Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

radio/speaker install.....i know i know, it's been covered

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 05:59 PM
jake7
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio/speaker install.....i know i know, it's been covered

I've looked around using the search button but I still have a few questions I am trying to get answered so I'm hoping this will help.

I have/had the infinity system. I just put in a new HU with a steering wheel adapter so i can still use controls. I have heard the infinity system has a built in amp. How do I get to it behind the glovebox? I am wanting to put new front and rear speakers in along with dash speakers. Do i need a certain kind bc of the infinity system? 6x9 in the front? 5x __ in the rear? 5 1/4 dash?

If i put new speakers in do I need to do something with the infinity amp? Does anyone have pictures of it? Maybe wiring they did using it or by passing it?

I am also installing 2 12's under the rear seat along with an amp (under driver seat?) The guy before me had a system so the wiring is already there...hopefully. Anything I should be aware of..tips?

Thanks

Old 07-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Bigbody
Professional

6x9 front door 6 1/2 rear 2 1/2 in dash, i have infinity reference in my truck sounds great but you can go with any kind of speakers you would like, the amp may already be bypassed if there was a after market radio in the truck, most factory style amp wont work with aftermarket stereos but i'm not a expert so i could be wrong, just be careful as to what you buy cause some 6x9 will not fit in the front doors due to the magnet size

Old 07-05-2010, 07:41 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

You can swap out for aftermarket speakers and utilize the OEM amps, but they will not sound as good as if you were to use your own aftermarket amps. You should have no problems swapping speakers out and running them with the existing wiring. I would try swapping speakers first to try and save money.

I would look into Crutchfield for speaker choices as they have great info. Just be sure to shop around first as you will likely find better deals elsewhere. if the prices are very close, go with Crutchfield as they have top noth service and give all needed speaker adapters and mounting rings you would need to get the job done. Again, only if the prices are comparable which usually isn't the case with them.

When looking for replacement speakers you don't want a speaker that requires high wattage to run. You want to look for a speaker that has a very high DB rating and ofcourse quality to match.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:51 PM
jake7
All Star

If i was to run speakers to amp I'll have to run just regular speaker wire to my new amp from speakers..any fabrication needed?

Crutchfield is where i got my new HU...I will have to agree with their customer service. A+

Old 07-05-2010, 09:35 PM
jake7
All Star

What brand have people found to be the best all around?

As you can probably tell I'm not much with speakers and such.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will say that if you plan on doing anything with the infinity amp....just dont...I went there...That amp is above the glovebox AND behind the airbags. Its a B**CH to get at, I ended up buying an integration unit and at the moment I am using the Infinity amp, full fade and balance.

Personally I wanted to keep all the front speakers just to provide that "surround sound" without having to RIP the whole dash apart just to replace the dash speakers (all 3). I'm amazed, with the right crossover setup, filters, and of course a pretty expensive deck. They sound great!

Those dash speakers, people seem to consider them tweeters, they are a 2 1/2 in speaker, so to make them work into an after market setup, you would be paying for a pretty hefty crossover to make those speakers work. If you don't you would throwing high range into a mid range speaker.
But if you replace those speakers with actual tweeters, with the necessary crossovers then you would be ok. IF you are willing to rip the dash all apart just to get at them. To me it just was not worth it...

The rest of your truck you should be just fine tho to go with your own amp, front door and rear door speakers. Should be able to do a little bit of re-wiring and should be set but i think to make it sound just right you need some kind of highs up in the dash.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:53 PM
jake7
All Star

yea you lost me at the crossovers and such for the dash speakers...
Though i did get an instruction booklet from crutchfield and it showed that to get to the dash speakers I would only have to pry up the long piece along the front of dash closest to windshield?

I think I might just go with buying some descent speakers for front and rear and replacing the stock infinities. The guy messed them all up with his "system" and now with my new HU they sound worse than before...? Is it maybe bc more power?

Trending Topics

Old 07-06-2010, 08:30 AM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jake7
yea you lost me at the crossovers and such for the dash speakers...
Though i did get an instruction booklet from crutchfield and it showed that to get to the dash speakers I would only have to pry up the long piece along the front of dash closest to windshield?

I think I might just go with buying some descent speakers for front and rear and replacing the stock infinities. The guy messed them all up with his "system" and now with my new HU they sound worse than before...? Is it maybe bc more power?
Sorry it was confusing to write, and i was to lazy to re-write it. Those dash speakers are really just regular 2 1/2 in speakers, the Infinity amp has built in crossovers that let you put your highs through those speakers...making it sound like tweeters. If you were to run them from an aftermarket amp, depending on what kind of crossovers you put in along side with your new door speakers, you COULD force to much highs through those speakers. Those speakers cannot handle to much highs without the right crossover basically.

You can buy a good component speaker that has tweeters and crossovers in it. Which would be great, but you would have to do as crutch field says an literally rip the whole dash apart, and put the tweeters in the speakers place to keep them hidden.

As far as your speakers sounding bad...it could be that your head unit does not have the filters and crossovers that his deck did...Try and look through there for crossovers and try and set them between 60/80Hz...thats what mine are set at and they sound great...if not just replace your speakers, and run them to an aftermarket deck

JUST don't try to use the infinity dash speakers in an aftermarket setup unless you have the right crossover.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:36 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

OK. Theres 2 ways to go about this. You can buy component speakers which mean the tweeters are seperate from the woofers. You'll need to mount the tweeters in the dash and the woofers in the door.
OR
you can buy 6.5" midranges such as THESE and then add a pair of 3.5" dash speakers(here) in the dash to replace the Infinity's. No need for any crossovers, just straight up speaker swap. The amp and deck will do all the filtering. Again, it may not sound perfect, but it'll be better than the Infinity speakers.
I have personally heard the powerbass 4xl's and they sounded really good just off of HU power and they are a good buy. Put some good power to them and OMG they get super loud and clear.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:56 PM
jake7
All Star

Dirty--what do you mean won't sound perfect? Just bc they wouldn't have a lot of power like they would if hooked to the amp? If i wanted to hook up all the speakers to the amp do I just need to run the speaker wires to the amp or is it a little more involved?

Quick Reply: radio/speaker install.....i know i know, it's been covered