Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Chrysler execs admit Sebring & Nitro are misses

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 02:09 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chrysler execs admit Sebring & Nitro are misses

ORIGINAL: ViperGTS

Sebring just screams booooring! Nitro is just ugly, cheapand boxy. Way to pay attention to consumers Dodge.
Exactly. And in windy areas like Texas and Colorado, the Nitro would be like driving down the road with alarge piece of plywood attached to the front of the car......so much for EPA gas mileage.

Dusty

Old 06-15-2007, 03:08 AM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to say though, I'm not a fan of the Nitro, but for it supposedly being a failure I see a TON of them driving around here now.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:40 AM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

Its not so much that the nitro is a failure, more than its just falling short of expectations. If I remember right they hoped for every 3 liberty's one nitro would sell. Making the nitro 25 percent of plant capacity. In realitly its 5 libs to 1 nitro. Putting it under 10 percent of capacity. The sebring sedan is just plain ugly. Somebody please just kill the nassau comcept too!

Old 06-18-2007, 01:27 PM
shiltz
Captain

ORIGINAL: RIPSIGUY

The Sebring and Avenger's big flaw is the interior. The damn dash board looks like a recycled milk jug, same goes for the Caliber. Cheap, cheap, cheap looking inside. My rep told me the reason interiors have been so cheap lately was the Germans did not want our cars to compete with theirs. Take the interior on the 300, plain jane looking. If they had a WOW interior that car would have taken some porentiol buyers from Benz.
Personaly I really like the interiors, especialy on the Sebring, it's the exterior that's ugly on it imo, over the past few year i've found chysler/dodge interiors to be much nicer looking than that of Toyota's and Honda's.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't seen the sebring but I have to agree on the caliber's interior being horrible. Rode in a friend's recently, I'm pretty sure the interior in the 1990 gmc suburban I used to have was finished better than the caliber. Most of the other chrysler/dodge/jeeps I've rode in the interior was fine though.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:45 PM
Hemi_guy

So then it could be said that instead of the two being misses, Chrysler's expectations were perhaps unrealistic? I like the Nitro because it hasan aggresiveattitude for a mid size SUV. The Sebring is the same platform as the Avenger and yet I see no complaints about the Avenger yet. Maybe with a few simple add ons for the 09' year it'll pick up. No need to drop them if that's what the thought is.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:37 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hemi_guy

The Sebring is the same platform as the Avenger and yet I see no complaints about the Avenger yet.
The Avenger actually looks good though. I and most think the Sebring is ugly.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:26 AM
Dakota_24

I myself think the Sebring is the ugliest thing I've ever seen next to a Toyota. I don't have a problem with the interior in any of these cars. I like the Nitro; because its different than the norm SUV. I also really like the mini-Charger (Avenger). So basically I the only car I have a problem with is the Sebring.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:09 AM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

ORIGINAL: SHAPman

Its not so much that the nitro is a failure, more than its just falling short of expectations. If I remember right they hoped for every 3 liberty's one nitro would sell. Making the nitro 25 percent of plant capacity. In realitly its 5 libs to 1 nitro. Putting it under 10 percent of capacity. The sebring sedan is just plain ugly. Somebody please just kill the nassau comcept too!
OK, but that could be read in 2 different ways. Since day one the liberty has been outstripping sales expectations, so maybe its not that the nitro is selling slower than expected but the lib is selling way fast. I know 2 people who bought libs in the past 2 months alone.

What I like about the nitro is that front clip, and the dash--those 3 separate, round guage pods should be in the Wrangler! The front clip is a bit narrower than the rest of the body, with the fenders kind of popping off the sides which looks like a funky, modernized interpretation of the separate hood/fender style cars had in the 30's and 40's. In fact, as much as the idea makes me nervous, that front clip would be perfect for a Dodge version of the Wrangler.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I barely ever see Nitros. It's just not selling well. It's not like the Liberty is new and it's doing better than expected. It's been selling that way.

ORIGINAL: grungerockjeeper

What I like about the nitro is that front clip
Funny, that's what I hate about the Nitro, besides the plastic on the exterior on models below the RT.

Quick Reply: Chrysler execs admit Sebring & Nitro are misses