Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 11:49 PM
bullitt1229
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speakers

I am currently in the process of changing the head unit to a DVD player and was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of some new speakers. I have an '03 Ram QC and want something that sounds better than the stock speakers. I will not be entering competitions or anything, I just want something that is going to make me feel like I am at the movies when I am watching a movie. Thanks for all the input.

Old 03-25-2004, 01:00 PM
chfjim
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Speakers

I would recommend the Infinity Kappa Perfect Series if you got da $! I replaced my stock Infinitys with the Kappa's and they blow ya out of the truck. Not to mention Chrysler sets the wiring to infinitys standard for power supply no matter what speakers you got! Infinitys are the best for mind blowing sound!

Old 03-27-2004, 01:54 AM
98 SS/T

i agree with infinity kappa, but if you want something a little cheaper go with rockford fosgate or kicker, either way you go i would suggest a component set over a 2 or 3 way speaker, you'll be a lot more pleased with the sound

Old 03-28-2004, 11:52 PM
gpzjack
Veteran

I just installed Polk speakers in my 04 and it was a huge improvement. I got two 6x9 three ways and two 6 1/2 2 ways for $185 at circuit city.

Old 03-29-2004, 04:10 PM
bullitt1229
Professional

ORIGINAL: gpzjack

I just installed Polk speakers in my 04 and it was a huge improvement. I got two 6x9 three ways and two 6 1/2 2 ways for $185 at circuit city.
I was doing some research on here and someone said that when they pulled their rear speakers, they were closer to 5.25" rather than 6.5". But on crutchfield.com, they say that the rear speaker size is 6.5". So you do confirm that the rear speaker size is 6.5". Also, can someone tell me pros and cons of getting a 2-way compared to a 3-way compared to a 4-way. I'm pretty sure the 6x9's I get will be 3-way, but what about the rear speaker. Once again, thanks for all your input.

Old 03-31-2004, 04:33 AM
bearcat74
Professional

I am running a set of 6.5 Infinitys. The ones on the pilars are 6.5's in the standard cab. I have done a couple of removals and replacements and now that they completly disassembled my truck at the body shop and I can now see where wire routing and Dynomat will come in handy. Just know that if you go with a 2way. Go with something on the side of best not good. The Infinitys are great and even the mediocre of levels of Infinitys are better than the best of the Rocks. They still have a better responce and a whole lot better in the crispness of the sound out. Just make sure to surround the speakers in Sound deadening and put baffles on them you will be far mor impressed with the output of even the stock speakers...Needless to say do it right and crank it right...

Old 03-31-2004, 02:45 PM
bullitt1229
Professional

Ok, last couple of questions. Out of the Infinity, Rockford Fosgate, and Kicker, which one would you recommend. I'm using these three because these are the only three that anyone has mentioned anything about. If possible, I would like model numbers and so on. Are speakers something I could install myself? I don't have much knowledge about replacing them, but just wondering if I could order them off ebay and install them myself. Once again, thanks for all the feedback.

Trending Topics

Old 03-31-2004, 03:41 PM
chfjim
Veteran

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-biBHdTF...fo&i=108perf61

Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1
6-1/2" Component System
General
Design 2-way
Tweeter Design Dome
Tweeter Composition Anodized Aluminum
Woofer Composition Anodized Aluminum
Woofer Surround Butyl rubber
Parts Warranty 3 YEARS
Labor Warranty 3 YEARS
Specifications
Sensitivity 90 dB
Frequency Response 75 - 23k Hz
RMS Power Range (Watts) 25-100
Peak Power Handling (Watts) 400
Impedance (Ohms) 4
Top-mount Depth (Inches) 2 5/8
Bottom-mount Depth (Inches) N/A
Cutout Diameter or Length (inches) 5 1/16

Perfect." It takes a lot of confidence to use that word to describe a product. But, after hearing the Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 6-1/2" component system, you'll understand why Infinity chose the name. Infinity's engineering talent combines with 21st century technology to produce a component system that delivers superb musical detail and incredible power handling.

The 6-1/2" woofer's aluminum construction allows the reproduction of deep bass at high levels, while the butyl rubber surround minimizes speaker distortion for remarkable clarity. The 1" anodized aluminum dome tweeter is suspended by a butyl rubber surround, dampening the resonant frequency of the tweeter for increased accuracy and excellent power handling. The tweeter can be flush- or surface-mounted — when flush-mounted, the tweeter can be angled to improve imaging.

The 2-way crossover uses a 3500 Hz (24 dB/octave) high-pass filter for the tweeter and a 3500 Hz (24 dB/octave) low-pass filter for the woofer for exceptionally natural sound. Each crossover features 3-way selectable tweeter output (-4 dB, 0 dB, +5 dB) for optimizing your system's response. Infinity has created a component system for the most demanding listener — don't settle for anything less than Perfect!

Key Features:

anodized aluminum woofer with butyl rubber surround
1" anodized aluminum dome tweeter
2-way crossover (high-pass and low-pass, 3500 Hz at 24 dB per octave)
surface- and flush-mount adapters included
frequency response 75-23,000 Hz
power range 25-100 watts RMS
peak power handling 400 watts
sensitivity 90 dB
top-mount depth 2-5/8"

[IMG]local://upfiles/2606/Pn353445416.gif[/IMG]

Old 03-31-2004, 04:17 PM
Aftrshck
Veteran

ok I am going to ask an old man question.....back in the day....speakers sounded like dirt if you did not power them with an amp...so just replacing speakers usually was not the way to go....is it still the same or do the stock heads have enough power to run these speakers nicely???? can only take baby steps ya know...

Old 03-31-2004, 06:21 PM
chfjim
Veteran

The steak head by itself with a componentsystem does a pretty good job, If you want to add a small 200w amp, but not nessecary! Now if you have the infinity system already in there, nothing more to do but crank it up!

Quick Reply: Speakers