Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

in dash dvd pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 12:27 AM
jake7
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's just that the ones with navigation that are actually descent are pretty pricey

Old 05-10-2010, 08:16 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I have watched lots of Pioneer AVIC 700 and 900 models sell for anywhere from 150-300. Those have Navi and play DVDs and are DD HUs. They have BT and iPod and Sat and HD radio, USB/SD and everything else.

They good thing I like about the newer ones is that the SD card slot is on the front. So you can go in the house, dump some music on the card, go out to the truck and plug it in and never have to handle a CD.

The bad thing about a flip out is it is constantly going in and out as you use it and turn on the HU or ignition. That always worries me as something that would wear out and cost too much to repair.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:07 AM
nateroach
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with weed. If you go DVD/NAV get a fixed screen unit. The fewer moving parts, the fewer mechanical failures.

It may not be comparable, but I had an older kenwood HU that had a single din flip out face and after a couple years the ribbon cable connecting the display to the HU motherboard shots craps on me and the screen stopped working.

nateroach

Quick Reply: in dash dvd pros and cons