Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

New radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 12:13 AM
Dodge-Red
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New radio

Hi, I am currently looking to upgrade my radio. I don't really want to upgrade the speakers at the moment, I am just looking to change out the radio itself with something that has an aux input and still puts out the same sound or better. Any suggestions? I read somewhere our stock radios have 250 watts? But all the radios I see say they have 50w peak x 4 channels or something.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:15 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless your truck has a premium stock head unit, it's probably more like 10 watts/channel. As long as you're aware that changing the head unit and keeping the speakers won't improve the sound much (if at all), any decent brand unit is probably sufficient. Just like increased memory in a PC, speakers will provide the best improvement in performance for the cost.

I used a JVC KD-AR780 in mine, but I upgraded the speakers as well.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:12 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

I just did this. Click link below. The unit I bought was an open box buy for about $160 shipped and now I have aux on the front, not 1 but 2 usb ports on the back and the radio supports ipod/iphone. I also have bluetooth for streaming or for hands free calling. The adapter I got with it uses the factory Infinity amp and speakers and, due to the enhanced tunability in the head unit, it does, in fact, sound better than the stock head unit did, even through the factory speakers.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...audio-wow.html

Old 02-21-2013, 06:35 PM
FirstDodge05
Professional

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158GT57...P.html?tp=5684

I just installed this headunit a few months ago and I love it. Nothing fancy but it has an aux port and a USB connection right on the front. I noticed a pretty good difference in sound quality overall. I had never installed a headunit prior and I was able to install it in about an hour. Everything I needed was included.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:22 PM
Dodge-Red
Amateur

I think my speakers sound good and it gets pretty loud. The main thing I want is an aux input so I can get rid of the mountain of cds I have in my truck. Im thinking about trading the truck in, in a few years for that new 1500 diesel theyre coming out with depending if it is any good so I don't want to throw too much more money at it with a crazy sound system. Ill check out that Sony radio. Thanks guys. One last question does anyone know where I can the the new bezel or whatever to install the typical radio like that sony radio? I was planning on buying the radio from bestbuy because I have some gift cards lol. Thanks again.

Last edited by Dodge-Red; 02-22-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:32 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Do you have the "infinity" sound (posted on the interior pillar trim)? If you do, you need a harness to keep the factory amp and speakers. Mine was called an Axxess turn-on harness.

Do you, by chance, want to play an ipod on your system? If so, i am selling my adapter that works with many of the factory head units thru the cd changer port and it would be much cheaper than a whole new head unit. I believe it has an aux jack on it too. I can check. Let me know if interested.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:13 PM
Chase Lejeune
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dodge-Red
I think my speakers sound good and it gets pretty loud. The main thing I want is an aux input so I can get rid of the mountain of cds I have in my truck. Im thinking about trading the truck in, in a few years for that new 1500 diesel theyre coming out with depending if it is any good so I don't want to throw too much more money at it with a crazy sound system. Ill check out that Sony radio. Thanks guys. One last question does anyone know where I can the the new bezel or whatever to install the typical radio like that sony radio? I was planning on buying the radio from bestbuy because I have some gift cards lol. Thanks again.
yeah, dodge units are a din and 1/2. im assuming the sony is a single din. you can get a universal bezel at walmart. probably best buy as well.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:44 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

My unit and bezel came from crutchfield. They include it for free with a radio. It is pictured in the post i added the link to. If you would rather have my ipod adapter, i would entertain a trade offer for a best buy gift card.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:11 PM
Dodge-Red
Amateur

So all id need is that 1/2 din and it'd fit in there? And yes, mine says infinity on the side pillars, does that make any huge difference? I thought it was more of a gimmick thing like a lot of the truck badges.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:16 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

1/2 din? You need a din and a half trim plate with a cutout for a single din radio. But you cant just cut wires and splice them together if you are going to keep your factory amp and speakers. You would be feeding amp'd lines into another amp.

Quick Reply: New radio