Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Dumb question

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 04:36 PM
twk62390
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb question

I kno i might sound retarded asking this but im curious.

can someone please explain the difference in a 4ohm sub and a 2 ohm sub.

also i have crappy Dual 12 in subs and am wanting to upgrade to kicker cvx or L7 12s or 15s and was wondering if anyone has them and are they any good?

thanks for the help

Old 08-20-2006, 05:42 AM
habeba86
Record Breaker
Default RE: Dumb question

Ohm is the unit of measure for resistance. The more resistance(higher ohm) the less current flow. The less resistance(lower ohm) the more current flow. More current flow=more power. So a 2 ohm sub will allow more current flow than a 4 ohm sub. Is a 2 ohm sub better?....not really. It all depends on what ohm load your amp is stable with. The l7 are pretty loud subs, alot ppl think they sound like crap...some think they sound jst fine. The cvx is a nice sub with good spl and sq and "sql" sub. Are you wanting jst loud bass or music that sounds good?

Old 08-21-2006, 12:06 PM
CaptainPioneer
Rookie

Also to bolster what Habeba said... Kickers arnt that bad at least not in my opinion... the new l7 and l5's are really a huge improvement over the older designs... the only problem with Kicker is that they have a high failure rate and its unfortunate but a lot of time in your life you may spend sending ur subs back to be fixed... Personally... I think you should go with to Ascendant Audio Arsenals... for around the same price you could get somethign that is sooo much better... also you have to make sure that you drive those subs with a quality amp.... what do you have or have in mind? Also tell me the specs of the amps so maybe i can help match that up for you.... BTW Habeba... Just got myself a 03 Hifonics Brutus 1600 series... HOLY CRAP! I measured 139.6 on the TL mic yesterday.... Huge improvement over the 133db on my Boss Riot amp! Just 2 12" Eclipse lower lines in a sealed box too!

Old 08-21-2006, 09:20 PM
twk62390
Professional

well......as for the subs. i just want a sub that i can turn down and have good sounding music or turn it up and be able to hear it a block away. i just want a sub that gets loud and has good deep and responsive bass of a good quality. if that makes since. but for the amp i havnt considered. i woul like sum opinions of good amps that are not too high in price but i kno that it cant be a cheap peice of crap......like i have now.

Old 08-22-2006, 01:43 AM
habeba86
Record Breaker
Old 08-22-2006, 03:11 PM
CaptainPioneer
Rookie

Alright u want a SQL sub from what i take... how much are you willing to spend i know a guy who is liquidating his stock and closing his shop so he is looking to get rid of his stuff.. He has American Bass, Hifonics, and probably some other stuff i cant remember... THe L7 is a nice sub but if you want to Get loud and still have great sound u wont get it out of that... U would have better luck with Ascendant Audio, Resonant Engineering, and Eclipse.

Old 08-22-2006, 07:37 PM
twk62390
Professional

ok....so the l7 isnt what im looking for.......thats the main thing i need to kno bcuz its had to go by what a sub sounds like in a store.....most of them sound the same to me until you get them in your car. but im wanting to try to spend no more or not to much more than about 700 dollars....and all i need are the subs and amp. i already have a amp kit and box. and i just wanted to say thanks for the help again guys.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:25 PM
CaptainPioneer
Rookie

Personally i know how you can get really loud for really cheap and it would be with one sub and one amp if u are interested...

1 12" Alpine Type R Ported box built by a friend of mine (He does great work) and maybe a JBL 600.1 and thats way less than $700

Old 08-23-2006, 12:27 PM
CaptainPioneer
Rookie

Like you can get stupid loud with it... The guy i know hit 147.9 db on a B&K meter in his Saturn... so prolly like a 143.7 on a Term Lab...

Or if you want to just get loud to about 138ish go with 2 Alpine 12" Type Rs Sealed in 1.2 cuft box

Old 08-23-2006, 07:36 PM
twk62390
Professional

Well i dont really want to go with a ported box again. thats what i have now but im having a sealed box built. But im going to check on them alpines. really tho i think anything is a improvement from my Duals. i think i hit around 89db i believe. but i just want to geta system that is a big improvement from that so i want be in this situation again 6 months from now. meaning thats how long ive had my system and it has already started sounding crappy to me, and my budget isnt too high bcuz im only 16 and dont have that kind of money so i want to get the most for what im spending.

Quick Reply: Dumb question