Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Say GOODBYE to Chrysler.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 09:07 PM
silvermach2002
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Say GOODBYE to Chrysler.

Chrysler sales were down 53% last quarter. And Toyota sold more Camery's than Chrysler sold cars in 2008. It's sad, but I don't think they will be around much longer.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/090107/autos_chrysler.html

Old 01-07-2009, 09:13 PM
rare aries
Keeper of the Ks

Wow! If Chrysler is to survive, the company, Dodge included needs to bring back the K-car, not in the sense the name but rather a line of cars sedan and 5 door, that are cheap to buy and maintain, that have style and would appeal to all consumers. Also they should offer the options A La Carte why should consumers have to get the leather wrapped steering wheel just to get the power seats,they should be able to get just the options they want. The last time the company was in trouble like this the K saved them, so why couldn't they do it again?

Last edited by rare aries; 01-08-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:14 PM
Nofrag
Champion

A la carte is very difficult in mass production, slows everything right down. Also, if cars were made to order, they wouldn't sell. If somebody has to wait 6 weeks for a caliber, they're buying a camry instead. Made to order only flies when the car costs over $100k

Old 01-08-2009, 03:15 AM
bberretta

Most companies still offer a la carte in a limited way. They offer base packages and then dealer installed options. Back in the 90s I worked for Toyota and that's how it was done. If you bought a truck and wanted AC on it and a CD player, you bought the color, drivetrain, and interior package off the lot you wanted and the dealer installed the AC and radio you wanted. Now, items like a leather wrapped steering wheel would be part of a premium interior package but you can purchase a MyGig radio, DVD players, etc.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:10 AM
osufans
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They should make it like Honda does, you have about 4 levels to choose from, and anything else is dealer installed. That way you sell what you have and don't have to do a "dealer locate" for a car with the specific options you want.

I think this would help all the manufacturers, not only with selling vehicles, but with cost and production as well.

And I agree, Chrysler needs to find a multi-level platform that will expand their sales and reduce costs. Unfortunately what happens when a company is down is that they start skimping, because they can't afford to put all the extras in a vehicle, which then makes them cheaper, which then causes reliability issues, which then causes the company to go even further down.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A friend of mine has a very nice Altima; however, he couldn't get the heated side mirrors *UNLESS* he upgraded to the 6-cylinder. Kind of screwy and defeats the purpose of buying a gas saver. He bought the 4-cylinder and then located a set of mirrors from another source and installed them himself.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:25 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

The news is grim, but I'm not counting Chrysler out, yet. They got the loan, so hopefully they can pull through. I am dismayed at the public response to Chrysler designs. I think the only ugly car in the whole line up is the Caliber-mini Aztec look and all. I love the all-American muscle look they have gone to. I guess the nuetered Japanese look is here to stay. The only American cars doing well are the Japanese knock-offs: Chevy Malibu, Ford Fusion, Cadillac(anything). I really thought cars like the Charger/300 and Avenger/Sebring, with their muscular styling and powerful, yet fuel efficient engines would really kick butt. I didn't realize the majority of Americans, especially women, would get so wet over bland, anime styled cars-Camry and any Lexus especially. I call it the metrosexualizing of auto design. H@ll, even the French have better styling than the Japanese. Whether Chrysler pulls through, or not, I am deeply saddened by the limp-wristed styling direction that Americans are favoring.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:17 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the big three were to combine forces and fight against the imports, it would make all the difference. I am not suggesting that they combine into a chit company like AMC, but they should lay off the competition between themselves. I also think that even though Ford is doing good money wise, by them not taking part in the bailout will hurt them in the long run.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:53 AM
Nofrag
Champion

Well I think that in some ways they've already layed off some of the competition, for example the new Silverado commercial takes a nice stab directly at the Tundra, and V6 trucks in general, and the pansies that buy them lol.

Last edited by Nofrag; 01-09-2009 at 01:55 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:38 AM
bberretta

Originally Posted by Nofrag
Well I think that in some ways they've already layed off some of the competition, for example the new Silverado commercial takes a nice stab directly at the Tundra, and V6 trucks in general, and the pansies that buy them lol.
Saw that one tonight during the game- very amusing.
My suggestion- quit making the same vehicle with different grilles and headlights and calling it two different models. Make one good model with various trim levels that is much more reliable. For example- why have the Town and Country and Grand Caravan- make one and cut down on design and production costs. Offer upgrades to headlights, interior, etc that can be dealer installed. Make one wiring harness that can have additional modular harnesses added on rather than limiting a model by not allowing upgrades due to harness limitations. Granted, I'm no expert, but they need to start listening to the public more- we tend to have some pretty good ideas. The Scion is so popular because you can drive off the lot in a "factory custom." I think the same philosophy can be applied to luxury cars and trucks as well. Turn service departments into the finishing departments- finishing a build just the way the customer wants it.

Quick Reply: Say GOODBYE to Chrysler.