Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

uconnect lookup artist on ipod

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 12:08 AM
Norge
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default uconnect lookup artist on ipod

So, I continue to find myself completely unimpressed with the unconnect system's iPod intergration. Today I wanted to "play" "artist" "the who" through voice command from my 160gb iPod classic. It refused to recognize the voice commands (playing other bands). I'm not about to get through the looong list of artists on the browse artist list. (Going page by page through that list is ridiculously slow!) So I selected the a to z button, expecting to be able to type the artist's name. But the only letters/numbers I could select were A, B, D, K and 3... wth?! How are you supposed to be able to look up music on this thing without wanting to put a hole through its screen?! Any help or tips are appreciated!

Old 07-09-2012, 05:48 PM
xsdbs
Captain

which radio do you have? The model will be located on the lower right corner of the radio faceplate. It'll be a 3 digit code.

Ok, so at 160 gig, you probably have a lot of media on the iPod. Is htis correct? You can use VR commands for the locating of artist, albums, tracks etc.

Originally Posted by Norge
So, I continue to find myself completely unimpressed with the unconnect system's iPod intergration. Today I wanted to "play" "artist" "the who" through voice command from my 160gb iPod classic. It refused to recognize the voice commands (playing other bands). I'm not about to get through the looong list of artists on the browse artist list. (Going page by page through that list is ridiculously slow!) So I selected the a to z button, expecting to be able to type the artist's name. But the only letters/numbers I could select were A, B, D, K and 3... wth?! How are you supposed to be able to look up music on this thing without wanting to put a hole through its screen?! Any help or tips are appreciated!

Old 07-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Norge
Professional

Sorry, I forgot to put the radio model. It's the RBZ. I do have LOTS of music on the ipod, and many times the VR works for navigating through it. However there are some artists/albums/songs that the VR completely fails at. The Who being the most recent, I've tried at least 10 times and it keeps coming up with other groups. I'd like to used the A-Z list jump, but like I said it only shows some letters available. I've even tried those that are available and it jumps to things that don't even relate. Very frustrating.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:01 PM
xsdbs
Captain

I see the vehicle is a 2011, do you know what the build date is?
Does the Uconnect perform phone calls ok? for instance when you say "call Roland" (or any other name), does the call go thru ok?
How soon after the key is turned on are you trying to use the VR commands?
In your music menu under artist, how is The Who listed?
If you press the VR button and say "list albums by The Who", how does Uconnect respond?
Is all your music from your personal library or are there some music that is from other sources?
If you were to scroll thru the artist using the back button so you can get to The Who faster, how is it listed?
Please excuse the questions and just to be honest, there may be more. But they need to be asked in order to diagnose the issue. Thanks

Sorry, I forgot to put the radio model. It's the RBZ. I do have LOTS of music on the ipod, and many times the VR works for navigating through it. However there are some artists/albums/songs that the VR completely fails at. The Who being the most recent, I've tried at least 10 times and it keeps coming up with other groups. I'd like to used the A-Z list jump, but like I said it only shows some letters available. I've even tried those that are available and it jumps to things that don't even relate. Very frustrating.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Tieftoener
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if this will help, but I'm pretty sure iPod/iTunes sorts "The" at the beginning of group names to the end when it makes the folder. E.g. "The Who" will show up as "Who, The" in the folder list. And the iPod intelligently sorts it in the Artist database list (select Music, select Artists) under "W" for "Who" rather than "T" for "The." Perhaps try saying "Who The" for the voice recognition...?

Old 07-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Norge
Professional

It took me a little bit to get the info gathered, but here's what's going on for the questions asked:
Originally Posted by xsdbs
I see the vehicle is a 2011, do you know what the build date is?
May/2011
Does the Uconnect perform phone calls ok? for instance when you say "call Roland" (or any other name), does the call go thru ok?
Yep, haven't had any problems making calls.
How soon after the key is turned on are you trying to use the VR commands?
Anywhere from 5 minutes to 45 so far.
In your music menu under artist, how is The Who listed?
listed in itunes and on the artist listing page (pg 133!) as "The Who"
If you press the VR button and say "list albums by The Who", how does Uconnect respond?
I tried this and it started listing all the albums on the ipod
Is all your music from your personal library or are there some music that is from other sources?
They are all on my personal itunes library
If you were to scroll thru the artist using the back button so you can get to The Who faster, how is it listed?
This is one issue I have, there is no option to look up the artist list in reverse. It starts on page 1 of 138 (550 artists total), and only the "A-Z" and down arrow buttons are available. The up arrow button does not show on the first page.
Please excuse the questions and just to be honest, there may be more. But they need to be asked in order to diagnose the issue. Thanks
There are other ones I've had issues with. It will not recognize the band Powerman5000. It also won't recognize the album Oceania (by Smashing Pumpkins). This is why I would think there's got to be a different way to look up things. I'd hoped the "A-Z" button was it, but since all the characters aren't selectable, that doesn't work.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:46 PM
xsdbs
Captain

I really hate to ask this question and I don't mean anything by it, ok. Do you have an accent or do you speak clear English?
I may have missed this so I'm gonna cheat and just ask. You have a 160 Gig iPod, is this the classic Gen 7?

It took me a little bit to get the info gathered, but here's what's going on for the questions asked:

There are other ones I've had issues with. It will not recognize the band Powerman5000. It also won't recognize the album Oceania (by Smashing Pumpkins). This is why I would think there's got to be a different way to look up things. I'd hoped the "A-Z" button was it, but since all the characters aren't selectable, that doesn't work.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:27 AM
Norge
Professional

No worries, it's a fair question. I don't have an accent and since I've tired this dozens of times I've annunciated it as clearly as possible. No luck. The 160 gb ipod is the classic 6th gen. (model A 1 2 3 8) Really I'm not so worried about the VR as much as I would think there's got to be a way to lookup artists, albums, song etc. without VR. Since some bands don't have normal names. Just going through the artist list down to page 133 to manually select it took something like 8 minutes! The uconnect seems to have an extremely slow interface.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:18 AM
xsdbs
Captain

Thanks for your being ok with that.
I'm pretty sure that I have that model somewhere (my kids may have borrowed it) let me look for it and I'll get back on this issue, ok. HAve I already asked if you have rebooted the iPod and if so, have you also tried restoring and re--syncing the ipod with itunes?

No worries, it's a fair question. I don't have an accent and since I've tired this dozens of times I've annunciated it as clearly as possible. No luck. The 160 gb ipod is the classic 6th gen. (model A 1 2 3 8) Really I'm not so worried about the VR as much as I would think there's got to be a way to lookup artists, albums, song etc. without VR. Since some bands don't have normal names. Just going through the artist list down to page 133 to manually select it took something like 8 minutes! The uconnect seems to have an extremely slow interface.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:48 AM
xsdbs
Captain

That "A - 1-2-3-8" seems to be a number used by several ipods. Can you go into menu- settings - about- scroll over to the model #. Can I get that # please? Thanks
Darn forum's not letting me put the # in, but I'm sure you know the # that I'm referring to. (remove the dashes)

Last edited by xsdbs; 07-14-2012 at 05:31 PM.

Quick Reply: uconnect lookup artist on ipod