Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

NASCAR and the new Charger?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 06:45 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: NASCAR and the new Charger?

Wow. No insults were intended.

I don't consider anyone on this board as "average". I think we are all informed enough to know that our cars/trucks are not what they are running on the track, or even close to what's being run. That's the shame of this whole thing. I've always been a diehard MOPAR fan and would love seeing a HEMI racing out there. To me, there is little to be proud of since it's not all MOPAR.

Please don't be insulted. Or if it makes you feel any better you can insult me back.

Old 02-18-2004, 07:24 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not at all... I just thought it was a bit dry... LOL! NASCAR fans aren't average at all... the cars suck compared to the ones the were as much a demolition derby as a race, but the cars of today are here, no matter how old the technology is, and we can't change it.

No matter what kind of cars new age or old steel, it's always been go fast turn left... pick a number and enjoy. Call me average... but the average fan wouldn't fly out four 4 days in Cali for the April 03 race, hop the red eye back to Detroit and then stay up to watch my son all day. LOL!

But true, stock car is nothing of the sort anymore... it's a shame, but we can't change it... so never mind the little things and I'll see ya on Sunday.

~Amanda

Old 02-18-2004, 08:29 PM
vHiEpMeIr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking about it and the reason I think they don't allow blocking and rubbing is because now a days if a driver does that to another driver and the second driver is injured, there would probably be a lawsuit. Years ago the danger was accepted and now it's not. Plus back in the beginning the cars couldn't go 200 miles per hour.

I agree that they are making it too regulated. NASCAR should be like it was back then, besides, they created IROC for everyone to use the same car.

Old 02-18-2004, 10:31 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been going to Nascar races since I was 10. Maybe the thrill is just wearing off for me, I don't know.

Old 02-19-2004, 07:22 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

Blocking and rubbing is what cost Earnhart his life, he was blocking Marlin so that his other two cars could take first and second and when Marlin made his move Earnhart came down to block/rub him and that was the end.[sm=smiley6.gif]

Old 02-19-2004, 01:06 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator

I definately don't think they should make it was like back then... the cars aren't equipped today for beating and banging, the results would be tragic... The days of "rubbin' is racin'" went with Days Of Thunder.

I'm happy with NASCAR and I will always be a faithful fan no matter what they do.

~Amanda

Old 02-19-2004, 09:11 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're right about Le Mans...I went there for the 24 hours back in the 80s and it was an experience I'll never forget. Besides falling to sleep under the trees with the sound of 200+ mph cars whizzing by, you could get VERY CLOSE to the action...we'd stand about 100 meters past the "Dunlop Tire" bridge and the cars would be downshifting for the S's while still going 120-140 mph. The only thing between them and us was a 2 foot high "guardrail" and one single gendarme about 20 feet away. Talk about "up close and personal"!!!

When I lived in Shelby, N.C. a few years ago, my boss got me a ticket to the Coca-Cola 600 in Charlotte (about 50 miles to the east). It was a totally different atmosphere. No laid-back, easy going, devil-may-care European style here. The crowd/noise/smell were about the same, but it seemed over-organized, over-regulated (only one class of cars) and I never felt like I was "into" the race. Don't get me wrong though, it WAS still the
2nd best race I've EVER been too!!![sm=smiley20.gif]

FYI, www.howstuffworks.com has a good section on how NASCAR cars are built and operate...I thought I knew most of the stuff about them, but I learned a few things at the website. Oops, gotta go make my prediction for the Subway 400 at the Mobil 1 website...how many Vipers could I buy for the 1 million dollar prize? Almost a dozen![sm=smiley36.gif]

Old 02-20-2004, 02:24 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

That how I feel about it. I really enjoyed watching the American Le Mans race at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course 2 years ago. And of course I love the drags.[sm=smiley31.gif]

Quick Reply: NASCAR and the new Charger?