Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Chrysler execs admit Sebring & Nitro are misses

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Chrysler execs admit Sebring & Nitro are misses

Chrysler execs admit Sebring and Nitro are misses
AutoBlog.com
Posted Jun 8th 2007 12:35PM by John Neff

The Detroit News got its hands on a transcript of a Q&A session held between Chrysler execs and employees of the company in which management admits the company misjudged the market when developing vehicles like the new Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Nitro. The transcript was confirmed to be legitimate by Chrysler spokesman Rick Deneau, who admitted it was never meant for the public to see. Nevertheless, the Q&A session shows that that there are many at Chrysler who are "quite upset" about how some vehicles turned out, which is illustrated most pointedly by the harsh criticism the Sebring and Nitro received from Consumer Reports.

In response, Chrysler says it is moving fast to fix its own internal development process so that it can better project what customers want and expect from their vehicles a few years down the road. It seems the current system is good at matching what competitors are offering now, but produces vehicles that arrive on the market behind the curve in terms of design, quality and interiors.

We've certainly panned the Sebring for its design, both exterior and interior, as well as its uncompetitive engine lineup, and we've read the comments slamming the Nitro that Dodge has provided for our Sweepstakes, which, by the way, you can click here to enter (hey, it's free!). We're perplexed as to how the Jeep Compass and Dodge Avenger were never mentioned in this litany of Chrysler misses, though one also has to recognize the company's current successes, including the new Jeep Wrangler that's selling like crazy right now.It's unfortunate for Chrysler that the company couldn't have addressed all these problems quickly and quietly, as the leaked transcript will surely not help the rate at which Chrysler dealers are moving these vehicles of their lots.

[Source: The Detroit News][/align]

Old 06-14-2007, 06:22 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chrysler execs admit Sebring & Nitro are misses

I never did like the looks of the Nitro, but I did enter the contest to win one.....

Dusty

Old 06-14-2007, 06:53 PM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

At least they are seeing the mistakes. I as an emp read this about a week ago. Now lets see if they can make the right changes.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper

I like that they're admitting it and working towards a solution.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:47 PM
RIPSIGUY
Captain

I disagree on the Nitro. They are selling here like hotcakes. It personally does not excite me, but they are selling well in my area.

The Sebring and Avenger's big flaw is the interior. The damn dash board looks like a recycled milk jug, same goes for the Caliber. Cheap, cheap, cheap looking inside. My rep told me the reason interiors have been so cheap lately was the Germans did not want our cars to compete with theirs. Take the interior on the 300, plain jane looking. If they had a WOW interior that car would have taken some porentiol buyers from Benz.

IMO, the Caliber, Sebring, Avenger, and Nitro were good concepts that were poorly executed.

Thank God the Germans are gone!

Old 06-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Natedogg625
Record Breaker

I really like the styling of the nitro, its got alot of attitude. And the engines also back it up. I have driven the R/T before and I must say the 4.0 Liter really kicks a$$. If I had the money there would be a Nitro R/T sitting in my driveway (along with my dak...)

Old 06-15-2007, 12:19 AM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

ORIGINAL: RIPSIGUY

I disagree on the Nitro. They are selling here like hotcakes. It personally does not excite me, but they are selling well in my area.

Yeah, here in PDX (land of granola, hippies, and chicks with braided armpit hair) the Nitro is selling great from the looks of things, and thats a bit of a surprise with a bit of anti-SUV sentiment here. The streets are infested with the new Wrangler too, but this is a Jeep-heavy area.

Personally, I dig the style of the Nitro. I think I may even like the front clip better than the new Liberty's, which is just a rip off of the crap-tastic Commander.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:24 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper

There are two things that bother me big time on the Nitro. The plastic flares and bumpers on the models that aren't RT. UGLY! And what looks like to little ***** on the front bumper.

The Sebring has a few ood styling cues, but looks like it was thrown together and therefor is ugly to me.

The Avenger I have no problem with. Those are selling great and they look great as well.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:51 AM
ViperGTS
Banned

Sebring just screams booooring! Nitro is just ugly, cheapand boxy. Way to pay attention to consumers Dodge.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:07 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

I'd just like to state that I said both of these vehicles would be ****, and low and behold they are....

That being said, I must admit I'm impressed that Chrysler/Dodge has recognized this and is working to improve/fix the situation....

Quick Reply: Chrysler execs admit Sebring & Nitro are misses