Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Infinity Radio Blues

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 02:29 AM
Easttexasdragon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infinity Radio Blues

I have a 95 RAM 1500 that had an Infinity Head Unit (AM/FM/CD) in it at one time. And some Jerk Took a Pry Bar and A hammer to my Dash to get it out. He didn't leave me any dash to mount a new unit to so I had to make a custom enclosure, Well anyway The Insurance Company Bought me a New Head Unit A pyle PLCDUSB64MP3 And At First I did forget to hook up the Blue Wires so the Amps would work. Now Everything is working. My Problem is the AMP is going off and On (which it was doing this before they stole my H/U). Back in 2000 I had to replace the Amp Relay. But Now I have Forgot where the Relay was. Well I decided to see if I could find the relay again..... I saw somewhere that the factory AMP was behind the glove box so I started there. Houston we have a problem....You cant get behind the Glove box. Once the glove box is out, The dash is solid from top to bottom with a tiny opening on the top right side with a couple of plugs showing,That's it. So I tried turning the Head Unit off and on so I could listen for the relay click. I heard a click that sounded like it was coming from the behind the SRS Equipped cover located on the hump where the dash meets the floor. But I'm not sure its not just a echo coming from the Head Unit. I got pissed so I quit for the day before I damaged something. I think the AMP and Relay is behind the passenger kick panel. I'm going to check there tomorrow unless anybody tells me different. Got any Ideas?

Old 11-15-2006, 02:42 AM
habeba86
Record Breaker
Default RE: Infinity Radio Blues

Does it jst randomly turn on and off, or does it do it when you change sources?

Old 11-15-2006, 02:48 AM
Easttexasdragon

I just does it after it warms up. On hot days its very quick to go off and back on. I think it may be a ground short, because it can be working and I can hit a bump and it will go off or hit a bump and it will come back on. The thing is that when it goes off it may be 30 seconds to a minute before it comes back on. I may get through 2 songs before it goes back off

Old 11-15-2006, 03:02 AM
Easttexasdragon

I wander if the AMP might be bad. Then comes the question Do they make an aftermarket replacement?

Old 11-15-2006, 04:15 AM
habeba86
Record Breaker

Well yes you could get a small amp to power the factory speakers, or get new speaker and get a bigger amp to power those. You said you think it maybe be a ground short cuz when you hit bumps it goes off. I would (even tho its a pain) re-check the connections on the cd player and the speakers...it might take some time, but could save you lots of cash!!

OOOO and your amps are attached to the speakers.....actually someone posted a pic let me find it and ill post it up.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:30 AM
habeba86
Record Breaker

The amps r the black u shaped thing attached to the bottom of the speaker. There is one on each front speaker, but not the rear.

Old 11-15-2006, 10:15 AM
rtkota5point9
All Star

That's right, the amp on the front also runs the rear speaker on that side. Make sure the speaker terminals aren't shorting out on any metal. Ive seen that happen a lot and it will certainly shut off all the audio. Replacements for those speakers are about $199!! You could also remove the amps all together. It would just be a little quietter. But since you already have an aftermarket headunit that should be plenty.

Trending Topics

Old 11-15-2006, 03:24 PM
Easttexasdragon

Thanks for all the advice guys. I still think its the Relay. Here's why...With the Truck setting still after about five minutes of music play, The Bass, not the sound, just the Bass goes off. just like it was before I hooked up the blue wires, which tells me that its the power to the Amps that's going off and on. Like I said earlier I had to replace the Relay back in the Year 2000 because it quit working. I used a old Relay that I just happen to have that fit. Also I live on a oil top road that is rough and full of pot holes, I'm always having to tighten something up on my dash from being vibrated loose. Adam you said something about checking the connections. I did that when I connected the Blue wires. all wires were soldered and individually taped. I even wrapped tape around the Plugs on the wiring harness to make sure they stay connected, So I know its not the connection on the New Head Unit. I haven't checked the connection on the Speakers, because they all are working, even when the AMP goes off I still have sound coming through. On the front speakers the sound is louder and sounds like Highs and Mid's, The Rear speakers its just the highs. This is the same sound as before I hooked up the blue AMP Power wires. I feel if I had a bad connection on a speaker the sound on that speaker would quit and not shut off all the bass to all speakers, but dealing with factory stuff who knows. I would love to just say Frak it and replace the speakers and buy new AMP's. but I'm disabled and that takes money that I don't have and the ability to remove stuff, build boxes, run wires etc, etc, so I'm sticking to just replacing the Head Unit (For Now) and maybe the relay. So Guys is The Relay behind the passenger kick panel?

So to recap, here are the facts

1. The New Connections are all soldered and individually taped
2. This problem was happening before the new Head Unit was installed
3. Its Just The AMP's that are going off and on.
4. The Relay was old
5. The Truck is 17 years old
6. I'm 46, and Disabled

You Guys are Great Thank you so much. You dont know how much your advice means to me.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:19 PM
habeba86
Record Breaker

Well I agree, it does sound like something to do with the amps. I have no clue where the relay would be.....If someone could take off the door panels for ya and you or them could check and see if any wires are grounded out I would do that first. If you do that and find nothing or dont want to, I guess there isnt much left to do besides take it to a shop and have it checked out. I would jst tell them what is wrong and if it going to be costly to fix, jst have them run new speaker wire from the head unit to the fronts.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:03 PM
Easttexasdragon

Your A lot of Help Adam LOL What I need is a wiring Digram, I wonder if there is any free ones on line.....hmmmmmm My Searches are'nt coming up with anything thats free. It turned cold here today, My body said screw checking the kick panels[:-] I did notice today that the AMP played almost 30 minutes before shutting off and I can count to around 8 before it comes back on. I did a little testing. The AMP went off and I hit a pot hole and it came back on. Then I could hit a bump and it would go off but that didnt work every time. I hit another pot hole and the only thing that went off was me ...OUCH . It doesnt seam to matter what volumn setting ether.

Well After a LOT of searching I found the wiring diagram. Here it is.

Quick Reply: Infinity Radio Blues