Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Android 4.3 issues with Uconnect

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 11:38 AM
xsdbs
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Android 4.3 issues with Uconnect

Moderators, please consider making this a sticky:

Android 4.3 issues with Uconnect and the following radios:
RES, REQ, RBZ and RHB
I have recently run into an issue with Samsung phones using the Android 4.3 SW. This issue is with new phones as well as phones that have been updated from the Android 4.2 and are on the CDMA networks (Sprint & Verizon). Phones that have been updated from the 4.2 version have been working well till the update was applied. It most likely will be on other CDMA networks as well.

*** I have tried the HTC ONE with 4.3 and it did not have the issue. ***
Here is what happens:
You attempt to place an outgoing call using Uconnect, the call will start the outgoing call and then you’ll hear “Call Completed” but the call is still active on the phone itself.
This is an issue with the phone and network which is currently being looked into by Samsung.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:50 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Even with the 4.3 update, there is an additional Firmware update that is being sent out is batches do to various bugs(mostly screen bugs).
You can do this Manually by going to--> Settings -->System Update --> Update Firmware to see if you have latest software for your Samsung Phone.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:40 PM
xsdbs
Captain

As I mentioned, this is an issue that has been brought to the attention of Samsung and they're working on it. There are no current firmware fixes at this moment. There won't be any time soon. The firmware will need to be validated first by Samsung, then Sprint & Verizon. After it's an approved update, then it will be released to the customer.

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Even with the 4.3 update, there is an additional Firmware update that is being sent out is batches do to various bugs(mostly screen bugs).
You can do this Manually by going to--> Settings -->System Update --> Update Firmware to see if you have latest software for your Samsung Phone.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:48 PM
mmark27
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xsdbs
Moderators, please consider making this a sticky:

Android 4.3 issues with Uconnect and the following radios:
RES, REQ, RBZ and RHB
I have recently run into an issue with Samsung phones using the Android 4.3 SW. This issue is with new phones as well as phones that have been updated from the Android 4.2 and are on the CDMA networks (Sprint & Verizon). Phones that have been updated from the 4.2 version have been working well till the update was applied. It most likely will be on other CDMA networks as well.

*** I have tried the HTC ONE with 4.3 and it did not have the issue. ***
Here is what happens:
You attempt to place an outgoing call using Uconnect, the call will start the outgoing call and then you’ll hear “Call Completed” but the call is still active on the phone itself.
This is an issue with the phone and network which is currently being looked into by Samsung.
THIS HAS BEEN DRIVING ME INSANE!

I have had this problem with 4.2.1, 4.3 and now with 4.4 on my Samsung Galaxy S4 on Sprint (SPH-L720 mono-band LTE variant).

My theory is that when the phone is switching from 1900MHz perhaps to 800MHz for voice (both bands are used in Sprint's Network Vision plans), or vice versa, the car via bluetooth thinks it has lost connection to the call. Verizon does something similar with its CDMA. If you are in an area with Sprint upgrades in progress to the 800MHz bands (which is just about everywhere) this will be an issue for sure.

I'm going to keep track of this thread now so I can see if you find anything out for us xsdbs.

On a side note, on android 4.2.1 my SGS3 and SGS4 both wouldn't download the phone book completely and wouldn't allow the Uconnect to SEND text messages. It would always say, "sending of text message failed". On Android 4.3, you could send text messages with the Uconnect (!!!!) and the phonebook would completely download. On 4.4.2, its back to behaving like android 4.2.1 again. Its a complete, clusterF. I did rent a 2014 Ford Fusion recently on a trip and that Ford MySync system works flawlessly with the Samsung Android phones....flawlessly and very quickly without so many prompts and with a far more pleasing voice.

EDIT: Also, a good read on Bluetooth MAP and Android woes here: http://goo.gl/n05da3 It appears as though MAP access with added and then revoked by Google through the Bluedroid stack. In 4.4, Android was supposed to natively support MAP in the OS. However, it appears to me that Samsung has messed things up royally. MAP being why messages won't get sent by the Uconnect.

Last edited by mmark27; 02-17-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:27 AM
xsdbs
Captain

The "call completed" issue is the phone not responding correctly to a query for a list of current call(s) on line1 & (or) line2.
When Uconnect tells the phone to place a call, Uconnect needs to know if the phone is actually making the call and then also if the call is still active or not. This is so that Uconnect knows to stay in the hands free mode or to go back to radio mode. So Uconnect will ask the phone for a list of current calls. Not all BT car kits are the same or act the same, due to the BT specs not being tightly regulated. This allows different SW developers to make a feature work differently than another SW developer. This is why certain features work differently, better or not at all in various car kits.
In this case, the phone is coming back and telling Uconnect that there isn't an active call, (please see the page below).
Now what I have been able to do with the S4 with the 4.4 KK update is to place the call from the phone itself while connected to Uconnect. The call is then routed thru Uconnect.
As for the MAP issue, "sending failed" prompt is heard on both CDMA networks (Sprint & Verizon) but the same model phone works correctly on GSM networks (ATT & T-mobile)

Originally Posted by mmark27
THIS HAS BEEN DRIVING ME INSANE!

I have had this problem with 4.2.1, 4.3 and now with 4.4 on my Samsung Galaxy S4 on Sprint (SPH-L720 mono-band LTE variant).

My theory is that when the phone is switching from 1900MHz perhaps to 800MHz for voice (both bands are used in Sprint's Network Vision plans), or vice versa, the car via bluetooth thinks it has lost connection to the call. Verizon does something similar with its CDMA. If you are in an area with Sprint upgrades in progress to the 800MHz bands (which is just about everywhere) this will be an issue for sure.

I'm going to keep track of this thread now so I can see if you find anything out for us xsdbs.

On a side note, on android 4.2.1 my SGS3 and SGS4 both wouldn't download the phone book completely and wouldn't allow the Uconnect to SEND text messages. It would always say, "sending of text message failed". On Android 4.3, you could send text messages with the Uconnect (!!!!) and the phonebook would completely download. On 4.4.2, its back to behaving like android 4.2.1 again. Its a complete, clusterF. I did rent a 2014 Ford Fusion recently on a trip and that Ford MySync system works flawlessly with the Samsung Android phones....flawlessly and very quickly without so many prompts and with a far more pleasing voice.

EDIT: Also, a good read on Bluetooth MAP and Android woes here: http://goo.gl/n05da3 It appears as though MAP access with added and then revoked by Google through the Bluedroid stack. In 4.4, Android was supposed to natively support MAP in the OS. However, it appears to me that Samsung has messed things up royally. MAP being why messages won't get sent by the Uconnect.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:38 AM
mmark27
Rookie

So, you have confirmation from Samsung that they are actually looking into a fix for this? I've set up ticket after ticket on this and they haven't done a single thing about it.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:01 AM
xsdbs
Captain

Yes I do thru a associated contact.

hmm, I just noticed that my attachment didn't get added. I'll try it again:

So, you have confirmation from Samsung that they are actually looking into a fix for this? I've set up ticket after ticket on this and they haven't done a single thing about it.

Attached Thumbnails Android 4.3 issues with Uconnect-2-19-14-2-sprint-s4n-call-completed-issue-.jpg  

Last edited by xsdbs; 02-19-2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:48 AM
mmark27
Rookie

Yes I do thru a associated contact.

hmm, I just noticed that my attachment didn't get added. I'll try it again:
Excellent!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using IB AutoGroup

Old 02-19-2014, 11:29 AM
mmark27
Rookie

Now what I have been able to do with the S4 with the 4.4 KK update is to place the call from the phone itself while connected to Uconnect. The call is then routed thru Uconnect.
I haven't been able to make a call from the phone itself to route through the Uconnect or through the Uconnect itself with 4.4 on my S4.

I never have an issue with incoming calls, they always connect fine and stay connected. Clearly this is that call back issue from the Uconnect to the phone that you have on that sheet.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:12 AM
xsdbs
Captain

Correct, I have only seen the issue on out going calls. Incoming calls are fine.

I haven't been able to make a call from the phone itself to route through the Uconnect or through the Uconnect itself with 4.4 on my S4.

I never have an issue with incoming calls, they always connect fine and stay connected. Clearly this is that call back issue from the Uconnect to the phone that you have on that sheet.

Quick Reply: Android 4.3 issues with Uconnect