Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

2006 Dodge Charger Gets Hate Mail:

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 03:38 PM
redriderbob
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Dodge Charger Gets Hate Mail:

2006 Dodge Charger:

1969 Dodge Charger:

Chrysler fends off a Charger coup:

The Chrysler group's revival of the Charger name on a Dodge sedan is generating "hate mail," says a senior executive. Production of the 2006 model starts in January, but correspondence is voluminous opposing the name on a four-door, says Trevor Creed, Chrysler senior vice president of design. The naysayers, writing primarily via e-mail, champion various Charger coupes that ran from 1966 through 1978 and from 1982 through 1987, Creed says. "They all think their Charger is the real thing."

Autoweek.com

redriderbob

Old 12-01-2004, 03:40 PM
TeeWJay426
Record Breaker
Default RE: 2006 Dodge Charger Gets Hate Mail:

Kinda what I've been saying all along.... just never bothered to tell anyone at D-C up to this point!

Old 12-01-2004, 03:56 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, if the Charger never left and was with us all this time... do you think it would look like new Charger? I don't. I think it would still have the Charger feel. This new Charger feels like a Magnum to me.

~Amanda

Old 12-01-2004, 04:17 PM
TeeWJay426
Record Breaker

If the Charger had remained all along, it probably would have changed a lot. Ma Mopar did away with ALL rear drive cars in.... what was it... 1990? The Charger took a big departure from its roots in '75 when it became a Cordoba knock-off, and got even worse in '82 when it became a striped front-drive Omnirizon. On the other hand, looking at something from one of those OTHER companies... ie, Mustang, Corvette, etc.... they too strayed from their roots, not quite as far, but have remained a lot closer to their original concepts than this new 'Charger'. IMHO, they should have left the name dead and buried until they came up with a car closer to what the Charger was originally intended to be in '66. This 2006 version is a 300C in Dodge clothing.... not a bad car by any means, but NOT a Charger!

Old 12-01-2004, 07:07 PM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

but correspondence is voluminous opposing the name on a four-door, says Trevor Creed, Chrysler senior vice president of design

there is still hope for all of u, but as far as i am concerned, im already saving for the four door

Old 12-01-2004, 07:17 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: TeeWJay426

If the Charger had remained all along, it probably would have changed a lot. Ma Mopar did away with ALL rear drive cars in.... what was it... 1990? The Charger took a big departure from its roots in '75 when it became a Cordoba knock-off, and got even worse in '82 when it became a striped front-drive Omnirizon. On the other hand, looking at something from one of those OTHER companies... ie, Mustang, Corvette, etc.... they too strayed from their roots, not quite as far, but have remained a lot closer to their original concepts than this new 'Charger'. IMHO, they should have left the name dead and buried until they came up with a car closer to what the Charger was originally intended to be in '66. This 2006 version is a 300C in Dodge clothing.... not a bad car by any means, but NOT a Charger!
Very well put.

~Amanda

Old 12-01-2004, 07:43 PM
redriderbob
Banned

The new 2006 Dodge Charger's name doesn't bother me. But if I had it my way at Chrysler Group, this car would not be called the Charger, but instead the Dodge Coronet! I would save the Charger name for a two door coupe version, w/ more detail to the of the Chargers of the late 60's and early 70's. But the name Dodge Charger, just sounds right together. Just like the remake of the Dodge Magnum name... Dodge and Magnum just sound good for one another... now just build me a 2-door Coupe GTO/Mustang killer called the Dodge Challenger and we got ourself the best three cars on the planet!

redriderbob

Old 12-01-2004, 07:58 PM
TeeWJay426
Record Breaker

I don't object to Dodge reusing the Charger name. I object to the car they have chosen to put it on. Calling it the Coronet would have been a better choice.
I would save the Charger name for a two door coupe version, w/ more detail to the of the Chargers of the late 60's and early 70's.
On this point we agree. I don't object to the reuse of the Magnum name, either. The name 'Charger' just carries a lot more signifance, historically and image-wise, for Dodge..... such that they should have been a whole lot more selective on the car they chose to put it on.

Old 12-01-2004, 09:47 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its crap..and thats that..i dont care if it runs 10, stock. much like i dont care if the SRTs can run low 13s/high 12s stock. they need to make a damn coupe other than the piece of mistu crap im stuck with. as a mopar driver, everywhere i go i have to listen to five-blow and cumaro drivers go on and on about how dodge doesnt make a "muscle car"...aside from the rich mans toy that is the viper..my only comeback is the SRT4...a 4 door neon...the neon part is fine but dodges proliferation of the 4 door disgusts me.

Old 12-01-2004, 10:01 PM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame

hey they musta gotten my mail

j/k

hate the new charger design liek the looks of the nascar design tho

they need a muscle car in there line up

2 door, rear wheel drive, 345 or + cid, you get the picture...to bad they dont

Quick Reply: 2006 Dodge Charger Gets Hate Mail: