Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Chrysler expanding Detroit plant for car-based Grand Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 06:28 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Chrysler expanding Detroit plant for car-based Grand Cherokee

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/13/c...rand-cherokee/

Old 08-31-2008, 07:04 PM
Exubus
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice to see some new jobs getting created in Detroit for a change... hopefully the additional product is a successful launch.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:35 PM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

" we can't imagine that Chrysler would make the mistake of alienating its vast army of die-hard Jeep fans by making its flagship product too road-biased. " Umm.....WHAT???? What rock has this doofus been living under? Hellloooooooo---Compass? Patriot? 2wd Wrangler unlimited?

This is bad news indeed. Ok, so most SUVs are going car based since the whole trend is pretty much over. But there's still a need for a 5 passenger enclosed vehicle that can tow a trailer or haul cargo. Nothing car based is up to task or ever will be. If they want to leave those duties to the Wrangler, thats fine. Better to just retire the GC nameplate then to defile it by turning it into another CUV. They have the Dodge Journey to fill that gap.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:51 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

All I have to say is what the hell

I think it's a smart move, Honda's doing it, Toyota's doing it, time to be competitive!

Old 09-05-2008, 08:22 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grungerockjeeper
" we can't imagine that Chrysler would make the mistake of alienating its vast army of die-hard Jeep fans by making its flagship product too road-biased. " Umm.....WHAT???? What rock has this doofus been living under? Hellloooooooo---Compass? Patriot? 2wd Wrangler unlimited?

This is bad news indeed. Ok, so most SUVs are going car based since the whole trend is pretty much over. But there's still a need for a 5 passenger enclosed vehicle that can tow a trailer or haul cargo. Nothing car based is up to task or ever will be. If they want to leave those duties to the Wrangler, thats fine. Better to just retire the GC nameplate then to defile it by turning it into another CUV. They have the Dodge Journey to fill that gap.
Agreed! People purchase Jeeps because of Jeep's off-road reputation, they don't buy them for their fuel economy. The issue is Jeep has tried this as you already pointed out and it hasn't worked. They just need to do a better job at improving the efficiency out of the Grand Cherokee. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Provide a 6-speed that actually has wisely chosen gearing that will make the engine run at a lower RPM.
2. Utilize GDI on gas power plants
3. Loose the "why did they even make it" 3.7L V6 with a V6 that actually can compete in the market so then people not as many people feel the need or want to upgrade to a V8 and provide better than 1mpg fuel economy improvement over the V8s (suggest either a V6 version of the Hemi, a tall geared 4.0L, or a MDS version of one of the upcoming Phoenix engines).
4. Offer a CDR with a better transmission that will allow it to get un-SUV like mileage and make it afforable for crying out loud (why would you pay around $40K for slightly better mileage).
5. There is another option, but I hate it and I refuse to say it, but I'm sure you know what it is as it was just utilized on the Aspen/Durango, and I would rather see that happen than see them try to transform the AMC Eagle into the Grand Cherokee.

If they want to do it the car-based way do that with Dodge or Chrysler, not Jeep.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:21 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper

Originally Posted by grungerockjeeper
Well The Compass and Patriot aren't flagship vehicles...

Old 09-05-2008, 11:41 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Midnight
Well The Compass and Patriot aren't flagship vehicles...
Neither was the Liberty, but it was a immediate success the way it was. Chrysler has tried this now with the Pacifica, Journey, the Compass, and the Patriot. The Journey the jury is still out on, the Pacifica failed, and the Compass/Patriot haven't done well. I'm just not convinced that this is a good direction when it seems as though Chrysler hasn't figured this one out yet.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper

I don't like it either, but I was just defending the guy who got called a doofus.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:49 AM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

I don't like it either, but I was just defending the guy who got called a doofus.
Oh, okay. I didn't notice that earlier.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:22 PM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

Why? I was seriously pulling my punches because I didnt want to go on some swearing rant. Even all my dead brain cells know better than to make a statement like that.

Quick Reply: Chrysler expanding Detroit plant for car-based Grand Cherokee