Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Santa Came and this project has begun (pics)!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 06:28 PM
92GreenYJ
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Santa Came and this project has begun (pics)!!!

Hey all. So I decided it was time to put a decent system in my 98 Ram 1500 Quad Cab. Now I already have a JVC KD-PDR30 head unit, not the best I know but its got 2 preamp outs and integrated iPod controls which I am loving. I also have a pair of Eclipse speakers in the rear doors, a pair of 3 way Pioneer 6x9s in the front doors running off a Clarion 4 channel amp. (model and wattage escape me at the moment. Got it from a buddy) these all sound good but I miss my Bass! So I was out and about today and landed at Circuit City where they were apparently still having a buy one get one free deal on Kicker C12s, so I of course grabbed a pair and a Kicker ZX300.1 to power them. Now I'm planning to run the subs in Parrallel to cut the impedence in half for more input power from the amp. So heres the goods Santa (aka Xmas money) got me today.

Pics of my custom sub box at the bottom of the page

Old 12-27-2007, 03:10 PM
92GreenYJ
Professional
Default RE: Santa Came and I need some inspiration

So can anyone tell me how good subs sound firing up in this type of application? After doing some research it seems alot of guys are running their subs in that configuration. I'm trying to get my box design figured out and drawn up so I can gt an idea of wat i'm gonna need for materials. Should be pretty trick when I'm done. I'm planning to cut out dual ram head logos on the front of the box with plexi behind them and do red LEDs inside the box. Gonna do a recess mount with the amp in the center and probably use a red led computer fan to keep air flowing over it.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:54 PM
oglejust
Rookie

dont do downfiring.... what u do is recess the sub(s) in. just make a 2nd baffle that fits over the sub so it sits in. ill make something on google sketchup for u so u can see what i mean.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:06 PM
oglejust
Rookie

like this, just make ur sub cutout then u measure or look on the website the diameter of the whole sub and then add 1/8in to that so u have a little play.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:10 PM
oglejust
Rookie

btw ull probably want to do the recess thing like i said but go sub up. if your going sealed put 1.5cuft of air per sub. i doubt u can fit 2 12's ported

Old 12-28-2007, 04:32 PM
92GreenYJ
Professional

well after some more research, measuring, and calculations I think I know what I plan to do. I will go with the subs firing up, box will be 3/4" MDF as usual but its probably going to be the most challenging box I have ever built as the bottom will have to follow the contours of the floor and comprise of multiple panels. Now the airspace for just the outside dimensions of the box i plan to build without figuring in custom contours, bracing and the recessed amp rack will be a little over 2.5 cu ft. my Kickers need a minimum of 1.25 cu ft and a max of 3.5 cu ft so I should be right around the minimum requirements by the time i am done if i don't split the box into two halves. doing two seperate chambers I won't be able to get the air space I need I don't think. Should be pretty bad *** when its done if i can pull it off.

Plan is to have the 12s firing up, the amp recessed and flushed in the top of the box in the center. Might try and do a raised ram head logo or two on the top of the box. then on the front side of the box I am going to cut out two ram head logo windows backed with plexi so you can see into the box. probably light the inside with red LEDs. Also gonna use a red LED computer fan flushed into the box to keep air flowing over the amp and cap.

Now its just a matter of waiting for materials I ordered to come in, go buy a bunch of MDF and a few days off so I can get to work on it

Old 12-28-2007, 07:45 PM
oglejust
Rookie

your best bet would be to make it a single chamber sealed w/ 3 cuft total, thats 1.5 per sub which is perfect for those subs. i would do something like this

Trending Topics

Old 12-28-2007, 07:46 PM
oglejust
Rookie

^^^ that will make it stradle the center piece in the truck body

Old 12-29-2007, 03:56 AM
92GreenYJ
Professional

well If i use 1/2" MDF I can just squeeze 3.2 cu ft out of the area i have to work with, again this is not figuring for bracing and my recessed amp rack. with the biggest box I can possibly build to fit under the seat I can get 3.26 cu ft out of it and again thats with 1/2" MDF. so with 1/2" I can do it and be able to run two sealed chambers and i should land right around 1.5 cu ft per sub. problem is if i use 3/4" i can only get a max of 2.86 cu ft out of the space. I really don't want to have to raise the back seat if i can avoid it. So I may end up using 1/2" MDF which i have done on a few occassions before

Old 12-31-2007, 10:04 AM
oglejust
Rookie

yeah but ull have more w/o the recessed amp. the box is going to be under the seat right? y do u want the amp recessed if no1 can see it anyway? just so its tucked away w/ the box? btw u could get by w/ 1/2in mdf. btw dont forget to post some pix when ur dun.

Quick Reply: Santa Came and this project has begun (pics)!!!