives together and hook them to the left positve and right negative. also what ohm load is your speakers? is the the amp rated for that?

Old 10-10-2007, 05:07 PM
Dodgeboy328
Veteran

The subs should be able to handle the power. Their RMS is 250 watts and their max is 500 watts. They are 4 ohm speakers and the amp is rated for them. The RCA's are run like you said and the way you said to bridge them is the same way my friend said to. It's all bridged to the front terminals and there is nothing running to the rear. Do you have any idea why the Rockford wiring setup won't work right?

Old 10-10-2007, 05:29 PM
marionso14
Professional

the front terminals??? meaning they are dual voice coil? you have four terminals on the speaker? click this link and look at the two speaker 4ohm setup

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...S&p_status=

Old 10-10-2007, 07:59 PM
Dodgeboy328
Veteran

No. They're not DVC's. I meant the front speaker terminals on the amp. I'm sorry if I confused you.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:17 PM
marionso14
Professional

what model amp do you have? that would help alot

Old 10-10-2007, 09:23 PM
Dodgeboy328
Veteran

A Rockford Fosgate Punch 450 watt 4-channel. The birthsheet says that it was made in February of this year, max power is 1845 watts, 60 watts RMS per channel, and 225 watts RMS bridged. I got it because it was on sale and I've always heard that Rockford amps put out a good bit more than they're supposed to.

Trending Topics

Old 10-10-2007, 11:25 PM
TBarCYa
Rookie

When wiring up by the book, did you try changing the polarity on one of the subs? If the subs are wired out of phase, it will sound like crap as the sound waves cancel each other out.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:26 AM
marionso14
Professional

ok ive been readin your original post a little more. the rear terminals on your amp wont work without RCAs hook up to the rear input on the amp so after your Ycables get in that should work. to have something goin out, you must have somethin comin in, also make sure your filter is set on low pass on both front and rear.try that and let me know what happens.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Dodgeboy328
Veteran

Got my connectors in today. Hooked them up to the front and rear amp inputs and used the Rockford Fosgate wiring setup. It fixed everything. Man did it fix it. The subs sound great and they are hitting harder than they ever have while I've had them. They are in sync and are deffinetly getting the proper power to them now. My dome light dims out with the bass now and I'm glad I put in a capacitor. Plus I have terrible vibrations coming off the back of the cab. Thanks a lot guys and hopefully this will be the last time I come to you with a sub problem.

Quick Reply: Wiring By The Book Trouble.