Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Santa Came and this project has begun (pics)!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 02:19 PM
92GreenYJ
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Santa Came and I need some inspiration

well I love the look of the recessed amp rack for one. for two i plan to run with the back seat up most of the time unless i have passengers or am parked. then the back seat will hide the system well. Also, I don't want my amp mounted under the front seats, I already have my 4 channel under the drivers side seat and I'm not thrilled with how it looks. I might build a small rack for that too with the leftover wood to clean things up a bit. Oh and I will definitely post pics. this things gonna be sweet when I'm done. I hope to get started on it wed or thursday

Old 01-01-2008, 01:05 PM
nineball
Rookie

i don't know your level of woodworking skills, but you should definately read this thread:

http://fiberglassforums.com/showthread.php?t=4117

i think that will give you some good insight. the guy who posted it does some freaking amazing work. since you are trying to squeeze out all the airspace you can you shold really consider fiberglass.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:47 PM
92GreenYJ
Professional

ok, finally got a chance to start building this thing. gonna take me at least another two weeks to finish as i only get two days off a week, but the weather was nice and I got the easier parts done today. the tricky bit is going to be doing the bottom, but I managed to knock out the front panel, top, back, and the recessed amp rack today.

Specs:
1/2" MDF
1" 16 gauge nails (nail gun of course)
Plenty of Silicone sealant.
ram head windows will be backed with Lexan.

Now onto the pics:
First thing was first, making my ram head logos. a quick google image search got me a logo, some quick tooling with my printer settings gave me the sizes i needed for my patterns for my three ram head logos. the center being a raised logo, the two sides being windows into the box. Thankfully when i was at Home Depot i found a cool little attatchement for my Dremel that spared me the cost of buying a rotozip.
So first I cut my raised logo out of 1/2" MDF and placed it. its held in place with gorilla glue and nails. then i layed out my windows.

then i put a sanding wheel on the dremel and rounded out my raised logo

camera battery died at this point so i dont have anymore construction pics to this point. just some shots of what i have so far. Unfortunately i must admit i somehow screwed up my calculations and my logo windows are not centered over the speaker magnets like i wanted, but i don't want to re-do the front panel so i guess i'll live with it. the amp rack is recessed 2"s into the box.

and UPS finally showed up with my parts express order. Carpet, 4awg power cable, 3M 77 spray adhesive and a few other odds and ends not necessarily for this project

so, questions? thoughts? comments? concerns?

Old 01-25-2008, 03:19 PM
92GreenYJ
Professional

Sorry I haven't updated this thread in a while but between work, the weather, and the girlfriend I haven't had a ton of time to work on this project lately. However I have managed to complete the box and carpet it. I am very happy with the way it came out for the most part however that being said, If I had it to do over again I would have just bought a pre fab box and modified it as this is one of the most complicated sub boxes I have ever built. Doing the contours for the floor was a royal PITA and i had to modify and re-do many components and frankly it still doesn't fit quite the way i would like it to. I ended up having to raise the seat which I didn't want to do but I had no choice. I think I'm gonna have to take the back seat to an upholstery shop and have them lower a section of the seat in the middle so the slider is fully exposed. Still doesn't fix the issue that my head touches the roof if im in the backseat though. thankfully I don't carry passengers often so its not the end of the world.

Anyway, enough talk, onto the pics
first the finished and carpeted box with the components test fitted sitting on horses in the garage:

the raised Ram Logo came out great! it was a pain to do the carpeting over it but overall I like it. Unfortunately I had to cut the carpet out completely around the ram head windows. the holes were to small and fine for me to be able to just cut out the window sections. think I'm gonna try to paint the exposed wood gray so it blends with the carpet better.

Now the box in the truck with the speakers installed

the rockford fosgate distribution block installed on the side of the box with the 8 gauge pheonix gold power wires run for the Sub Amp and the 1.5 Farad Capacitor

and with the seat loosely placed on top of the box. this is where I'm gonna have some issues. Looks like i will need to extend the metal slats on the back that hold the back up and I'm gonna have to figure out a good way to make some kind of riser for the actual seat brackets. thankfully IU'm no stranger to metal fab, but if anyone has pics of brackets they have made for this purpose that would really help me out.

Well all thats left now is to tear the dash apart, run RCAs from the head unit to the amp, run the Monster 4 gauge primary power cable, do the ground wires, re-mount the 4 channel amp under the center console, re-do the wiring on that, figure out where i can install a switch for the kill on the sub amp remote, wire the sub amp bass level control, wire up a switch for the red neos inside the sub box, basically a ton of wiring.

So, questions, comments, thoughts?

Old 01-28-2008, 03:18 PM
habeba86
Record Breaker

Looks like a fun build. Keep up the good work!

Old 01-28-2008, 03:45 PM
92GreenYJ
Professional

actually its been frustrating and a bit of a PITA but overall i'm happy with it. I'm hoping the weather will break by Wed so I can finish wiring up the system and get it tuned in. still have to relocate my Clarion 4 channel and run new speaker wires to the door speakers and wire up the sub amp and cap. run the RCAs, find a place to and install some switches for the sub amp kill switch and the power on for the red neons inside the sub box. May add a few more red neons too, not sure yet. I'll try and get some better shots wed when im wiring it all up. i think somethings wrong with my camera

Quick Reply: Santa Came and this project has begun (pics)!!!