Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

2006 Dodge Charger Gets Hate Mail:

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 12:11 PM
lonasindi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2006 Dodge Charger Gets Hate Mail:

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

its crap..and thats that..i dont care if it runs 10, stock. much like i dont care if the SRTs can run low 13s/high 12s stock. they need to make a damn coupe other than the piece of mistu crap im stuck with. as a mopar driver, everywhere i go i have to listen to five-blow and cumaro drivers go on and on about how dodge doesnt make a "muscle car"...aside from the rich mans toy that is the viper..my only comeback is the SRT4...a 4 door neon...the neon part is fine but dodges proliferation of the 4 door disgusts me.
mm... GM doesn't even make the firebird/camaro anymore. Closest thing to a 'muscle car' is the GTO, but even that is a sports car, in my opinion.

I make that distinction mainly by styling. A muscle car must feel like one. The old charger concept seemed like a muscle car to me. Viper is a sports car. Corvette is also a sports car. It's inevitable, the sports car, in my view, is going to be the dominant force for the time being. The muscle car is something that's probably not coming back until we get a designer who is willing to go back to old lines and styles.

Old 12-02-2004, 12:19 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i know gm doesnt make the f bodies anymore...

and the holden is just that...GM cant come up with anything original..they rip off other companies and rehash foreign models that we havent seen...

but the charger is still whooped.

Old 12-02-2004, 12:40 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, at least I'm not the only who has thought about sending them an email. Hoo-frickin-ray for everyone that did. DC had a lot of nerve calling that 4-dr businessmans car a charger. I hate it when they just re-badge cars. What's the F'ing point to that. The new charger sucks in the since that it's a huge dissapointment from the concept severals years ago, and the fact that it's just a 300C.

Hey you bozo's at DC. How about coming out with a car the size of a Mustang and call it a Challenger you idiots. Offer it with a 4.7L HO/ 5-spd manual in base performance trim, and a Hemi 5.7L with a 6-spd in the destroy all comers trim.

[b]WAKE UP YOU MORONS AND SMELL THE COFFEE.[/b]

Old 12-02-2004, 02:16 PM
TeeWJay426
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: mopartodd

Hey you bozo's at DC. How about coming out with a car the size of a Mustang and call it a Challenger you idiots. Offer it with a 4.7L HO/ 5-spd manual in base performance trim, and a Hemi 5.7L with a 6-spd in the destroy all comers trim.
My sentiments exactly!![sm=exactly.gif]

Old 12-02-2004, 03:51 PM
harcourtmudd

Wow! Obviously we have some loyalists that are upset about this, and that's not a bad thing. Here's the problem guys; these arguments and opinions have been posted hundreds of times in hundreds of other places...it's not gonna change the build to a two-door vehicle. Whether DCX should or shouldn't have called this car the Charger, please realize that this will definitely help the company you all profess to love so much.

Another point that a lot of you seem to be unable to get over is that a two-door rear drive vehicle won't sell in the numbers that this Charger will. It's not 1968 and the truth of the matter is that sedans sell too well.

The original Charger was a Coronet with a different body and options package, so the fact that this new one shares the same platform as the LX does not warrant the comment that it is "just" a 300C because it is an excellent platform gathering accolades from everywhere. Saying this does a disservice to your intelligence and the heritage of the 300, as it has an even longer history with Chrysler, and some argue it to be the first muscle car; see: First Production Vehicle with 300 hp

Everyone: cool out and maybe the money this car brings in will warrant the development of a two-door LX...some say it's already being tested and may surprise you in concept form next spring!

Old 12-02-2004, 04:21 PM
TeeWJay426
Record Breaker

I never implied that there was anything wrong with this platform, or in fact, the 300C. My bi$%h with this car all along has been the name. Call me a loyalist if it makes you feel more comfortable with my opinion, but the fact is that the name 'Charger' DOES have historical signifance to the Dodge marque, and this new platform wearing that name does that memory a disservice. The name really should have been retired in 1974 before the Cordoba variant emerged. Yeah, it started as a variation of the Coronet platform..... so what? The Mustang was a Falcon under the skin, the GTO was a LeMans, etc.... is that supposed to diminish THEIR historical significance to Ford and Pontiac? I doubt it. Do you think that it is a coincidence that the new GTO is a flop, while the new Mustang looks to be a home run? I would hope not. When you see this new 4-door, do you think 'Bullitt', or 'Dukes of Hazzard?' Not likely.
This new Charger might very well be a big success for DCX. The Magnum and 300 both seem to be, and this car will probably continue that streak. What they, and you, need to understand, however, is that they will NOT be selling me one; and I'm am obviously NOT the only one that has this opinion, since they have been getting a high volume of negativity from it!!! Of course the 'purists' or 'loyalists' or whatever label you want to hang on us are upset by it! Telling me or the rest of us what a great car it is isn't going to help sway our opinion or convince us to buy one. Deep down I know it's probably a great car, but if THAT was what I was looking for, there would already be a 300C in my garage... I wouldn't be waiting for this one!

Old 12-02-2004, 05:38 PM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

every one is whining about the name...its just a name. it is a 2005 charger, not a 70 whatever(old cars suck) it is its own car, who happens to have the same name. get over the whole true to the original. thats why the mustang sucks so much. gm had the rite idea with the GTO, but see they did the 2 door and there is no market there. sedans are what people want except a few people like u. I'm sure a coupe is in the works, but instead of whining about our/my future charger, just shut up and wait for your 2 door that will have its own name, that may very well share the same name as an older car. i don't think the new magnum is true to the old one(old cars suck), but its is its own car that happens to have the same name. the name is what will grab people attention no matter what piece it is on.

Old 12-02-2004, 05:38 PM
Polish Don
Rookie

FACT:Like someone said earlier, a two door car just does not sell as well as a sedan.

Fact: Unlike some prior attempts, it APPEARS to be closer to the original Charger ideas/core structure then in the last few attempts, agreed? (i.e. mid's 70's and 80's) It's a HEMI powered rear drive vehicle that is full size and LOOKS American. (The GTO, which is ok, but not what it should be. It looks too european) Look at the (now dead) Mercury Marauder.... A phony muscle sedan that was slower then some V-6 cars !

Fact: The styling is not what I had in my mind for a Charger. I personally felt that the car would be a comprimise of a rebadged 300C/Magnum, and not a modified '99 concept. It was too old. I'd wish they would have produced the Chrysler 300 concept or the Altantic from the 1990's!!

Fact: There has been solid information that DCX is looking into a two door coupe and Convertible for the 300C..... That means that there COULD be a Charger Convertible.... That would be something exciting.

I agree that perhaps the idea of the sedan being called the Coronet is valid (I own a '75 Coronet Wagon)... But I think DCX wants to streamline the names. It could have been worse, the Magnum could have been called a Charger too..... A Charger Wagon??

Before you crucify the Charger/DCX, look at it in real life, then vote with your dollars.... But don't "Hate mail" DCX for a logical marketing decision. If I was in there place, I would have made it a sedan as well.

One last point..... I always love driving "sleepers". The Charger is (now) a perfect sleeper to pass as a sensible family car, but still can be made into a performance car.

[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 12-02-2004, 07:00 PM
TeeWJay426
Record Breaker

Nickoman- you are certainly showing a lot in the way of nerve saying 'old cars suck' in a forum of this nature, but precious little in the way of gray matter. So what constitutes an 'old car' in the eyes of a 17 y.o. punk? Something prior to what.... 2002??? The last Charger was made before you even BEGAN wearing diapers, for crying out loud.... do you think you're even entitled to slam my opinion?? Of course, this is coming from the same idiot who thinks it's OK to drive down the road like a total a** hole, or leave a 3 & 5 year old home alone, and can't write an intelligent complete sentence in English........(HINT: capital letters and punctuation marks exist for a REASON!!!!!) I have three suggestions for you.... either grow up, smarten up, or STFU, because you are rapidly losing any credibilty as anything but a typical teen moron!

Old 12-02-2004, 07:10 PM
shiltz
Captain

FACT:Like someone said earlier, a two door car just does not sell as well as a sedan.
for people looking for that type of car yes, for people looking for a high perfomance muscle/sports car 2 doors are still always prefered, look at the 2005 mustang, ford definatly did it right, retro 2 door muscle car, from what i've read it's something like a 12 month wait if you order one cause there are that many order, the charger will never see that muc popularity though, it will sell well though simply because it's a good large 4 door sedan and the only full size sedan dodge will have, I can assure you if ford made the mustang a 4 door sedan it would have flopped, if dodge was smart they would have made a magnum sedan for the full size sedan and then made a real charger, not this poor excuse for a charger, the changer name belongs on that car just as much as it would belong on an SRT-4.

Quick Reply: 2006 Dodge Charger Gets Hate Mail: